Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
Mr Winters
Pffff

Good and Evil

So right now my father is watching a program on TV, there's a bunch of people talking about the Newtwon shooting and all, and a couple of them are saying that there are evil people, that some people are born evil.

Do you agree with this? Do you think good or evil is something you are born with, or do you think a person becomes evil through their life experiences?

Firs of all I've always thought that there's no universal, predefined good or evil, since they are both purely subjective matters (bad thing for you might be good in the eyes of others and all that shit); I believe the concept of good and evil comes with superior intelligence (wild animals aren't evil) and is therefore subject to our interpretation. And the idea that some people are actually born evil sounds ridiculous to me.

I don't believe anyone is born evil. I believe we are modeled by our environment and external circumstances as we grow, and I think these factors determine our way of thinking and therefore our way of dealing with life. I don't know what stuff Adam Lanza was going through, but whatever it was he decided to deal with it the GTA way. I think he was obviously fucked up in the head, but that doesn't mean he was evil from the beginning. He was probably a weak minded person with a predisposition to psychopathy and mental instability, but if that's the case that wasn't his fault at all. I am by no means trying to justify what he did, my point is just that he wasn't born evil.

Discuss.

Last edited by Mr Winters : 12-17-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Mr Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Some people are certainly born psychopathic or sociopathic, and the former could be definitely viewed as evil if one was so minded to call it that. It depends on your definition of evil.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Obsceneairwaves
A'int no prohpet

I honestly don't know.

it's hard to even describe evil, Because If you were the only one that existed. There would be no such thing.

So perhaps,evil is what people dislike. But I dislike madonna, and arguably, she isn't evil.

So, Is it what humans unanimously dislike? not really, because if we call someone evil forwhat they do, that person obviously likes it, so it's not unanimous

So are minorities evil?

I... haven't had any sleep in a really long time and I'm not making sense to myself.

have fun doing what you do
Old 12-17-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
lncognito
Encephalectomized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hart
Some people are certainly born psychopathic or sociopathic, and the former could be definitely viewed as evil if one was so minded to call it that. It depends on your definition of evil.
Isn't the very definition of sociopathy that it is caused by social forces?

Personally, I sincerely doubt that people are born evil; the foundation might have been laid but I still think conditioning is the most important in this regard.

Edit: I should probably point out that I have no meaningful understanding of evil, though...

Last edited by lncognito : 12-17-2012 at 02:40 PM.
lncognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

good and evil are both abstract concepts relative an individuals perceived judgement; generalised to the population through a basic averaged idea of what is morally acceptable. upbringing takes its toll on an individual but an innate predisposition to having a specific personality or favour for a particular type of belief is possible but not quanitfiable. therefore this thread is fairly pointless

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_predisposition

Last edited by Banjocal : 12-17-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Banjocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM   #6
Metallicaxp
Floating through time

Good and Evil are subjective to the viewer.

People are born like little modelling blocks. Some of us are born broken and have a hard time forming properly. Not calling those people evil, just different.

Our culture has lots to play of the development of children, so whose to say there is a specific stimuli that causes people to perform such violent actions.

Blame whatever you want, cause in the long run it's everybody's fault.

╔═══╗
║  ██ ║
╠═══╣
║╬   ║
╚═══╝
Metallicaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #7
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Psycopathy doesn't make people evil. It just prevents a person from having empathy, so emotionally based decisions are much more cut and dry and black and white, but that doesn't stop them from doing good things too.

Pretty much agree with you otherwise, TS.

Also, this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
Old 12-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
Mr Winters
Pffff

I'm asking this because I've seen people absolutely convinced that there's a universal definition of good and evil beyond our opinion and interpretation.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Winters
I'm asking this because I've seen people absolutely convinced that there's a universal definition of good and evil beyond our opinion and interpretation.
im not the smartest bloke in the world and even i think thats completely ****ing stupid. associate with people who arent idiots
Old 12-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
Mr Winters
Pffff

It was in another forum, not real life friends.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
Aralingh
Intelligent person

There is no good and evil, we're the only species, that we know of by far, that CREATE(not recognize) a distinction between what we VIEW as good and evil.

Morality itself is a man-made concept.
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
guitarhero_764
UG Addict

There are evil actions but its impossible for a person to be good or evil. We're just pure, neutral, consciousness.

last.fm
guitarhero_764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #14
TheTee56
UG'S Banana Saviour

I personally think that we're all born with a cosmic resonance and another is born with an equal cosmic dissonance.

Once we find our opposites we must have cosmic sex.

Those that **** up the process give us psychopaths.

I SAY, I SAY, BEWARE THE BANANA ARMY.

They say when they finally attack, all the impostors will peel themselves. In order to tell if you have been assimilated, check for a zipper somewhere near your pelvis.

TheTee56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aralingh
There is no good and evil, we're the only species, that we know of by far, that CREATE(not recognize) a distinction between what we VIEW as good and evil.

Morality itself is a man-made concept.

Not true. Many mammal species and two or three genera of birds show some concept of right and wrong behavior within society.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #16
Aralingh
Intelligent person

Quote:
Not true. Many mammal species and two or three genera of birds show some concept of right and wrong behavior within society.

How is that?

And even so, it does not mean that they make an actual distinction between two concepts that don't really exist, at least up to the point of recognition of both.

Last edited by Aralingh : 12-17-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Aralingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #17
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

To say that people are born evil is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things because everybody is inherently 'evil' to some degree.

Evil is only defined by what society considers evil.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 12-17-2012 at 03:05 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
Banjocal
be movin yo bricks

Quote:
How is that?

some vague field study where it was inferred based on little evidence or maybe some sort of brain scan and an artificial situation where the right areas of the brain lit up

also, your avatar makes me think of mistress ibanez
Old 12-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #19
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?

Quote:
How is that?

Well most primate species will punish those that act in a way that the group finds unfavorable. I believe elephants have been recorded as doing the same. Both primates and elephants, and there's some evidence to suggest that it's true in cetaceans too, have been seen to reward 'positive' behavior as well.

Some species of crow have been shown to display similar group behavior, although they don't seem to reward positive behavior with anywhere near as much fervor as punishing negative behavior.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:04 PM   #20
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
Banned

THIS GOD THAT I WORSHIP, THIS DEMON I BLAME, CONSPIRE AS ONE IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME IT'S EXACTLY THE SAAAAAAAAAAAME

#realtalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTee56
I personally think that we're all born with a cosmic resonance and another is born with an equal cosmic dissonance.

Once we find our opposites we must have cosmic sex.

shit, dude. That was such a beautiful analogy (if you meant what I think you mean)

The whole point of cosmic sex/membrane vibration/the distance between polarity/the dance of shiva is about finding a balance between the two, acknowledging that nothing is ever more one way (good or bad) than another, and moving in a straight line upwards/nowhere/downwards/everywhere from that

yeah.

Last edited by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT : 12-17-2012 at 03:07 PM.
KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: