Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-20-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
antisun

Should i replace my bullet strat?

I'm trying to decide if i should or not. TBH, i have no complaints about this guitar. I love the tone, the feel and the look. I also have a hard time distinguishing the sound of the bullet strat from a standard strat. Perhaps a small difference but nothing that makes me go "wow, this standard is so much better". I also like the sound of single coils better than humbuckers and any other guitars that appeal to me aesthetically are humbucking.

Maybe i'm missing something?
antisun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #2
DancesWithSheep
Muchacho Moderno

If you like it - keep it!

THEN - go buy yourself a new axe...
DancesWithSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

What amp are you using?
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
antisun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
What amp are you using?

line 6 spider IV.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #5
krehzeekid
Me like guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by antisun
line 6 spider IV.

that would be part of why you don't hear a huge difference. modelling amps tend to cover the natural sound of guitars, making similar guitars sound more similar than they otherwise would. the spiders are amoung the worst offenders in that regard.

anyways, if you don't see a limitation with your gear, you probably don't need new stuff. however, you will eventually start finding the limitations of your guitar (they are seriously limited guitars). at that point, you can get a new guitar.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
jetwash69

First step:

- Get that Bullet a pro setup and some locking tuners.

Second step:

- Get a good amp.

Third step:

- Get better pickups, potentiometers, capacitors, 5-way switch and output jack

Fourth step:

- Start buying more guitars, like ones with 24 frets, ones with Floyd Rose tremolos, ones with humbuckers, ones made from different woods, etc.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #7
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

^ this
Old 12-21-2012, 01:21 AM   #8
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
First step:

Second step:

- Get a good amp.

Third step:

Fourth step:

- Start buying more guitars, like ones with 24 frets, ones with Floyd Rose tremolos, ones with humbuckers, ones made from different woods, etc.

All that
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Ibanez RGA121NTF
Ibanez RG1570
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485 "Kimmy"
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #9
Alucard817

I would replace the amp before the guitar. Spiders are notorious for being crap.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:30 AM   #10
antisun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
I would replace the amp before the guitar. Spiders are notorious for being crap.

really? because i replaced my crate flexwave with the spider. i like the extreme distortion i can get from it. for more laid back stuff, the flex wave works well, for things like black metal, i had a hard time finding something that would give me the kind of sound i was looking for, which i found in the spider. i'll admit, if it's a warm, bluesy, tube like sound you're looking for, line 6 isn't gonna get that. but it does what i want it to do, and that's giving me some nasty sounding distortion.

Last edited by antisun : 12-21-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:15 AM   #11
SwoobGuitar

I would never buy an amp for the distortion. The amp has to be great on the clean channel, I can use my stompboxes for distortion.
I recently bought a new amp (for my Bullet Strat), just for the clean tone, and it works great. Also I've put some Seymour Duncan for Strat's in there (JB Jr., Lil '59 will be there next week, SSL3)
SwoobGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:44 AM   #12
Mentholman

Quote:
First step:

Second step:

- Get a good amp.

Third step:

Fourth step:

i agree with this. i did the same thing too, and i actually find myself playing my tricked out squier more than my other higher end guitars. i guess you tend to love your first guitar the most lol
Mentholman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentholman
i agree with this. i did the same thing too, and i actually find myself playing my tricked out squier more than my other higher end guitars. i guess you tend to love your first guitar the most lol

I my case, my 1st guitar was an MIA Strat, my second was a Squier Affinity, and I have several MIJ guitars...yet my modded Squier is still my favorite and my main stage/recording guitar.

Can't say the same thing for amps, though. I hate my Marshall MG. I'd rather play thru MFX pedals going into PA speakers. My tube Marshall halfstack is OK, but it's not worth the pain most of the time. MFX thru PA gets the job done. The halfstack sounds 5% better, but does look infinitely cooler
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 AM   #14
Alucard817

Quote:
really? because i replaced my crate flexwave with the spider. i like the extreme distortion i can get from it. for more laid back stuff, the flex wave works well, for things like black metal, i had a hard time finding something that would give me the kind of sound i was looking for, which i found in the spider. i'll admit, if it's a warm, bluesy, tube like sound you're looking for, line 6 isn't gonna get that. but it does what i want it to do, and that's giving me some nasty sounding distortion.

Spiders are known for being low quality, also the amp is known for masking a guitars natural tone.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
Mentholman

Quote:

I my case, my 1st guitar was an MIA Strat, my second was a Squier Affinity, and I have several MIJ guitars...yet my modded Squier is still my favorite and my main stage/recording guitar.

Can't say the same thing for amps, though. I hate my Marshall MG. I'd rather play thru MFX pedals going into PA speakers. My tube Marshall halfstack is OK, but it's not worth the pain most of the time. MFX thru PA gets the job done. The halfstack sounds 5% better, but does look infinitely cooler

yeah i guess we lucked out on our squiers. what i enjoy about these things is despite them being cheap, some models tend to have great necks which makes them a great platform for modding. point is, if you enjoy the feel of your guitar even if its a lower end model, dont hesitate to upgrade it, as long as the cost is within reason.
Mentholman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoobGuitar
The amp has to be great on the clean channel, I can use my stompboxes for distortion.

Tell that to a 6505 and it'll kick you in the tits for being so stupid...
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:39 PM   #17
antisun

About the spider....point is, i am fully aware of it's limitations, and i think it sounds perfectly fine on the clean channel, and it sounds awesome on the high gain channels, it's anywhere in between it's lacking. it's a budget practice amp that does what i want it to do without having to spend money that i currently don't have (being a college student with limited funds). I certainly don't plan on using it indefinitely, but for now, there's nothing it can't do that i want it to do. Also, i did have my guitar setup professionally back when i got it. I have since changed the strings to a heavier gauge so i don't know if it now needs re-adjusting. (10's-11's)
Old 12-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #18
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
Spiders are known for being low quality, also the amp is known for masking a guitars natural tone.

Yeah I have one and it makes all my guitars sound the same...single coil doesn't sound much different from humbuckers on it.

New amp is on my shopping list for the new year.

For the record, my 2-year-old likes the Spider...
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #19
Alucard817

Quote:
About the spider....point is, i am fully aware of it's limitations, and i think it sounds perfectly fine on the clean channel, and it sounds awesome on the high gain channels, it's anywhere in between it's lacking. it's a budget practice amp that does what i want it to do without having to spend money that i currently don't have (being a college student with limited funds). I certainly don't plan on using it indefinitely, but for now, there's nothing it can't do that i want it to do. Also, i did have my guitar setup professionally back when i got it. I have since changed the strings to a heavier gauge so i don't know if it now needs re-adjusting. (10's-11's)

The amp should be good all round. My Vypyr gets good everything. Cleans, low gain, mid gain, high gain and sounds more natural (To my ears) If that makes any sense.

Okay nough bout the amp. Yes you will need to tweak your guitar's set up since you have the heavier gauge. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle though.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #20
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Some people may love the Line 6, which is fair enough, it's a subjective issue. There is no right and wrong. But you'll struggle to emulate any real tone of your idols due to the quality of the amp. So eventually, when you start studying musicians and you want to emulate tone as you record your own version of a song, or when you start to admire them and try and write like them, you'll realise that the Spider just won't cut it.

However, you might not want to emulate anyone and might not admire anyone and are just your own musician. But that's a rarity

But if you can't tell the difference between a Squier Bullet and MIA I have to ask.

Are you playing these two guitars through your Spider?

Have you ever played through a good tube amp?

How long have you been playing?

I'm just wondering if it's an experience thing and I don't mean that to come across as offensive or patronising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-21-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: