Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
nedthehead

How do I go about fixing dead frets?

My Tele has two dead frets. 18th and 19th, but only on the high e string. It's starting to bother me a little bit. I've attempted to raise the action, but it's definitely a fret issue. Taking it in is kind of a last resort effort, so what would be the best practice of going about resolving this issue?
nedthehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Freaky Alien Genotype

Take a fret file and a crowning tool to level them. Not the sort of thing you can do at home without special tools though.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd

Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
I leveled some high frets using the advice given in this video. I had a dead fret and two that were fretting out when bending.

I followed the steps in this video, and the issue was fixed. I had high frets so it's pretty easy to fix, lower the (in my case 3) high frets. Low frets is a different ball game you either have to lower all the other frets to the same level or put a new fret in.
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Well; there is a difference between a high fret and a dead fret. High frets can be fixed with a fret leveling job. But if the fret is "dead," that is to say, it is worn out, then you need to replace that fret. If you are going for a re-fret job, you might consider using stainless steel frets. Those suckers last for ages and they make string bending a lot smoother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd

Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
Well; there is a difference between a high fret and a dead fret. High frets can be fixed with a fret leveling job. But if the fret is "dead," that is to say, it is worn out, then you need to replace that fret. If you are going for a re-fret job, you might consider using stainless steel frets. Those suckers last for ages and they make string bending a lot smoother.

My mistake.

In my case the 16th fret was too high so when I played the 15th fret it made no sound, which is why I referred to it as dead.
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #6
krimsonguitar

FYI, before you start leveling frets you have to make sure that they are seated. Sometimes just seating the frets will get rid of those high spots that are dead.
krimsonguitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: