Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #61
peskypesky

I'm a big Squier fan, but as much as I love my Bullets, my Affinitys and my Classic Vibe, I do recognize that MIM and MIA Fenders are a step up in certain ways. I just got back from Guitar Center, where I fell in love with a MIM HSS Strat. It was hard not to walk out of the store with it.
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:55 PM   #62
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
i'm expecting a guitar that's at least as good quality as a MIM fender, because that's what everyone tells me to expect.

are my expectations really too high?

Hype has a way of warping expectations. Only you can really say for certain what you're thinking. I am just throwing out possibilities.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #63
peskypesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
Hype has a way of warping expectations.

True. But isn't hype sometimes valid?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #64
Blompcube
Registered User Error

Quote:
Hype has a way of warping expectations. Only you can really say for certain what you're thinking. I am just throwing out possibilities.

I think my expectations have been warped by hype and i'm completely out of my mind to expect a CV to be as good as my MIM fender baja tele

but i'm interested to see what other people think - which is why i'm asking
Musicman HD75
Road Kill Cabs "Stag" 2x12 with Eminence screamin eagles.
Blompcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #65
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypesky
There apparently seems to be some circular reasoning around here. Your opinion will not be taken seriously by certain people unless you have expensive gear. No matter how good a guitar player you are, no matter how many years or decades you've been playing, no matter how good your guitars play and sound and look.

You can be a crappy guitar player, but if you have an expensive guitar, then your opinion carries weight.

Sad, really.

You're definitely reading too much into this. Arby said something to Rooster with prejudice, Rooster responded with a different prejudice. I hope you don't think they represent anyone but themselves.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #66
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
I think my expectations have been warped by hype and i'm completely out of my mind to expect a CV to be as good as my MIM fender baja tele

but i'm interested to see what other people think - which is why i'm asking

How dare you think a guitar company whos been around over 60 years have better quality than their sister company.
Okay in all seriousness. You have to admit not many manufacturers will use pups with the quality of the Alnico V's in their 300-350 dollar guitars like Squier does.
Quote:
True. But isn't hype sometimes valid?

In my 37 years of being alive I have found the answer to that is rarely if ever yes. Does that mean I think Squiers are shit? Absolutely not. I own two, an Affinity P bass and a VM Mustang. I think Squiers are a damn good bang for your buck especially since many in the CV/VM series' have some of the same specs as many MIM Fenders.

Looking at this purely factual Fenders DO have higher quality woods and finishes and in the case of the lower Squiers, They can't even come close to comparing to any Fender. On average Fender MIM's do have higher quality pups and hardware (minus the Alnico V's in some CV's).

The way I look at is this. A good Squier CV/VM will beat out a mediocre or so-so MIM Fender, but a good MIM Fender will beat out a good Squier.

The area that no one can measure is feel and tone. Different people feel different attributes, while at the same time those same people will hear different nuances in different guitars.

I think this is what a lot of people here are arguing in this thread. Rather than just admitting to themselves that everyone is going to have their own preferences and leave it at that.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:08 AM   #67
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
You're definitely reading too much into this. Arby said something to Rooster with prejudice, Rooster responded with a different prejudice. I hope you don't think they represent anyone but themselves.

+1
Old 12-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #68
peskypesky

Could we all just agree that Squiers are to Fenders what Toyotas are to Lexuses?

The fact that the Lexus is higher quality does not mean the Toyota is crap. All these products will get the job done.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #69
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Could we all just agree that Squiers are to Fenders what Toyotas are to Lexuses?

The fact that the Lexus is higher quality does not mean the Toyota is crap. All these products will get the job done.

Not the same though. Toyota and Lexus are basically the same people. Fender MIA and MIM are not the same people as Squier MIC.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #70
peskypesky

Ok, Squiers are to Fenders the way Toyotas are to Acuras.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #71
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Ok, Squiers are to Fenders the way Acura is to Honda.

Fixed.

Though I hold Acuras in a higher regard in relation to Honda than I do Squier to Fender. I don't think a analogy will do here. Let's just say that Squier is owned by Fender, but made to a lower standard by cheaper labor using cheaper parts in a different country. Although, that's up for debate when you factor in the MIM line.

Also, the Japanese line of Fenders slays any other Fender import. Hands down. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 AM   #72
peskypesky

Quote:
Also, the Japanese line of Fenders slays any other Fender import. Hands down. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

what about the Japanese Squiers?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:15 AM   #73
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Bang for your buck... That doesn't define quality in any way. If anything you are justifying low quality with low price. A MiM for £200, now that's bang for buck. I bought my Squier from my pal for £30, at that price I couldn't pass it up as I wanted a guitar to strip and rewire etc.

I wouldn't spend more on one, i'd rather save and sell stuff if I had to to get a MiJ or a MiM.

£80ish is what I would consider bang for your buck with a Squier.

I'm not talking about quality as such here as much as I'm talking about how much I think they are worth based on used market prices in relation to the new RRP.

Plus the term bang for your buck just seems a little bit counter active when arguing the quality of the instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #74
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
what about the Japanese Squiers?

Not sure, I've never come across one. I hear they are pretty good. I'm sure they are better than Chinese Squiers, but it's hard to believe the hype when people way stuff like they are better than MIA and todays MIJ Fenders. Idk, I think Japanese guitars from the 80s and early 90s get far too much credit. I wonder if in 2030 people will be talking about guitars from the early 2000s like they do other eras.

Last edited by W4RP1G : 12-27-2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #75
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Ippon could answer that question.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #76
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

They'll probably talk about certain signature models. The Billy Corgan one for example, which is awesome.

I think that one will be talked about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #77
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Bang for your buck... That doesn't define quality in any way. If anything you are justifying low quality with low price. A MiM for £200, now that's bang for buck. I bought my Squier from my pal for £30, at that price I couldn't pass it up as I wanted a guitar to strip and rewire etc.

I wouldn't spend more on one, i'd rather save and sell stuff if I had to to get a MiJ or a MiM.

£80ish is what I would consider bang for your buck with a Squier.

I'm not talking about quality as such here as much as I'm talking about how much I think they are worth based on used market prices in relation to the new RRP.

Plus the term bang for your buck just seems a little bit counter active when arguing the quality of the instrument

"Bang for your buck" is a totally subjective idea, so you're arguing semantics.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #78
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
"Bang for your buck" is a totally subjective idea, so you're arguing semantics.

A guitar can be objectively better. Therefore, a guitar can theoretically be objectively than other guitars in it's price range. But once we start getting into whether or not being objectively better is worth it to the buyer based on their preferences, things get complicated.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #79
Alucard817

Quote:
A guitar can be objectively better. Therefore, a guitar can theoretically be objectively than other guitars in it's price range. But once we start getting into whether or not being objectively better is worth it to the buyer based on their preferences, things get complicated.

What I was more referring to is "bang for your buck" may mean one thing to one person and another to someone else. That's why I said it's an subjective idea. I may think something is a deal, someone else may not, which is what I think you were getting at with your "preferences" statement.

So I think my statement still stands.

Last edited by Alucard817 : 12-27-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:33 PM   #80
JustRooster
Organ Donor

That's a side point to the fact that I still very much think that MIM Fenders as a whole are better than CV Squiers as a whole.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: