Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Become or Guitar god or work your way up?
Become Guitar God 26 50.98%
Work for it 25 49.02%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #21
Hail
kill both bass players

lol "guitar god" what are we 14
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
Quintex
Still Learning

I will make that decision when I get to the Crossroads.

Ingacy Jan Paderewski (1860 - 1941)
Quintex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #23
Mr.-Bungle
Mr. Bungle

Nice avatar TS. Damn good album. My favourite PTH album to be honest.
Mr.-Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #24
gunsnroses#1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simper-Yut
Hard work, way more gratifying. I'd become bored with music if I didn't have to work to become better at it.

Appears the ones that prefer the "guitar god" route are only doing so for the fame and attention they would receive as a results which can only mean one thing: they'll never ever be good enough to achieve such success. There are not shortcuts.

It's a hypothetical situation. I'd pick the money cuz I come from a broke-ass family. Sure I love playing guitar and want to be god at it, but not as much as I'd like to not have to worry about money ever again. Get off your high horse.
gunsnroses#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #25
6-String_Madman

Laziness and expecting everything to be handed to you is utter cr** and worthless.
6-String_Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #26
fearofthemark
UG Fanatic

Guitar god. There are plenty other things to work my way up to, and it would be nice to have a solid career in music lined up for me in an instant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

fearofthemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #27
zackk

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffRG7321
You have clearly never worked for anything in your life.

Them feels when you earn something after hard work > Them feels when you're given something without any work put in

Oh, I know what earning something feels like. I have worked for things and achieved goals in the past. It is a good feeling, but to be honest, if I'm given the choice, I would prefer to be automatically great at guitar. I'm not bad now, but I could be better. To achieve that without effort would be ideal. Obviously, this is impossible. Let me ask you this: would you be unhappy if you won the lottery? I would certainly prefer that over never earning that much money throughout the course of my life. People are different.

Last edited by zackk : 12-20-2012 at 11:14 PM.
zackk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:17 PM   #28
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Is the question giving us the choice to be a guitar god who doesn't know how to play a song?
Old 12-20-2012, 11:45 PM   #29
food1010
Bassist

If we're talking technical skills, nah. I can always work on my chops if I need to. However, having an incredible musical mind (i.e. impeccable ear, super creative), it would be tempting.

Imagine doing interviews. When asked how you honed your skills, you just respond with "eh, some dude just gave me all my skills."

And if you are thinking in terms of money, you're mistaking yourself. No one got to the top just by being good at their instrument. You only get there by devoting your life to networking. Being good at your instrument just makes it possible. Now, if you already have all the connections, then the guitar skills could be what sets you over the edge...

Last edited by food1010 : 12-20-2012 at 11:50 PM.
food1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #30
macashmack
Maskcashmack

How could you be a guitar god but have limited musical knowledge? If you truly a GOD, then you would know everything about it. Maybe Im just not understanding it right.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:50 AM   #31
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

When they sort out synaptic programing they'll be able to program muscle memory, so you could play really hard licks fast as hell right away, won't make you a good guitarist though.
Tempoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:35 AM   #32
6-String_Madman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackk
Oh, I know what earning something feels like. I have worked for things and achieved goals in the past. It is a good feeling, but to be honest, if I'm given the choice, I would prefer to be automatically great at guitar. I'm not bad now, but I could be better. To achieve that without effort would be ideal. Obviously, this is impossible. Let me ask you this: would you be unhappy if you won the lottery? I would certainly prefer that over never earning that much money throughout the course of my life. People are different.

FACT: Many lives have been screwed because of winning in lotteries especially where the prizes at stake are huge. Simply because those people we're not prepared to handle such amount.
6-String_Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:19 AM   #33
JimDawson
Storywriter, Guitar nerd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-String_Madman
FACT: Many lives have been screwed because of winning in lotteries especially where the prizes at stake are huge. Simply because those people we're not prepared to handle such amount.

I've heard of this before- it's basically being a fake rich guy. What happens lots of times is that you drop away from the people in your old income bracket while the people in your current bracket don't respect you because you didn't work for your money/don't understand how to be rich.

This creates a social mess.

That said, hard work definitely. I think there's too much hype around becoming some kind of rockstar or whatever. Just do the best you can and you'll eventually be ahead of these 'rockstars' even if you aren't famous.

Famous people are just as stupid as everyone else- just check some of the news on UG.
JimDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:33 AM   #34
20Tigers

I want it all. I want it all. I want it all.
And I want it now.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:47 AM   #35
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole

process is fun. what's life without the journey?
Old 12-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #36
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

I would really want to be able to play instantly what I hear in my head. Some people can do that so are you saying that Steve Vai is bored? Playing the guitar is not about learning the technique for the sake of learning the technique. It's about playing music and with the technique you can play all the music you want.

If I became a guitar god, I would use my skills to write the music I enjoy. You can play in a band and have fun without learning any technique.

So if I had the opportunity to get great skills without any training, I think I would take them. I want to be able to play the music I like. And compose the music I want. I don't really enjoy playing technical exercises, I like playing songs.

Though the musical knowledge part is pretty random. As people have said, you can't be a guitar god without knowing what you are doing. I want to write and play music, not just shred at 999bpm. All the good guitarists know what they want to hear and know how to play it.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 12-21-2012 at 04:40 PM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #37
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Some people can do that so are you saying that Steve Vai is bored?

i sure hope so, i know i am when i listen to him.

how do you go from playing with frank zappa to weedly-ing with a fan mounted to your pedalboard so you can look like a rock god? it's a real shame
Old 12-22-2012, 07:44 AM   #38
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
i sure hope so, i know i am when i listen to him.

how do you go from playing with frank zappa to weedly-ing with a fan mounted to your pedalboard so you can look like a rock god? it's a real shame

This doesn't have anything related to what I said. If you don't like Steve Vai, shut up. It was just an example. And Steve Vai is a guitarist that can do almost anything he wants with his guitar. Replace Steve Vai with whatever good guitarist, it doesn't really matter. It wasn't the main point of what I said. My point was that if you instantly know how to get all the sounds you hear in your head and play them on guitar, you wouldn't be bored at all. I think it would be cool to be able to do that, and the best guitarists can do that. Steve Vai was just an example of a good guitarist. And I know you were just bitching and really knew what I meant.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #39
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
And I know you were just bitching and really knew what I meant.

then why'd you reply if you knew i was trolling lol this forum is easy
Old 12-22-2012, 10:43 AM   #40
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
then why'd you reply if you knew i was trolling lol this forum is easy

Lol nothing like a good troll is there?
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: