User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #1
guitardWARf
UG fuzz warrior

Maple neck

Hi!

I'm looking at buying an Ibanez PGM 301(used). Can anyone tell about the pro's and con's of a maple neck? Also to what should I pay attention to when buying a 2nd hand guitar (especially towards the neck)? Also if there are remarks you have about the PGM 301 feel free to post them :p

Thank you in advance
Line 6 pod GX
Ibanez PGM301
Yamaha self customized EG012
Jackson KVX10
Boss DS1
GE 7
BD2
CS3
Vox satchurator
Home made TS808
Belcat delay
guitardWARf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

There's no such thing as 'pros' and 'cons' in guitar. All that can be said about maple necks, compared to other common neck woods like maple/rosewood,maple/ebony or mahogany/rosewood, is that an all-maple neck typically gives a brighter tone than other wood combinations. Also, since maple is always given a hard finish, you don't need to condition the wood (in fact, you can't, and shouldn't attempt to).
Old 12-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
...is that an all-maple neck typically gives a brighter tone than other wood combinations.

Incorrect. Fret boards are an aesthetic or feel thing. Fretboard wood does not have enough mass to affect tone.

OT: Make sure the neck is not warped (twisted) also check the frets for any damage.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:53 AM   #4
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

They feel very different. If I had to choose I'd choose a Maple every single time. Some guitars have higher frets which lead to less contact in the fretboard which is why I get on with Gibsons quite well, but a Fender RW isn't something I can get on with at all. Feels horrible to me. Depends on the grain too.

There is a tone difference too. I can hear it. But it's not enough for me to choose a guitar based on it. It's not as noticeable as a pickup or amp change.

So for me it's a comfort and preference thing, although I love the look of Rosewood. New fenders can get slippery due to the glossy neck. Not a big deal though, you get used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-20-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
Incorrect. Fret boards are an aesthetic or feel thing. Fretboard wood does not have enough mass to affect tone.
I've swapped necks on enough guitars to categorically say this is not true.

Even the pickguard material can effect the tone of a guitar, fyi. Fretboard woods are one of the core, deciding factors in how a guitar sounds, especially in bolt-on or neck-through guitars.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #6
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:

Even the pickguard material can effect the tone of a guitar, fyi. Fretboard woods are one of the core, deciding factors in how a guitar sounds, especially in bolt-on or neck-through guitars.

This is why I'm glad that I'm a metal player. It really all sounds the same with the right EQ and heavy gain, imo.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd

Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
This is why I'm glad that I'm a metal player. It really all sounds the same with the right EQ and heavy gain, imo.

Careful

That's always been my take as well. I do have wood preferences though, for cosmetic and structural reasons.
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegadethFan18
Careful

That's always been my take as well. I do have wood preferences though, for cosmetic and structural reasons.

I know, someone will probably get butthurt by my comment, but I really doubt they could tell what guitar someone is using on a metal album.

I choose wood largely based those reasons too, as well as weight.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
saint_berzerker
Banned

Quote:

OT: Make sure the neck is not warped (twisted) also check the frets for any damage.

Don't listen to this guy. A maple neck (actually fretboard) has a much different sound than a rosewood or ebony. Much snappier and "trebley-er".

As for feel, it's totally different also.
saint_berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
azrael4h

My 70's Reissue Strat has a Maple neck, and it does have a brighter tone, and is easier to play, than my Blacktop strat with a rosewood fretboard. I ended up loving it so much, that I'm considering trading the blacktop, my Les Paul, and my amp for a new tube amp. I almost never play anything else other than my martin.

So the best thing would be to try it out, see if you like it's feel and sound.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
MrFlibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Well certainly. By the time someone has zeroed the mids, cranked the preamp and drop-tuned to buggery with strings like titanium rods, it really won't matter what style of guitar they have. By that point, really all that matters is if you have pickups with bar magnets or magnetic pole pieces, single coil or humbucker and active or passive.

I do the same, for guitars that I know I'll only be playing hard rock and metal on I aim for light weight and the simplest construction above everything else. But y'know, we can't assume that this applies to everybody and there are a lot of people who will search through these forums (okay, maybe not with the actual search bar...) and read comments and get the wrong idea. Then they'll repeat it and it all spirals out of control.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
Alucard817

Quote:

So you have swapped just the fretboards then?
Two different necks, even of the same wood can have very different dynamics due to density, scale length and quality of wood. Other factors work into it as well, so you swapping out enough necks to categorically say my comment is untrue is moot.
I am only referring to the actual fretboard with my original comment not the entire neck.

Last edited by Alucard817 : 12-20-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
By the time someone has zeroed the mids, cranked the preamp and drop-tuned to buggery with strings like titanium rods

Definitely not the case with me. Gotta have those mids, and I prefer a 10-52s and tune to E standard or Eb standard, sometimes drop D/Db. I definitely don't want to give anyone the wrong idea. The wood really doesn't seem to have an affect when all is said and done because an EQ pedal can go a long way towards shaping the tone. But the pickups do matter, and the pickup traits tend to compound with the traits of the wood, so a poor combination isn't so easy to EQ into and ideal tone. IDK if that made any sense....
Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #14
Air_Vengeance
Registered Kramer User

Quote:

Don't listen to this guy. Biggest ignorant comment I have ever heard.
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Air_Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air_Vengeance
Don't listen to this guy. Biggest ignorant comment I have ever heard.

Instead of just saying I'm ignorant why not explain why?

Or dop you really not know why?

Old 12-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #16
MrFlibble

Quote:
So you have swapped just the fretboards then?
Actually, in one case, yes. Lifted a rosewood fretboard for an ebony one because the damn eejit was all "RAWR, I CAN'T PLAY METAL IF IT'S NOT BLACK". What a surprise, tone got helluva lot brighter and then he complained that the guitar didn't sound the same.

Quote:
Two different necks, even of the same wood can have very different dynamics due to density, scale length and quality of wood. Other factors work into it as well, so you swapping out enough necks to categorically say my comment is untrue is moot.
I am only referring to the actual fretboard with my original comment not the entire neck.
No two samples of the same wood vary enough to completely write off their tonal properties. Maple will always be brighter than rosewood, for example, even if the sample of maple you use is slightly duller in tone than any other given sample of maple.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #17
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd

Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
Quote:
Actually, in one case, yes. Lifted a rosewood fretboard for an ebony one because the damn eejit was all "RAWR, I CAN'T PLAY METAL IF IT'S NOT BLACK". What a surprise, tone got helluva lot brighter and then he complained that the guitar didn't sound the same.

Were the frets made form the same material and did you use the same volume of glue from the same tube/box as the original glue?
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:15 AM   #18
Alucard817

Quote:

Well. I guess that's a yes then. I never have heard a difference between the two.

Quote:
No two samples of the same wood vary enough to completely write off their tonal properties. Maple will always be brighter than rosewood, for example, even if the sample of maple you use is slightly duller in tone than any other given sample of maple.

Ah. Okay then. I stand corrected.
I bow to your knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegadethFan18
Were the frets made form the same material and did you use the same volume of glue from the same tube/box as the original glue?

No need to be a pretentious about it.
I guess many here still haven't grown up since I used to come here.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
lbc_sublime
UG's black reaper

say what you guys want there is a difference here's an example

"I can fill ya wit real millionaire shit (I can fill ya)
Escargot, my car go, one sixty, swiftly
Wreck it buy a new one
Your crew run run run, your crew run run"

NOTORIOUS B.I.G. - Hypnotize
lbc_sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:46 AM   #20
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Definitely different.

Although they are different necks. The dude is arguing that it's the fretboard itself that makes no difference. Those necks could be different in mass etc.

But saying that, we consistently hear the same type of tone from maple and consistently hear the same type of tone from rosewood.

I think it's more or less conclusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: