Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
controlledchaos

Gibson Les Paul help

Hey guys,

So I recently decided to purchase a Les Paul Traditional, being an SG guy for most of my guitar playing career I'm finding the neck thickness difficult to get used to, I love the guitar and the tone it gives off is awesome, and the feel etc. but I seem to lose some speed on a Les Paul compared to an SG, not much but some, is this normal and will I get used to the neck size?

Thanks,

Adam
controlledchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

You'll get used to it. I play SG, LP, PRS, Tele and LPJr stlye guitars and all have diff neck profiles besides diff scale lenght.

Just use it and it will get better
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
e-taubs

Just play it a lot. I have tons of guitars from 1950s Gibson, Gretsch, etc... to modern PRS Artist models to Rickenbackers. All are different but I like all of them for different reasons.

Only necks I don't like are super skinny/flat Wizard/American Standard Fender necks.
e-taubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Every single Gibson—that's every single individual unit, not just every type—has a different neck. That is the benefit/drawback to having more hands-on production. So you can pick up one SG Standard which will have a really thin neck, then another which will have a really thick neck. Same for Les Pauls, Explorers, whatever. It's irrelevant what the body shape is and what type of neck the spec sheets say the guitar is meant to have. On Custom Shop guitars the difference in necks between two guitars that are meant to be the same can be huge, but even on regular standard production models, there can still be a considerable difference.

This is the main reason why you should never buy a Gibson blind.

You may get used to the thicker neck. You may not. If you do get used to it within the return period (usually 14 days), great. If you don't, exchange it for another one. If you bought it online, just keep your fingers crossed that the next one that comes in has a slimmer neck. If you bought it in a shop, great, this time make sure you check out each guitar more thoroughly.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
e-taubs

I buy guitars online all the time. Like I said, I have a lot of different guitars and unless it's a shredder neck I can make it work. The whole "I need to try before I buy" thing is weird to me. We're talking mostly about machines made by CNC. They're not that different providing you know how to set them up.
e-taubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #6
gypsyblues7373

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-taubs
I buy guitars online all the time. Like I said, I have a lot of different guitars and unless it's a shredder neck I can make it work. The whole "I need to try before I buy" thing is weird to me. We're talking mostly about machines made by CNC. They're not that different providing you know how to set them up.

All guitars have totally different vibes though, even the same models. I've played one guitar and loved it, and picked up another of the same brand, model, make, etc., and didn't like it as much. I've bought online before, but I'd definitely prefer to lay my hands on a guitar first. If after a few days of steadily playing the LP you decide you just can't deal with the neck thickness, look for an LP with an asymmetrical neck, or if you want even slimmer, go with a slim-taper neck.
gypsyblues7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

Thats odd, because my SG has a way chunkier neck than either of my LP's but then mine are just cheap arsed knock off Epi's made in china...
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Squire 20th Anniversary Strat
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
DSL100H coming soon
dazza027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #8
gregs1020
Hi mom!

not sure how you'd be slower on a different guitar, you have the same hands.

it may take a little getting used to but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
good job, i'm just about sick of having to tear my guitars apart to put them back together with the right glue
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: