Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton
 
necrosis1193's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Moon
You're drunk, aren't you?
__________________
Hey you! Yes, you! Buy my music! It's cool and stuff!

Baltimore Orioles: 52-42
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 3-1
2014 Pick 'Em: 36-25
necrosis1193 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #22
tukk04
UG's Neil Young
 
tukk04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamight
Apparently you Americans aren't big on mathematics (Fahrenheit... wtf?), and more specifically orders of magnitude. You seem to agree that values increase from left to right on a numeric axis, but where most countries will apply that same logic to date formats, for some reason you put the medium component (in orders of magnitude) before the lowest one, while keeping the largest one last.

Personally I prefer the DD/MM/YYYY format, but I would think someone just did Word/#/# for some reason, I'm probably wrong but whatever.
__________________
Reverbnation
Facebook

Soundcloud
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #23
Ninja Vampirate
up the hoods
 
Ninja Vampirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangor, Norn Iron/Manchester
Oh god, it's this conversation again

Maybe we'll finally resolve it this time
__________________
Wu-Tang is for the children
Ninja Vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:24 PM   #24
DonGlover
UG's Tom Servo
 
DonGlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Satellite of Love, Somewhere in Time and Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Vampirate
Oh god, it's this conversation again

Maybe we'll finally resolve it this time

Nothing gets resolved here, just argued to the point of getting closed or until everyone forgets about it. Then it resurfaces in a new thread, eventually.
__________________
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I'm the wind, baby!


▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DonGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #25
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton
 
necrosis1193's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Moon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGlover
Nothing gets resolved here, just argued to the point of getting closed or until everyone forgets about it. Then it resurfaces in a new thread, eventually.


Well not with that attitude it doesn't.
__________________
Hey you! Yes, you! Buy my music! It's cool and stuff!

Baltimore Orioles: 52-42
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 3-1
2014 Pick 'Em: 36-25
necrosis1193 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #26
DonGlover
UG's Tom Servo
 
DonGlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Satellite of Love, Somewhere in Time and Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by necrosis1193
Well not with that attitude it doesn't.

I'm going to argue this now until the thread gets closed or we both get bored. I'm already bored though...
__________________
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I'm the wind, baby!


▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DonGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #27
Ninja Vampirate
up the hoods
 
Ninja Vampirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangor, Norn Iron/Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGlover
Nothing gets resolved here, just argued to the point of getting closed or until everyone forgets about it. Then it resurfaces in a new thread, eventually.


Nah, we're bound to come to some sort of solution or agreement eventually. And I dunno why, but there's just something about this thread that feels right.
__________________
Wu-Tang is for the children
Ninja Vampirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #28
Dynamight
Registered User
 
Dynamight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Well of course it doesn't get resolved—your country still refuses to adopt the logical date format.
__________________
The more you say 'epic' the less it means.
Dynamight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #29
DonGlover
UG's Tom Servo
 
DonGlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Satellite of Love, Somewhere in Time and Space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamight
Well of course it doesn't get resolved—your country still refuses to adopt the logical date format.

If you were talking to me, then I don't know what you're talking about because, as far as I know, Canadians use DD/MM/YY(YY). I know I sure do.
__________________
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

I'm the wind, baby!


▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
DonGlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #30
Ignite
   
 
Ignite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamight
Apparently you Americans aren't big on mathematics (Fahrenheit... wtf?), and more specifically orders of magnitude. You seem to agree that values increase from left to right on a numeric axis, and that hours should be followed by minutes and then seconds, but where most countries will apply that logic to their date format, for some reason you'll place first the component that is actually second in order of magnitude. This baffles me.

lol

there are only 12 months
there can be up to 31 days

placing first the number with the least amount of things it represents seems more logical. And it looks way better.
__________________
Ignite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #31
The Madcap
Classical Guitarist
 
The Madcap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Austin, TX
I'll be honest, I obviously don't believe that there's some astrological event that will change the world tomorrow, however I am a bit worried that there will be dumbasses in some Jim Jones-esque cult that will try and go on some killing spree or something because of the prophecy.
__________________

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012 (I know, at this point it's sad).
Voted UG's best Male dresser 2011.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrashtasic15
Ahem, no offense to any of the fags mentioned.
The Madcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #32
guitarmaniac88
Procrastinate & Dominate!
 
guitarmaniac88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamight
Apparently you Americans aren't big on mathematics (Fahrenheit... wtf?), and more specifically orders of magnitude. You seem to agree that values increase from left to right on a numeric axis, and that hours should be followed by minutes and then seconds, but where most countries will apply that logic to their date format, for some reason you'll place first the component that is actually second in order of magnitude. This baffles me.



Apparently, you're just stupid.

By your logic, YOU write the date wrong and so do we, it should be YY/MM/DD according to what you just said. If the hours (the biggest), are followed by minutes (middle), followed by seconds (smallest), shouldn't the date be years (biggest), months (middle), days (smallest)?
__________________
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.


Top trolling abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
guitarmaniac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #33
CrimsonBizzare
spelt bizarre incorrectly
 
CrimsonBizzare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Great Britain
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmaniac88
it should be YY/MM/DD according to what you just said. If the hours (the biggest), are followed by minutes (middle), followed by seconds (smallest), shouldn't the date be years (biggest), months (middle), days (smallest)?

YYYY/MM/DD is the international standard date notation and what we should use (and what is already commonly used in Asia).
CrimsonBizzare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #34
ErikLensherr
UG Fanatic
 
ErikLensherr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBizzare
YYYY/MM/DD is the international standard date notation and what we should use (and what is already commonly used in Asia).

They also eat dogs in Asia.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerAddict
Tfw the woman you love is without her dog and having night terrors and u can't do anything to help her
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #35
guitarmaniac88
Procrastinate & Dominate!
 
guitarmaniac88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBizzare
YYYY/MM/DD is the international standard date notation and what we should use (and what is already commonly used in Asia).



They also have Asians in Asia.
__________________
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.


Top trolling abilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
guitarmaniac88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #36
eGraham
Green and Submarine
 
eGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikLensherr
there's only 12 months in the year wtf is this "22/12/12" buffoonery

That was a very successful troll post.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.




October 23, 2014
eGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #37
arabmetallion
Registered User
 
arabmetallion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: In a frozen, barren wasteland (AKA Canada)
narp
__________________
My shitty gear:
Vox AD30VT-XL
Danelectro Fab Metal
Zoom 505 II
ESP Ltd MH-50
arabmetallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #38
macaroni
UG's Colourblind Guy
 
macaroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Straya
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdof
First of all, if you're posting a date that's strictly numerical, it goes my MM/DD/YYYY (12/20/2012 is today for instance). The only appropriate time to put the day first is if you spell out the month, such as 21 December 2012

Secondly, there is no secondly....


You americans are doing it wrong.
macaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:35 PM   #39
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->
 
guitgrinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
12/21/12 is like saying "December 21st, 2012."

21/12/12 is like saying "21st of December, 2012"


This is exactly the same as debating whether it's "color" or "colour." They both mean the same thing & are equally valid.
guitgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #40
macaroni
UG's Colourblind Guy
 
macaroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Straya
color is not valid
macaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:54 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.