Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #41
Axe Murderer

Keep the guitar.

Take it to GC or some other local shop and play though some higher end tube amps.

Be amazed.
Axe Murderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:41 PM   #42
antisun

the spider really only changes the tone of the guitar on the high gain settings. in "crunch" or clean, it sounds like a strat should sound. for someone who wants a have the best of both worlds, and has a limited budget, having an amp that CAN change the sound of my strat that is useful for something like heavy metal or very hard rock is the entire reason i own one. i don't see the reason for all the bashing. it is what it is, and its not a bad thing IF thats what you're looking for.
antisun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:48 PM   #43
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

Quote:
Originally Posted by antisun
the spider really only changes the tone of the guitar on the high gain settings. in "crunch" or clean, it sounds like a strat should sound. for someone who wants a have the best of both worlds, and has a limited budget, having an amp that CAN change the sound of my strat that is useful for something like heavy metal or very hard rock is the entire reason i own one. i don't see the reason for all the bashing. it is what it is, and its not a bad thing IF thats what you're looking for.

Yeah, sort of, but the problem is that there are (at least four) other comparable amps in the similar price range that do everything the Spider can but better. While I wouldn't recommend a Spider to someone looking for an amp, for reasons mentioned above, it's not like it's impossible to use. Just saying "Ugh, get rid of your Spider" is not helpful or constructive criticism, especially in a thread dedicated to whether or not you should get rid of your Squier Bullet (in my opinion, you should, but it's up to you to decide). Maybe if you where asking how to improve your sound or another thread like that, then it'd be appropriate, but not here. I mean, it's not like you have a Marshall MG, Fender Frontman or something like that. There is much, much worse gear out there and just bashing you for not having the premiere equipment is not constructive discussion at all.

Guitar

Whenever I hear someone say that they play exclusively a single genre, I always assume that they're just a terrible guitarist.

Last edited by kangaxxter : 01-03-2013 at 09:50 PM.
kangaxxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #44
antisun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangaxxter
Yeah, sort of, but the problem is that there are (at least four) other comparable amps in the similar price range that do everything the Spider can but better. While I wouldn't recommend a Spider to someone looking for an amp, for reasons mentioned above, it's not like it's impossible to use. Just saying "Ugh, get rid of your Spider" is not helpful or constructive criticism, especially in a thread dedicated to whether or not you should get rid of your Squier Bullet (in my opinion, you should, but it's up to you to decide). Maybe if you where asking how to improve your sound or another thread like that, then it'd be appropriate, but not here. I mean, it's not like you have a Marshall MG, Fender Frontman or something like that. There is much, much worse gear out there and just bashing you for not having the premiere equipment is not constructive discussion at all.

What amps are like it but better? I know the peavy vyper is one but what else?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #45
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

Quote:
What amps are like it but better? I know the peavy vyper is one but what else?

The Spider is a modeling amplifier, and it's not the best one out there, but it's also not the worst (*cough* Roland Cube *cough*). I misspoke when I said 4; I meant 3, which are the aforementioned Vyper, the Fender Mustang, and the Vox VT series. In my opinion, the Fender Mustang is probably the best one, if only because it straight up sounds the best, however, the smaller Mustangs are lacking in high-gain presets, which makes them not so wanted for guitarist who are looking for a lot of modern metal sounds. The Peavey does high gain better.

Guitar

Whenever I hear someone say that they play exclusively a single genre, I always assume that they're just a terrible guitarist.
kangaxxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #46
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytokinesis
I have a feeling this is going to be me someday

I saved up for my Spider IV 75w with graduation money. A close friend of mine has the exact same amp, and after hearing him play on it, it sounded awesome compared to the amp I was using and other amps in the same price range. I was able to try it before I bought it. Plus it gets sparkling reviews on Musician's Friend etc.

Honestly I get really pissed off when I see you guys slamming these amps because it makes me second-guess my purchase. I'm not recording or gigging at this point, so it's a good practice amp anyway, imo.

Some day I thought Spider sounded amazing - it had all those cool built in effects and amp models (I was thinking about buying it as my first amp but fortunately my parents bought me Micro Cube). But now when I hear the sound of Spider... I hate it. And I'm happy that I didn't buy a Spider. It just sounds so fake. At least it takes a lot of tweaking not to sound too harsh and boomy. We have a Spider at our school (it's an old 100 watt version). When I play through it, it just doesn't feel right. It doesn't feel like you are playing through an amp.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 01-04-2013 at 01:26 PM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #47
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I'm still concerned the guy's gonna ruin his jack because he's twisting the nut to tighten it.

The fact I've now had to explain this 3 times is probably more concerning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #48
Axe Murderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
I'm still concerned the guy's gonna ruin his jack because he's twisting the nut to tighten it.

Axe Murderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #49
peskypesky

Quote:

peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #50
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

I have gotten off-topic here as well which I guess I shouldn't have. antisun, if you like the look, sound, and feel of your guitar, then you don't need to replace it. However, as someone said on here before, taking a cheap guitar and modding it is a false economy. You have to take into consideration the cost of all the parts, plus the cost of having them installed if you don't do it yourself. The combined total could equal the amount of a shiny new guitar.

I can't help but think though, that you would find a better guitar has a better feel.
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:55 AM   #51
antisun

Quote:

i took it apart and re did the solder. yes, i did near ruin it, but it's all fixed up now I've also done a lot of setup to the guitar, in fact i don't think i even need to take it to be professionally set up, because i pretty much figured it out on my own. truss rod is adjusted, i raised the pickups (which drastically made a difference in how it sounded). The only other thing i still need to tweak a bit more is the tremolo tension. i think i actually need to add a couple more springs to it for it to stay in tune after divebombs, but i've gotten it tweaked to the correct height. i also need to adjust the action a little bit.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #52
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
i took it apart and re did the solder. yes, i did near ruin it, but it's all fixed up now I've also done a lot of setup to the guitar, in fact i don't think i even need to take it to be professionally set up, because i pretty much figured it out on my own. truss rod is adjusted, i raised the pickups (which drastically made a difference in how it sounded). The only other thing i still need to tweak a bit more is the tremolo tension. i think i actually need to add a couple more springs to it for it to stay in tune after divebombs, but i've gotten it tweaked to the correct height. i also need to adjust the action a little bit.

Hooray! I only pestered you because I cared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #53
BradIon1995

Quote:

Yes! I set up my Bullet Strat like this, and it's no MIA, but it feels good, sounds good, and that's all that matters.

In all honesty, you can't go wrong with the squier. Buy her some tuners if you feel the need, but personally I'd find a nice valve amp instead of a new guitar.

I own a Yamaha RGX, which is up there with mid-range Ibanez Rgs, I've played Teles, LPs, Strats, Ibanez RG and SA models, and ESPs, and I just recently bought a Bullet and couldn't be happier. I'd happily pay double the price if it had better tuners. Maybe I scored one of the better ones? What do you guys think?

Rate This Thread: