Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 AM   #23
evolucian

stingy bastard... pffft
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:36 AM   #24
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Notice the guy in the top picture. His stool is up high, which brings the head of his guitar up to almost eye level. This is where you want it. He is also sitting up straight, with the guitar pulled in close to him.

The guy in the second picture is leaning forward over top of his guitar. This is not as good.

Here is a picture of John Williams:

Note the "best of both worlds."

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #25
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanchris
Notice the guy in the top picture. His stool is up high, which brings the head of his guitar up to almost eye level. This is where you want it. He is also sitting up straight, with the guitar pulled in close to him.

The guy in the second picture is leaning forward over top of his guitar. This is not as good.

Here is a picture of John Williams:

Note the "best of both worlds."

CT

The guy in the 2nd picture is Francisco Tarrega, btw.

Anyway, I think I found a decent position yesterday. Will try to find a way to get a good angle and video record it. Would you mind if I pm you with a link to the vid so you can give me some pointers?
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:40 AM   #26
Hail
kill both bass players

AMC: do you think there's a point where personal comfort supercedes a "classical" approach to posture and positioning, or is it best just to iron out habits as much as possible to maximize efficiency?

i know in other realms of classical performance it's a pretty stern topic, but guitar (even classical) has always seemed amongst the more liberal members of the orchestra.

obviously you're maximizing economy of motion without sacrificing tone, but is there a single "okay, this is the best goal for you to have, try to learn to make this feel natural" position or is there some margin of "whatever gets the job done"?

Last edited by Hail : 12-29-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #27
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryogenicHusk
The guy in the 2nd picture is Francisco Tarrega, btw.

Anyway, I think I found a decent position yesterday. Will try to find a way to get a good angle and video record it. Would you mind if I pm you with a link to the vid so you can give me some pointers?

Ah! I almost feel foolish for not recognizing him.

By all means, if you want to PM me, do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
AMC: do you think there's a point where personal comfort supercedes a "classical" approach to posture and positioning, or is it best just to iron out habits as much as possible to maximize efficiency?

i know in other realms of classical performance it's a pretty stern topic, but guitar (even classical) has always seemed amongst the more liberal members of the orchestra.

obviously you're maximizing economy of motion without sacrificing tone, but is there a single "okay, this is the best goal for you to have, try to learn to make this feel natural" position or is there some margin of "whatever gets the job done"?

In general, yes. There are a few "have to's", but there is a certain amount of freedom for personal preference.

For instance, if your guitar is on your right leg, or the guitar is on your left leg but parallel to the floor, or if you play with finger picks, or if you plant your pinky, you would be hard-pressed to establish any credibility whatsoever.

As far as the height - eye level is a guideline, but it is whatever works for you, more or less in that area. As far as the angle of the wrist, same thing. My personal hand position is more like the top picture (only without the sunken wrist) - or maybe somewhere between there and the John Williams picture I posted. My first instructor's hand position was more like the bottom picture, except his hand was further back and was not covering the sound hole as a rule.

As a point of comparison, look how much more Segovia pivots his wrist downwards.

Imagine the implication of suggesting that either John Williams or Segovia is "doing it wrong" or has "inferior technique."

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:

Last edited by axemanchris : 12-29-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #28
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Interesting perspective here:

Here is my first instructor (Peter McAllister - the thinner guy) with a hand position very much like the second picture above with the wrist pivoted downward. Incidentally, Peter's hand is in front of the sound hole here. Ah, well. At least he's not leaning over the guitar.

My second instructor is here. His hand position is more like the first picture, though note that his wrist is not sunken.

Also notice that Jeff's guitar is at more of an angle with the headstock more at eye level, which probably impacts the angle of the right hand in relation to the strings.

CT

Quote:

Rate This Thread: