Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-19-2012, 04:12 AM   #1
amit190
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
why people use many effects and not just get a multi effect?

hi! not sure f thats the right place to ask it but-
why people use many effects and not just get a multi effect?

is there any high quality multi effect that will give the same quality of a train of different delays,distortions and so?

thanks!
amit190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #2
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow
 
darkwolf291's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NJ
Because one pedal made to do one effect usually does it better than a jack-of-all-trades one.
darkwolf291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
losing battle
UG's Trollestia
 
losing battle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Stealing your underpants!
Some people like the customizability, others its a financial thing being they don't have 2 grand+ for axe effects. For me personally its the fact its way way way cheaper to upgrade a pedal (meaning you are not happy with one pedal and want to switch or something new comes out and blows something out of the water like in the case of fuzz, delay or reverb). Some people also just like the sound of old school analog pedals as well. Its a fairly divese pool of reasons why many people stick with pedals.
__________________
BTMAM was never relevant
Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser
 
NakedInTheRain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Straya
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit190
hi! not sure f thats the right place to ask it but-
why people use many effects and not just get a multi effect?

because individual pedals are generally better than their multifx counterparts.

Quote:
is there any high quality multi effect that will give the same quality of a train of different delays,distortions and so?

not really. eventide and strymon make decent delay and modulation multifx, but distortion on most multifx is generally shit.
__________________
Pedalboard Thread Native: The Fuzzy Little Man Peach

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:29 AM   #5
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
I think a lot of people that go boutique do it for the sake of doing it - it's fun, and cool to build a pedal collection.

A fact to consider is that while there are some MFX that can beat out any stompbox any day (TC Electronic, Fractal), digital dirt/OD sims just aren't that good yet.

Personally, I started off with just pedals, then went completely digital/MIDI, and now recently I've found what works for me with a combo of both (analog dirt & compression, digital everything else).



Another huge factor is what people *need*. Personally, I absolutely despise the tapdance. It's why I gave up pedals in the first place. Some people though, just don't use many different sounds, so they never really deal with the tapdance. I do, so I needed to go MIDI.

MIDI gives a ton of options and customizeability. Some people just simply don't like having that, and prefer an old fashioned straight up analog setup.



TL;DR there's lots of reasons to go digital/MIDI or go analog, and there are top quality options in both formats (perhaps with the exception of digital dirt)... at the end of the day it doesn't matter what other people do - just experiment until you find what works for you.
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 12-19-2012 at 04:31 AM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwolf291
Because one pedal made to do one effect usually does it better than a jack-of-all-trades one.
Depends on the unit.
Admit it, you're all just ludites that don't understand MIDI aren't you?



__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #7
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.
 
Eppicurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Depends on the unit.
Admit it, you're all just ludites that don't understand MIDI aren't you?




Pfft, it's all about the USB and Firewire now gramps.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:20 AM   #8
gerrywm
Registered User
 
gerrywm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Limerick, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Depends on the unit.
Admit it, you're all just ludites that don't understand MIDI aren't you?






Yes, yes I am..........
__________________
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #9
dark Mass
邪魔よ&
 
dark Mass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tyre
Multi effects that most people can afford sound like shit imo.

There are some effects that digital effects units cannot recreate faithfully like germanium fuzzes and tape echos.
__________________
私の前を遮る愚か者め沈めぇ!
dark Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:40 AM   #10
Talon64
Registered User
 
Talon64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I think a lot of people that go boutique do it for the sake of doing it - it's fun, and cool to build a pedal collection.

A fact to consider is that while there are some MFX that can beat out any stompbox any day (TC Electronic, Fractal), digital dirt/OD sims just aren't that good yet.

Personally, I started off with just pedals, then went completely digital/MIDI, and now recently I've found what works for me with a combo of both (analog dirt & compression, digital everything else).



Another huge factor is what people *need*. Personally, I absolutely despise the tapdance. It's why I gave up pedals in the first place. Some people though, just don't use many different sounds, so they never really deal with the tapdance. I do, so I needed to go MIDI.

MIDI gives a ton of options and customizeability. Some people just simply don't like having that, and prefer an old fashioned straight up analog setup.



TL;DR there's lots of reasons to go digital/MIDI or go analog, and there are top quality options in both formats (perhaps with the exception of digital dirt)... at the end of the day it doesn't matter what other people do - just experiment until you find what works for you.





This has to be a well thought out reply but i'd like to add one thing....

A lot of guitarists are lazy and cbf reading a manual and take the time to learn how to get the best out of a multi effect unit so they stick with what they know... i also use a combination of both multi and stomp on my pedalboard
Talon64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #11
gerrywm
Registered User
 
gerrywm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Limerick, Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon64
This has to be a well thought out reply but i'd like to add one thing....

A lot of guitarists are lazy and cbf reading a manual and take the time to learn how to get the best out of a multi effect unit so they stick with what they know... i also use a combination of both multi and stomp on my pedalboard


I am also a bit guilty of this, I had a Boss Me33 before and found it a nightmare to get all the levels from the different banks the same a nightmare...... But I think some of the new (and very expensive) G systems can plug into a laptop and have a nice user display, thats something id be interested in if I could afford it..

Would love something like J from dinosaur jr and Dan from Black keys have where they have all their stomp boxes controled by a nice tidy foot switch board - videos are on youtube
__________________
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
gerrywm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #12
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
My Boss GT 100 sounds like shit compared to the effects I have now, and a lot of my pedals are Boss!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
sysD
Registered User
 
sysD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: underground
i find that having to bend down and adjust a setting every time i need to switch fx is a hassle

its easier to just use individual stompboxes to get the sound you need at any given moment... plus lots of fun ways rearrange your fx chain to get diff sounds... as well as combining fx... which doesn't really happen with multifx pedals, unless you're going to buy something really high end.
__________________
sigless
sysD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
sonny bb
UG's New-ish Guy
 
sonny bb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: texas
I use a combination of both and I always have. A MFX for delays and some effects and a mild eq notch for my amp and everything else in individual pedals. mostly distortions/overdrives, but I use a couple modulators, chorus, phasers and wah. It's much more fun for me and it just looks so cool to have a board full of wonderful stompboxes! I use the MXF for recording too, but to get a great distortion takes time and out of the box thinking, but it is possible!!
__________________
:
"Stop shooting me!!!GAHHHH!!!"
<(0_0<)(>0_0)> FU
^(0_0)^^(0_0)^ Sion
(>0_0)><(0_0<) HA!!!
<(*~*)>
sonny bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #15
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysD
i find that having to bend down and adjust a setting every time i need to switch fx is a hassle

its easier to just use individual stompboxes to get the sound you need at any given moment... plus lots of fun ways rearrange your fx chain to get diff sounds... as well as combining fx... which doesn't really happen with multifx pedals, unless you're going to buy something really high end.

WTF? I use a MFX rack system mainly so I don't have to reach down and adjust anything. Everything is programmed with the settings I need for the song and I just select the right patch for it. No adjustments needed because you you've already done it. No tap dancing, just hit it and go.
Sounds to me like you've only used cheap crap.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 12-19-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #16
sysD
Registered User
 
sysD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: underground
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
WTF? I use a MFX rack system mainly so I don't have to reach down and adjust anything. Everything is programmed with the settings I need for the song and I just select the right patch for it. No adjustments needed because you you've already done it. No tap dancing, just hit it and go.
Sounds to me like you've only used cheap crap.



yeah man, i don't spend over $300 for any individual pedal, you're so superior to me

that being said, i like the tones i get out of my "cheap crap"
__________________
sigless
sysD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 AM   #17
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sysD
yeah man, i don't spend over $300 for any individual pedal, you're so superior to me

that being said, i like the tones i get out of my "cheap crap"

WTF are you talking about? I point out why what you said is complete crap and I'm claiming to be superior? **** off idiot.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #18
sysD
Registered User
 
sysD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: underground
"arrogence and self-awareness rarely go together...."
__________________
sigless
sysD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #19
amit190
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
WTF? I use a MFX rack system mainly so I don't have to reach down and adjust anything. Everything is programmed with the settings I need for the song and I just select the right patch for it. No adjustments needed because you you've already done it. No tap dancing, just hit it and go.
Sounds to me like you've only used cheap crap.



what is MFX rack system? never heard about it..
amit190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:21 AM   #20
Cathbard
Grumpy Old Tech
 
Cathbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Australia
What you said was just plain wrong. Using individual pedals doesn't mean you have to bend over and adjust things less often - quite the opposite. In fact so wrong that what people like myself have gone away from individual pedals precisely to avoid doing what you are claiming to be a MFX unit's shortcomings. It's pedals that suffer from that, not proper MFX units.
You're just wrong, wrong, wrong.



Quote:
Originally Posted by amit190
what is MFX rack system? never heard about it..
Any multi effects unit/s that live in a rack.
__________________
Gilchrist custom guitar
Yamaha SBG500
Telecaster
Randall RM100
Abbey Harmonic II
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification

Last edited by Cathbard : 12-19-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Cathbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:23 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.