Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
greenwgreg
Rhythm Guitarist

Learning the notes on the fretboard

I have been playing for over 6 years now and still do not know the notes on the fretboard. Sure, I know the notes on the E strings, and some on the A string. I have tried a few times to learn them but find it difficult. I played rhythm in a gigging band for a little over a year, but never play any lead. Recently, I have started to practice lead work and am trying to get more comfortable playing single note stuff. It is very hard for me. The basic, Am pentatonic scale we all learn early on I don't even have the notes memorized to.

How did you learn the notes on the fretboard, if you do know them? Any tips on this?
GFS Chorus
DS-1
greenwgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Everyone has a different way of doing it. Some people go one string at a time, some do a few frets at a time. How I started was by memorizing the E and A strings and relating everything back to them. So if you play any note on either of those strings, if you go up 2 strings and 2 frets, you're playing the same note an octave higher. Stuff like that. Then I spent a lot of time practicing it with a free program called Fretboard Warrior. After a while it became pretty easy and got to a point where I don't even have to think about it.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #3
Zoomyrs1

Its kind of a bitch.

Basically there are three possitions that cover 12 frets and repeat.

I did it (and forgot later lol) by learning the three position of a few common scales, C maj, E min, Amaj/min D maj/min, the pentatonics and the "blues" scales by the three 6 strig positions, and then going back and learning them in tri octave and then in two and three string combinations.

...which frankly ****ing sucked. But you learn where your friggin hands are going.

Issue of course being that you have to practice it or you forget it all. Right now I may be able to up C or D maj and the blues and pentatonics, but its going to be ragged, as I basically put the guitar down for about 10 years.
Zoomyrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
GuitarFreak1387

An easy way to learn them is to take a piece of paper. Make a grid 6x24. Start writing out all the notes one string at a time. Learn how the same note starts on other strings. Once you get the hang of it try it one note at a time and find every spot along the mock fretboard.

This is how I practiced memorizing the fretboard years ago and still do it every once in a while. It also is good for scales, chords,and arpeggios.
GuitarFreak1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
dngrsdave

I have a Snark tuner and leave it turned on while I'm practicing. It will tell me what note I'm playing and this helped me learn the notes on the fretboard.

Also like the above Guy said about writing them out on a piece of paper helps.

Heavy Metal Thunder
dngrsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
deltadaz

print some fretboard diagrams and write it out.
start by wring out all the C notes then find and play them all over on each string.

then move on to G.. repetition is the key here good luck
Old 12-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
greenwgreg
Rhythm Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
Then I spent a lot of time practicing it with a free program called Fretboard Warrior.

Good suggestion, I downloaded this program. I like how you can hear the notes as well as see them. I think this will help a lot.
GFS Chorus
DS-1
greenwgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
MisisipiMarshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarFreak1387
An easy way to learn them is to take a piece of paper. Make a grid 6x24. Start writing out all the notes one string at a time. Learn how the same note starts on other strings. Once you get the hang of it try it one note at a time and find every spot along the mock fretboard.

This is how I practiced memorizing the fretboard years ago and still do it every once in a while. It also is good for scales, chords,and arpeggios.

Thats how i did it too...Start off just with a regular fretboard and then later write it out backwards and upsidedown until you understand it from all angles
MisisipiMarshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Fretboard Phil

After struggling with this for years, I've finally had success by learning to play transcriptions of jazz piano solos. They have enough accidentals that I can't just play them by ear.
Fretboard Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
PEAVEYUSA1

Go to www.jguitar then to scale calculator, pick your scale you want, then pick wheater you want ton, note or non represented on the fret board diagram
PEAVEYUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
MEGADETHGOD

The biggest thing that helped me was to say the notes as I played them.
MEGADETHGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
sam2289

Try this:

sam2289 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: