Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-24-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
peskypesky

Dude KILLLING it on a Squier Strat

I just came across this video and had to share. What a player!

peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
lamb of dog
Satan's noisy neighbour

Welcome! Now do yourself a favor and run away. Run as far away from gear forums as is humaly possible! If you follow this advice, you'll be able to tell your grandchildren about the guy who saved you from yourself.

Last edited by lamb of dog : 12-24-2012 at 12:24 PM.
lamb of dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
steven seagull
not really a seagull

please stop posting videos , this isn't the right forum for this kind of discussion and one of the EG mods WILL lock this thread - whether or not they want to warn people is up to them but best not tempt fate eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
lamb of dog
Satan's noisy neighbour

oops...
Welcome! Now do yourself a favor and run away. Run as far away from gear forums as is humaly possible! If you follow this advice, you'll be able to tell your grandchildren about the guy who saved you from yourself.

lamb of dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
peskypesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
please stop posting videos , this isn't the right forum for this kind of discussion and one of the EG mods WILL lock this thread - whether or not they want to warn people is up to them but best not tempt fate eh?

oops, sorry. didn't realize we couldn't post videos of guitar-playing on a guitar forum. My bad. Noob mistake.

Last edited by peskypesky : 12-24-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
kai29

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypesky
oops, sorry. didn't realize we couldn't post videos of guitar-playing on a guitar forum. My bad. Noob mistake.

sarcasm doesn't help your case either haha

anyways. i actually like watching vids of people doing great on cheap instruments. I think it provides hope to those who can't afford things that are better. Although you also have to look at the equipment they use to make it sound good too- sometimes many thousands of dollars worth. So... it's just a give and take thing. But Jack Thammarat does way better, but he is endorsed by yamaha now I believe. Gustavo Guerra (I don't know if that's spelled right) does way better with a cheapo guitar in one of his vids. Both won guitar idol as well.
kai29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #7
jetwash69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai29
sarcasm doesn't help your case either haha

anyways. i actually like watching vids of people doing great on cheap instruments. I think it provides hope to those who can't afford things that are better. Although you also have to look at the equipment they use to make it sound good too- sometimes many thousands of dollars worth. So... it's just a give and take thing. But Jack Thammarat does way better, but he is endorsed by yamaha now I believe. Gustavo Guerra (I don't know if that's spelled right) does way better with a cheapo guitar in one of his vids. Both won guitar idol as well.

Just proves that the guitar isn't as important to your tone as some people think.

But a $5,000 Suhr guitar is still going to sound like crap thru a Spider or an MG, even if EJ is playing it. The music will be great, but not the tone. It would sound OK on a Vyper or a Mustang II+, though. Those higher end Squiers will sound good on those amps, too. And so would a low-end Squier with the right aftermarket pickups.
jetwash69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #8
|Long|
String Theory

People put WAY to much attributes to the guitar. Money is not the factor, overseas factories are putting out better and better quality instruments. It doesn't have to say Fender on it to be good.

If the instrument is decently made and set up right, you'll be set. Electronics is usually the short hand of the instrument, to cut costs, but we all know that and it's why we mod.

And, we all know again, the amp is going to me much more critical.

... not sure where this thread SHOULD be, but it is going to generate a discussion
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #9
peskypesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Long|
People put WAY to much attributes to the guitar. Money is not the factor, overseas factories are putting out better and better quality instruments. It doesn't have to say Fender on it to be good.

If the instrument is decently made and set up right, you'll be set. Electronics is usually the short hand of the instrument, to cut costs, but we all know that and it's why we mod.

And, we all know again, the amp is going to me much more critical.

I could not agree more.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I love Jack, he's so awesome.

The guy in the original video is good, but he's not amazing. It seems quite generic. From that video he's got nothing on Jack.

I think we all know that someone who is good can play and sound decent on any guitar. A guitar is a tool, we have the skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-24-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
peskypesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
I think we all know that someone who is good can play and sound decent on any guitar. A guitar is a tool, we have the skill.

You'd be surprised how many people on forums like GearPage and Harmony Central DON'T know that.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil

Explain that to some of my gear snob relatives, who think if it's not the most expensive Gibson or Fender then it's a kiddies toy.

As far as the first part goes, many would be surprised that an Affinity can sound really good with some basic mods.

Yes I know it's CV Squier in the video.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull

I don't disagree with you at all, but what would be the proper forum? So we can actually give constructive criticism to users who post stuff like this here.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
I don't disagree with you at all, but what would be the proper forum? So we can actually give constructive criticism to users who post stuff like this here.

I believe this is the proper forum.

However, I think the OP needed some clarification. If his intent was to show that a cheap guitar can sound just as good as an expensive guitar, then this is the right place(though I'm sure there are better videos out there for that anyway).
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #15
peskypesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
However, I think the OP needed some clarification. If his intent was to show that a cheap guitar can sound just as good as an expensive guitar, then this is the right place(though I'm sure there are better videos out there for that anyway).

Cheap guitar? The CV costs more than twice as much as my newest purchase, an SX Liquid ($139).
Old 12-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #16
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypesky
Cheap guitar? The CV costs more than twice as much as my newest purchase, an SX Liquid ($139).

I think he's saying "cheap" on the larger spectrum of guitars. As in, a CV is on the less expensive line of decent beginner guitars. There are less expensive guitars out there, but there is a far greater range of expensive mainstream guitars.

Not trying to put words in his mouth, that's just how I interpreted his comment.
SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:44 AM   #17
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
I think he's saying "cheap" on the larger spectrum of guitars. As in, a CV is on the less expensive line of decent beginner guitars. There are less expensive guitars out there, but there is a far greater range of expensive mainstream guitars.

Not trying to put words in his mouth, that's just how I interpreted his comment.

That pretty much sums it up.

Plus the CV is good for what it is, but I wouldn't say it compares to an American Strat.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:52 AM   #18
|Long|
String Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
That pretty much sums it up.

Plus the CV is good for what it is, but I wouldn't say it compares to an American Strat.

I think that's just the point though.

Would it compare? Strip down the electronics and you have two guitars with the same wood (of different qualities, but how much that matters?) and of different finishing touches.

Say you put Fender brand electronics in a CV Squire Strat. You get a professional lutheir to set up the guitar ... how far off do you think it would be from a stock Fender strat?

... my point here is that after these 'fixes' the difference now is just the differences of the wood. How big of a change would it be?
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:05 AM   #19
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:

Would it compare? Strip down the electronics and you have two guitars with the same wood (of different qualities, but how much that matters?) and of different finishing touches.

Say you put Fender brand electronics in a CV Squire Strat. You get a professional lutheir to set up the guitar ... how far off do you think it would be from a stock Fender strat?

... my point here is that after these 'fixes' the difference now is just the differences of the wood. How big of a change would it be?

Wood is wood. You can play anything and say it's playable if the frets are level and it stays in tune. It's the more subtle details that matter in the end. Just being playable and sounding good isn't my only goal when choosing a guitar.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:16 AM   #20
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:

You would be a long way from a high-end guitar.

I have played gear that is both as cheap as anything you will ever find and some extremely high end stuff and the difference is much more than just the wood and electronics. There's a difference in the build quality and feel that you honestly cannot get out of cheaper gear.

That's not to say that more cheaper gear isn't worth the money but if I had 1000 I wouldn't go out and buy a Squier tele and a few nights out.

Edit: I also don't think the guy in the video is that good. At all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 12-25-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: