Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Poison [GP5/Midi-C4C] Melodic Hardcore/Metalcore

Another one for my solo project (see link in sig for the facebook page). This is a more melodic one, that, since my last song was pretty panned critically I've tried to tie the song to it's self more. Make it more of a cohesive whole as apposed to a mess.

Please let me know what you think; please be constructive in your criticisms.

Will C4C of course
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 MelodicIntro.gp5 (56.3 KB, 278 views)
File Type: mid MelodicIntro.mid (47.7 KB, 29 views)

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 12-22-2012 at 09:54 PM.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Wild_One

IMO, it's a pretty good song, and pretty well-structured...

personally, i like the song. Well done!

8/10

C4C?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1577897

Instrumental
Metalcore
Death Metal
80's
Globalized Hoax
Technical Difficulties (Cover)
Wild_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
guitar_jew

Well structured, but it doesn't pack too much of a punch if you're going for hardcore. Nice ambience, though. The only criticism I really have is that the harmonic content is fairly average- as overdone as metalcore is, to keep it fresh, I feel like it needs to have elements of prog in it to keep it sounding unique.

Aside from that, you did a good job putting it all together.

C4C, anything off the album in my sig? Thanks.
guitar_jew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Its a bit dull.

Okay, really dull.

It just follows every cliche about modern hardcore, there's very little that could labled a good riff, the intro perhaps, but its just too slow for hardcore. The ending has the right chords, but they're not repeated enough times, and aren't quite in the right order for a decent emotional impact.

The trem solo doesn't quite work, needs an added harmonic layer otherwise its just sort of 'there' and there's not much in terms of musical narrative, might be cuz the song is fairly short and doesn't have much in it to flesh out.

Sorreh, I was means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #5
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Cheers for all the comments guys; will get on c4c's later on today
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpiExplorer
Its a bit dull.

Okay, really dull.

It just follows every cliche about modern hardcore, there's very little that could labled a good riff, the intro perhaps, but its just too slow for hardcore. The ending has the right chords, but they're not repeated enough times, and aren't quite in the right order for a decent emotional impact.

The trem solo doesn't quite work, needs an added harmonic layer otherwise its just sort of 'there' and there's not much in terms of musical narrative, might be cuz the song is fairly short and doesn't have much in it to flesh out.

And that's fair enough, but I don't get the cliche thing. Maybe I'm not listening to the right hardcore but I don't see it? Some examples or some ways to make it less dull would really be appreciated, else I'm just kinda flapping around like a fish outa water.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 12-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Well, there's not really 'the right hardcore', its all grey areas. See, its mostly cuz what's currently in circulation is profitable, presentable and easily marketed hardcore, and its twisted the perception of what original hardcore was.

Maybe its a good thing, cuz three chords and a 1 minute song length isn't a proper way to write music, but its left this standard of laziness, and that rubs off on people who want to take inspiration from it. I'm not saying you're lazy (not at all) but this is what you've been told the standard is, so you at least try to meet that standard subconciously. To outside listeners its sort of 'bleeeeeeeh, heard it before' and so on.

To make it interesting, you have to think of the strengths of hardcore, what its differentiating aspects are, then amplify, twist and interchange them:

Aggression, rough production, a measure of dissonance, a disregard for peoples feelings (rofl), speed, grit, rage, angered frustration. What's being presented as hardcore these days is essentially the glam metal of the 80's, and ironically the hardcore back then and the glam metal of today has more balls.

And thats kind of whats missing here. Needs gonads. Big meaty ones. There's nothing here that suggests emotional presentation. Being progressive doesn't have to mean adding in technical ability. Its to do with what hasn't been done before, but remains within the scope of reason. So, composing a chorus of Maj7 chords is within that scope, but adding a balalaika and a symphonic orchestra is just being silly (some random context for you there).

For hardcore, being progressive would be taking the aggression and twisting it melodically, technical ability can help but in a lot of cases just conforms more to the current standard. Thats why a lot of original hardcore takes influence from death metal and black metal, as well as vice versa, because there's still the aggression and anger but the sound is still unique, interesting and doesn't stick to some bullshit standard. There can still be good melody, but it has to match the speed, the urgency and the balls. Examples:

(being a bit liberal with this one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

That's really helpful, thanks man.

Think I'm going to get myself some Botch. That sounds like it's got elements of the kind stuff I want to achieve. Obviously I'm going to mix my other inspirations in it too... I don't just want to be a Botch rip off xD

Quote:

Quote:

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 12-23-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:55 AM   #8
guitar_jew

Albums I'd recommend listening to (coming from someone who doesn't get anything out of the 80s hardcore style and more from the chaotic, punk influenced side of metalcore)

Converge- Jane Doe, Axe to Fall, All We Love We Leave Behind
The Chariot- The Fiancee, Long Live, One Wing, and if you like those, give Wars and Rumors of Wars a spin, although I think it's a pretty weak disc overall. Their debut is pretty meh, imho
Code Orange Kids- Love is Love//Return to Dust
Refused- The Shape of Punk to Come
Underoath- Define the Great Line, Lost in the Sound of Separation and Disambiguation
Dillinger Escape Plan- Ire Works, Calculating Infinity

Yes, Underoath stretches how far we're taking the definition of 'hardcore,' but they were the closest thing I ever had to a 'gateway drug' for this style.

EDIT: Thumbs up to Epi for having awesome taste, btw

Last edited by guitar_jew : 12-24-2012 at 01:59 AM.
guitar_jew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #9
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

I do or have listened to a lot of these bands already. My taste in hardcore is, whilst not extensive, at least considered reasonable by many.

The thing is, is the style I'm going for is a more Misery Signals metalcore sound. So whilst I do appreciate all the recommendations, I've heard most of them already xD Converge just isn't the kind of sound I'm going for, if you see what I mean xD

If I was going to take more inspiration from older bands, it'd be Shai Hulud, 7 Angels 7 Plagues and Botch.

Quote:

Quote:

Rate This Thread: