Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-23-2012, 05:06 AM   #1
jesse music

University: Taking units in other disciplines vs. Adding more to your field of study

Hi all, I'm studying a bachelor of music composition, but lately I've been considering adding a minor in something like philosophy or english literature.

Would it be wiser to enlarge my field of Uni study while not doing as many composition units as I could or to focus solely on completing as many units relevant to composition as possible (as I would like to work somewhere in this field, teaching, arranging, composing, etc) such as orchestration, music business, music technology or whatever.

I'd be interested just to hear your opinions, thanks
jesse music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
MH400
‭‭

Do a real degree. Such as Law.

/I'm a Law student.
MH400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #3
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Instead of going all into composing, take some time to make sure you meet the right people, make good impressions and all that networking jazz. You could in something that can compliment to your composition major or in something that just interests you.

EDIT: This is a weird bit of info, but if you want to a music oriented minor, organ studies is a good one, although that program isn't seen too often. Being an organ player is a pretty decent gig.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort

Last edited by rockingamer2 : 12-23-2012 at 05:13 AM.
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
hriday_hazarika
is a Space Lion. ^___^

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse music
a minor in something like philosophy or english literature.

Don't ever study English literature; it's bullshit.

Philosophy probably is too.

Do a minor in Psychology. That way you can write healing music for ladies with daddy issues.

YOU CAN'T SPELL "MESHUGGAH" WITHOUT "HUG"
^___^

Buy or download my music for free!
Aberrant Corollary | Robots At A Rave

Bandcamp Collecshun | Last.FM | My Anime List | Steam

UG Post-Rock | UG Hip Hop
Moar UGPR

THERE IS NO HAPPY HERE
hriday_hazarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:13 AM   #5
jesse music

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockingamer2
Instead of going all into composing, take some time to make sure you meet the right people, make good impressions and all that networking jazz. You could in something that can compliment to your composition major or in something that just interests you.

I already have quite a few connections at the music faculty and I'm getting to know some studying film because film scoring is an area I'd very much like to get into.

What sort of thing would compliment a composition major? I'd assume education is one, but that's pretty much a no-brainier for 90% of University degrees.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Quote:
I already have quite a few connections at the music faculty and I'm getting to know some studying film because film scoring is an area I'd very much like to get into.

What sort of thing would compliment a composition major? I'd assume education is one, but that's pretty much a no-brainier for 90% of University degrees.

If you want to know more about the film stuff, talk to Xiaoxi. You can find him here and in the Musician Talk forum (just head to the chat thread).

I don't know what would compliment a composition major to be honest. I know zip about university composition programs.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #7
hriday_hazarika
is a Space Lion. ^___^

Quote:
What sort of thing would compliment a composition major?

A performance major, perhaps?

^___^

Moar UGPR

THERE IS NO HAPPY HERE
Old 12-23-2012, 05:21 AM   #8
jesse music

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriday_hazarika
A performance major, perhaps?

Thanks a good point. To be honest, I don't get overly excited by playing instruments, but it sure does help having skills on piano and guitar, knowing a bit about breathing/embouchure/fingering of brass and woodwinds.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #9
MH400
‭‭

Quote:
fingering

MH400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:39 AM   #10
TSmitty6
In the traphouse

Do philosophy.

It will improve your life and act as a catalyst for clear thoughts.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #11
hriday_hazarika
is a Space Lion. ^___^

Quote:
Thanks a good point. To be honest, I don't get overly excited by playing instruments, but it sure does help having skills on piano and guitar, knowing a bit about breathing/embouchure/fingering of brass and woodwinds.

Yeah, I imagine that at least knowing how to play the piano would help a lot. I mean, there's only so much notation you can go through before you get bored, right?

From what I've seen, the piano seems to be the ideal instrument for the purposes of composition.

^___^

Moar UGPR

THERE IS NO HAPPY HERE
Old 12-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #12
HaydenHohns
Maths/Music Enthusiast

It depends which end of Philosophy and your opinion on those ends. There's the dreamers who just ramble for days without end. Then there's the scientifically logical side of it, which actually has its roots in Discrete Mathematics. All science has a logical hypothesis for which things are tested upon. Maybe take a look at some summer/winter semester courses (depends what side of the world you're on I guess) and see if you can fill in some gaps there. Also maybe try a dual degree. You'll be there for a bit longer but you'll be far more versatile in the workforce. Once you've done that then you should be able to come to the conclusion yourself. Hope that helps.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #13
TSmitty6
In the traphouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenHohns
It depends which end of Philosophy and your opinion on those ends. There's the dreamers who just ramble for days without end. Then there's the scientifically logical side of it, which actually has its roots in Discrete Mathematics. All science has a logical hypothesis for which things are tested upon. Maybe take a look at some summer/winter semester courses (depends what side of the world you're on I guess) and see if you can fill in some gaps there. Also maybe try a dual degree. You'll be there for a bit longer but you'll be far more versatile in the workforce. Once you've done that then you should be able to come to the conclusion yourself. Hope that helps.

This is true. I did a Pre-law option, which just means you can take religion, metaphysics, etc. if you want to, but you also do case-studies and such with current world issues. Plus shit looks a lot better when your resume says pre-law or ethics, as opposed to just philosophy.

Philosophy will enhance any other major you do. It is at the basis of all of them. It will help you understand the concepts behind what your other majors are doing, instead of just memorizing them as most people do. I mean, how many business or communications majors do you know who can't name a supreme court justice? If you can get B's in philosophy, you can get A+'s in every other major, guaranteed. There's a reason philosophy majors score highest on standardized tests.

I did some cool philosophy classes on architecture, ancient, Eastern religions, science, etc. However, I did a lot of ethics too: law, business, bio-medical, normative, and feminist, societal, and political.

It was something I actually looked forward to studying and most teachers were chill as ****.

Just my 2 cents. Minor in phil. Do it.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #14
Cal UK
Viktor Vaughn

Have you thought about studying a language? That was a regret of mine after finishing university.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:45 AM   #15
jesse music

Quote:
Originally Posted by hriday_hazarika
Yeah, I imagine that at least knowing how to play the piano would help a lot. I mean, there's only so much notation you can go through before you get bored, right?

From what I've seen, the piano seems to be the ideal instrument for the purposes of composition.

I'm studying piano outside of Uni and self-learn guitar. I know shit all (apart from textbook learning) about brass or woodwinds.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:26 AM   #16
Neo Evil11
Worse than rapists

I came from a multidisciplinary field, and although it is great to do something different every day, no one seems to see the benefit lol. So I decided to specialize massively in the end. Although one day I would like to go back to earth sciences.

If I were you I would just take same music business classes.

ಠ_ಠ
Neo Evil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #17
kaptink
whoa-oh-oh

do what you gaddamn want to do.
kaptink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:40 AM   #18
McTodd
This is a wug

Doing a unit in something outside your major is a great way to ruin your GPA. If you're really interested in something in particular, I say just audit it.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:53 AM   #19
Dan_5893
Interdit

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTodd
Doing a unit in something outside your major is a great way to ruin your GPA.

It really isn't. You just did shit in yours obviously.

I'm actually a Brummie.
Dan_5893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #20
ErikLensherr
Banned

Expand your boundaries. You're only in college once. I'm a political science major but a couple of my favorite classes have been in history and cultural anthropology.
ErikLensherr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: