Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-21-2012, 10:31 PM   #21
azrael4h
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I have the same view of the Mustang I have as many here have of the Spider. It kinda masks the guitars' differences. I'm thinking of doing some trading myself, to get a nice tube amp instead. Waiting until after Christmas though, not going near town until the crowds have dispersed.

I hated the spider I tried out at the Guitar Center one day, when I was checking out my LP. I walked away, and found a better amp. Which was everything else pretty much in there.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #22
jetwash69
Registered User
 
jetwash69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Antisun;

I suspected you might be kind of new around here by the way you're talking about your Spider.

Saying anything favorable about Spiders, Marshall MGs, or Berhinger amps on this website is kind of like pouring a bucket of blood in the water near a school of sharks.

It seems like half the time people make positive comments about these amps here, it turns out they're just trolling.

Most of the ill will toward those amps comes from a lot of us feeling suckered that we had them as first amps because so many music/guitar stores push Spiders and MGs on noobs. The sad thing is you can get a halfway decent tube amp or a much superior modeling amp for around the same price many pay for their Spiders/MGs. That's why they stores push those amps; so they can later sell you an upgrade after you get frustrated--otherwise you might only buy 1 amp.

BTW, one of the main reasons I prefer the Squier over my Fender is now the Squier has two humbuckers (a Duncan Jazz in the neck and a Duncan Design Detonator in the bridge). That, plus the Fender MIA Deluxe S-1 Stealth Switch electronics I added give it a huge range of tones. And I way prefer humbuckers over single coils. But all my guitars sound the same on my MG--like a puddle of muddy bass or like a shrill icepick stabbing your eardrums--depending on the note you're playing.

Enjoy your Spider as long as you can, or as long as you have to. No point getting different pickups or electronics, though, until you get another amp. It would probably benefit from a DiMarzio/Switchcraft output jack right now--if the stock jack doesn't hold the plug firmly--most Squier jacks are weak. It's less than $5 for a good jack.

If you don't already have strap locks, then that would be a good use for Christmas cash. Loxx are probably the best, although Schaller are the industry standard. Loxx will be easier to install, require 0 maintenance and are more durable.

Seriously, there's no point in defending Spider amps around here. It's a lot like trying to build a mosque in rural Texas.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #23
ghobby
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by antisun
I'm trying to decide if i should or not. TBH, i have no complaints about this guitar. I love the tone, the feel and the look. I also have a hard time distinguishing the sound of the bullet strat from a standard strat. Perhaps a small difference but nothing that makes me go "wow, this standard is so much better". I also like the sound of single coils better than humbuckers and any other guitars that appeal to me aesthetically are humbucking.

Maybe i'm missing something?


You seem happy with what you have, and thats all that matters. Why do you think you have to change?
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #24
antisun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
Antisun;

I suspected you might be kind of new around here by the way you're talking about your Spider.

Saying anything favorable about Spiders, Marshall MGs, or Berhinger amps on this website is kind of like pouring a bucket of blood in the water near a school of sharks.

It seems like half the time people make positive comments about these amps here, it turns out they're just trolling.

Most of the ill will toward those amps comes from a lot of us feeling suckered that we had them as first amps because so many music/guitar stores push Spiders and MGs on noobs. The sad thing is you can get a halfway decent tube amp or a much superior modeling amp for around the same price many pay for their Spiders/MGs. That's why they stores push those amps; so they can later sell you an upgrade after you get frustrated--otherwise you might only buy 1 amp.

BTW, one of the main reasons I prefer the Squier over my Fender is now the Squier has two humbuckers (a Duncan Jazz in the neck and a Duncan Design Detonator in the bridge). That, plus the Fender MIA Deluxe S-1 Stealth Switch electronics I added give it a huge range of tones. And I way prefer humbuckers over single coils. But all my guitars sound the same on my MG--like a puddle of muddy bass or like a shrill icepick stabbing your eardrums--depending on the note you're playing.

Enjoy your Spider as long as you can, or as long as you have to. No point getting different pickups or electronics, though, until you get another amp. It would probably benefit from a DiMarzio/Switchcraft output jack right now--if the stock jack doesn't hold the plug firmly--most Squier jacks are weak. It's less than $5 for a good jack.

If you don't already have strap locks, then that would be a good use for Christmas cash. Loxx are probably the best, although Schaller are the industry standard. Loxx will be easier to install, require 0 maintenance and are more durable.

Seriously, there's no point in defending Spider amps around here. It's a lot like trying to build a mosque in rural Texas.


Actually the jack has never given me problems, other than having to frequently tighten the nut on the actual jack (it rattles loose after hard playing for a few days). It also has strap locks but i have no strap. Another issue i've been having as of lately is when i play certain notes very loudly, something inside the body resonates almost a honking sound a long with it. I have no idea what it could be, and looking inside it doesn't give me too much of an idea, so if anyone else has one, i'd appreciate hearing it.

Last edited by antisun : 12-22-2012 at 01:32 AM.
antisun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:43 AM   #25
Maximus_2005
Registered User
 
Maximus_2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69
First step:

- Get that Bullet a pro setup and some locking tuners.

Second step:

- Get a good amp.

Third step:

- Get better pickups, potentiometers, capacitors, 5-way switch and output jack

Fourth step:

- Start buying more guitars, like ones with 24 frets, ones with Floyd Rose tremolos, ones with humbuckers, ones made from different woods, etc.


Locking tuners might be overkill, a bit of greylead on the nut will do wonders. Least try that first ts

I'd recommend looking on eBay for used pickups TS when u feel the need to buy pickups. You can get Seymour Duncan and dimarzios cheap off there all day long. Not much happens to them so there always in good condition.
__________________
Quote:
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

Quote:
"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Maximus_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:45 AM   #26
Alucard817
Registered User
 
Alucard817's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
I know with my old affinity the trem arm was loose and when I would play heavy it would vibrate causing a weird sound. Come to think of it my Kramer used to do that as well.

Make sure the nut that the trem screws into is nice and firm, may have come loose.


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.

Last edited by Alucard817 : 12-22-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:13 AM   #27
Maximus_2005
Registered User
 
Maximus_2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
I know with my old affinity the trem arm was loose and when I would play heavy it would vibrate causing a weird sound. Come to think of it my Kramer used to do that as well.

Make sure the nut that the trem screws into is nice and firm, may have come loose.




Nice colour ^
__________________
Quote:
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

Quote:
"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Maximus_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:35 AM   #28
jetwash69
Registered User
 
jetwash69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_2005
Locking tuners might be overkill, a bit of greylead on the nut will do wonders. Least try that first ts

I'd recommend looking on eBay for used pickups TS when u feel the need to buy pickups. You can get Seymour Duncan and dimarzios cheap off there all day long. Not much happens to them so there always in good condition.


I dind't do the tuners until 2 of my Squier tuners sheared. There are various advantages of locking tuners over stock Squier tuners. First, there's no slippage from windings--but you can acheive that with standard tuners, too. Second it's so much faster when you re-string. Third, if you get Fender/Schallers, they're so much smoother due to tigther tolerances and more accurate due to better ratios. Fourth, they're staggered so you get better string angles. That was the mod that made my Squier equal in playability to my MIA Fender (and better than my MIJ Mustang).

What the locking tuners (as opposed to a locking nut) don't do is eliminate the need for lubrication in the nut. You might benefit from bigger slots for those .11s; another pro setup should accomadate that. Graphite from pencils doesn't do much other than make your guitar dirty. You need real graphite lube like Graphit-all or Nut Sauce. And you need that in the nut and in the string contact points in the saddles in the bridge--even if you have locking tuners.

Max, did you think I meant a locking nut like on a Floyd Rose? That would be not just overkill for many reasons, but utlimately a non-starter because then you'd need a bridge with fine tuners and Bullets are too skinny to fit a Floyd Rose without the trem block sticking out the back.

But I do second the notion of eBay for pups. That's where I got my Jazz for the Squier and the Invader which replaced the Detonator in my Schecter so it could find its way into the Squier. One of these days I gotta get a proper Invader for the Squier, too; the tone is a little nicer on the Schecter and I don't think its mahogany makes that big a difference.

TS, I'm not talking about regular strap buttons. It's rare to find strap locks on a Bullet. It could only have come with them if you bought it used--but most people who pass on a Bullet wouldn't even know about them, and if they did, they'd probably keep them since they can cost 10 - 40% of the entire price of a Bullet. MIA Standards don't even come with them; you're talking about a ~$1,700 Fender MIA Deluxe or better to get that from the factory by Fender. Those come with the Fender/Schaller locks. But you won't need them until you start playing standing up. I definitely recommend standing when you play in front of other people. But straps fall off conventional strap buttons all the time; I've seen it happen to famous national touring acts live on stage.

As for your jack, the nut will stay tight on a higher quality jack. For now you can use a drop of threadlock in the threads. If you don't have the right tool, you can cause a lot of problems tightening the nut when the whole jack spins around.

If your "pro setup" was done by the shop where you bought the guitar, then it probably doesn't count. Very few Guitar Centers know what they're doing, and I could tell you stories that would make your blood boil about the silly crap I've seen local mom-n-pop music specialty stores do to f*ck up guitars. Take it to a luthier or a real guitar tech who's not affiliated with a store. My Squier needed a shim for the neck.

Enjoy your gear and your holiday break. Take care.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #29
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Just to add, if you continue to tighten the jack the way I think you are you'll end up ripping all the connections apart. A lot of us have done it. You need to open it up and untangle it and tighten it from the inside.

I would suggest going to a local guitar store and playing through a decent tube amp. A Marshall DSL, a Fender Super Sonic or Hot Rod series. One of the moderately priced valve amps. You will hear the difference.

Fair enough, you're happy with your gear at the moment. Rattles, honks and no strap aside. But we don't give this advice for the hell of it and we detect that you may not have experienced the wonders of a good fired up valve amp.

Plus you get a good reason to go and look at guitars and stuff all day!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.



Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-22-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #30
antisun
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
No, i'm not tightening the jack, just the nut around it that loosens.
And, i am fully aware no SS is going to sound like a valve amp, but the ability to afford one is years down the road for me. Thanks a lot to al of those who have given me good advice, and thanks to the guy who posted the picture, i'll have to check that out.

Last edited by antisun : 12-22-2012 at 03:30 PM.
antisun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:39 AM   #31
mikeYekim
Curses & Cranberries!!
 
mikeYekim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Massachusetts
If you like what you have then you shouldn't change it, especially because a few people over the internet want to jump on the spider hate bandwagon! I've never owned one, I had a Roland Cube when I started out, which doesn't seem to get as much hate around here. However if it sounds good to you, keep it! If your ear for tone changes and you want tube in the future, get a tube amp if you want one

I say f*** it. Who cares? Especially if you aren't gigging. Tube amps sound great when theyre really cranked, and if you need to be volume-considerate, a solid state can sound good at low volumes... NOT saying a tube amp can't sound good at low volumes, it's just something to throw out there. A lot of people around here act like they have a lot of experience with a lot of gear, when half of them are probably under 20 years old and only hate the spider because that's what everyone else hates and its cool to hate the spider. People see the price tags on things these days. Like "you're driving a Hyundai, what a shitty car you need a BMW!! You should like BMWs because its what we all like here! be one of us... be one of us..."

__________________
"Any statement beginning with the words 'In truth' is almost always a lie."

The Legion
mikeYekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:48 AM   #32
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by antisun
No, i'm not tightening the jack, just the nut around it that loosens.
And, i am fully aware no SS is going to sound like a valve amp, but the ability to afford one is years down the road for me. Thanks a lot to al of those who have given me good advice, and thanks to the guy who posted the picture, i'll have to check that out.


Do you unscrew the jack and untangle it? Because if you are just tightening the nut it will tangle and tangle and eventually the connection will break.

Just unscrew it later and have a look. Based on what you're saying it's probably twisted and near breaking point.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.


Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #33
jeffo46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
If you're happy with your Spider amp, then more power to you. Personally, I made the mistake of buying one from a friend and after playing through it for 15 minutes, I knew I made a huge mistake. I'm 53 years old and have been playing for over 40 years so I think I know what I'm talking about it. I ended up buying a new Fender Frontman 25R and installing a Eminence Rajun Cajun speaker in it, which improved the sound of the amp by having it not breaking up at higher volumes, but also adding more volume to it as well. It now sounds like a 50 watt amp instead of a 25 watt one and can definately be used for gigging and takes to pedals very well. As far as your using a Bullet is concerned, you can go to Guitar Center's website and click on their used gear section. On there, you can find Squier Standard Strats or Affinity ones which are a major upgrade from what you are using , going for at least $65.00 and up. Or you could make the switch to ESP where there are models going for $99.00 used, to start with. I play ESP and they're great !
jeffo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #34
peskypesky
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
I'm a big fan of Squier guitars, and Bullets in particular. I don't see any reason why should replace it, but you can improve it by modding.

Put a Graph Tech Tusq XL nut in it. Maybe try some alnico pickups. Add a heavy duty jack and heavy duty pickup selecter.

I also own a Squier Affinity Strat, a MIM Strat, a MIJ Squier Strat and a Classic Vibe 50s Squier Strat. With a few inexpensive mods, the Bullets hold their own with any of them.

Last edited by peskypesky : 12-23-2012 at 02:42 PM.
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #35
davehail1092
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I have a '84 Bullet strat, and i sold my Paul cause it didnt sound as good to me. stick with what u got. just tweak it here and there.
davehail1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:35 AM   #36
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
 
Kytokinesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Following my self-preservation drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
The amp should be good all round. My Vypyr gets good everything. Cleans, low gain, mid gain, high gain and sounds more natural (To my ears) If that makes any sense.

Okay nough bout the amp. Yes you will need to tweak your guitar's set up since you have the heavier gauge. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle though.


A friend of mine and I jammed the other day, he was using a peavey vypyr and an alexi 600, I was using a spider IV and an RG321 and my tone owned his

I think there's a bit of prejudice in all the Spider-hating that goes on around here.
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #37
Alucard817
Registered User
 
Alucard817's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytokinesis
A friend of mine and I jammed the other day, he was using a peavey vypyr and an alexi 600, I was using a spider IV and an RG321 and my tone owned his

I think there's a bit of prejudice in all the Spider-hating that goes on around here.

Well considering how the spider masks much of your guitars natural signal I don't see how.
Also there could be other variables.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #38
J_W
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Maybe people just like the sound of the Spider and don't give a shit about natural tone of the friggin guitar. Tone is so subjective. If you were to listen to people on internet forums everybody would sound the same, and they would all be playing 5150 variants and Vypers.

Play what you like, nobody can tell you what sounds good to YOU.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #39
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
 
Kytokinesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Following my self-preservation drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetwash69

Most of the ill will toward those amps comes from a lot of us feeling suckered that we had them as first amps because so many music/guitar stores push Spiders and MGs on noobs. The sad thing is you can get a halfway decent tube amp or a much superior modeling amp for around the same price many pay for their Spiders/MGs. That's why they stores push those amps; so they can later sell you an upgrade after you get frustrated--otherwise you might only buy 1 amp.

Seriously, there's no point in defending Spider amps around here. It's a lot like trying to build a mosque in rural Texas.


I have a feeling this is going to be me someday

I saved up for my Spider IV 75w with graduation money. A close friend of mine has the exact same amp, and after hearing him play on it, it sounded awesome compared to the amp I was using and other amps in the same price range. I was able to try it before I bought it. Plus it gets sparkling reviews on Musician's Friend etc.

Honestly I get really pissed off when I see you guys slamming these amps because it makes me second-guess my purchase. I'm not recording or gigging at this point, so it's a good practice amp anyway, imo.
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #40
J_W
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
If you like it, don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:28 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.