User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #81
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
What I was more referring to is "bang for your buck" may mean one thing to one person and another to someone else. That's why I said it's an subjective idea. I may think something is a deal, someone else may not, which is what I think you were getting at with your "preferences" statement.

So I think my statement still stands.

"bang for your buck" means a good deal in a price range. I don't think there is really any debate about what it means.

The preferences I was talking about were guitar features, like neck profile, hardware, pickups, ect.. But if you take those variables out of the equation, then the guitar with objectively better components and craftsmanship is the better guitar.

So the expression "bang for your buck" isn't really subjective. A guitar can be the best bang for your buck.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #82
peskypesky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
That's a side point to the fact that I still very much think that MIM Fenders as a whole are better than CV Squiers as a whole.

Mexican Fenders have gotten damn good in recent years. The last few I've played seemed like MIA's.
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #83
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
"bang for your buck" means a good deal in a price range. I don't think there is really any debate about what it means.

I agree, but people have different ideas of what constitutes a good deal, even within a price range. Thats my whole point

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.

Last edited by Alucard817 : 12-27-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #84
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
I agree, but people have different ideas of what constitutes a good deal, even within a price range.

It doesn't matter though, if something is objectively better, then it is better. Opinions can be wrong. If a guitar is built identically to other guitars in a price range, but with better components and craftsmanship, then it is better than those other guitars.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #85
JustRooster
Organ Donor

This thread is now about posting pictures of cool stratocasters:

MEPHAROOSTER
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #86
peskypesky

Old 12-28-2012, 12:13 AM   #87
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #88
Maximus_2005

Quote:

This ones a little beat up, It must not be good bang for buck ...

Quote:
"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Maximus_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #89
Alucard817

Quote:
It doesn't matter though, if something is objectively better, then it is better. Opinions can be wrong. If a guitar is built identically to other guitars in a price range, but with better components and craftsmanship, then it is better than those other guitars.

It is only better to the person who sees it as being better, whether their opinion is wrong or not.

If someone sees a Squier Affinity as a better bang for their buck than a MIM Fender then the Squier is better TO THEM. It's their opinion. It's their preference. They're still stupid, but it's what they deem to be better.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #90
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Maybe it's just me, and I could be wrong.

But when I hear people say 'you get a lot of bang for your buck' It's always about cheap items, almost like a justification. I've never heard someone say that about something that is known to be of high quality, so I always assume that someone is trying to convince me that although it's cheap you get a lot for the low price.

But you know, sometimes it doesn't matter how cheap something is, if it's still shit. But that's not what I think about the Squiers as such, I just thought it wasn't the right term to use as a lot of the time people associate cheap with quality. I think they are great guitars to start with and have the CV which are ok for a budget guitar but I don't understand why you'd get one when you can get a MiM used for not too much more.

But that's just my interpretation of it and I wanted to explain my original comment on it, I feel like the phrase has a lot of negative connotations and didn't fit in with an argument to promote a brand.

But I could be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-28-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #91
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Maybe it's just me, and I could be wrong.

But when I hear people say 'you get a lot of bang for your buck' It's always about cheap items, almost like a justification. I've never heard someone say that about something that is known to be of high quality, so I always assume that someone is trying to convince me that although it's cheap you get a lot for the low price.

But you know, sometimes it doesn't matter how cheap something is, if it's still shit. But that's not what I think about the Squiers as such, I just thought it wasn't the right term to use as a lot of the time people associate cheap with quality. I think they are great guitars to start with and have the CV which are ok for a budget guitar but I don't understand why you'd get one when you can get a MiM used for not too much more.

But that's just my interpretation of it and I wanted to explain my original comment on it, I feel like the phrase has a lot of negative connotations and didn't fit in with an argument to promote a brand.

But I could be wrong

Okay. All of that makes perfect sense and I have heard people use the term when getting a killer deal on a nice Gibson, or even another sweet guitar, but you do hear it most often with inexpensive guitars.
I differentiate between cheap (Crappy quality) and inexpensive (decent or good quality with a low price tag).

I myself got the VM Mustang bass. I consider it a good deal (250 bucks) for a decent short scale that gives me a good Fender-ish tone. Could it be better? oh yeah. Would I rather have a Fender? **** YEAH! Right now though it's not feasable, so the Squier will do for now. I think that with what I got it's the best choice out there to get as close as I can to a Fender tone until I can get a real Fender (my opinion) so I use the term "the best bang for my buck".

Old 12-28-2012, 06:15 AM   #92
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Okay. All of that makes perfect sense .

Not sure if sarcastic or not

Quote:

Old 12-28-2012, 06:18 AM   #93
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Not sure if sarcastic or not

Nope. Being honest man. No reason to be sarcastic with you.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #94
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Hey, guys, get back on topic:

My dream Strat:

MEPHAROOSTER
Old 12-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #95
peskypesky

Quote:
Hey, guys, get back on topic:

My dream Strat:

Ok, now I know they have bad QC in China, but that is pretty inexcusable.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:43 AM   #96
JustRooster
Organ Donor

That's a custom shop, bud. They painted it paisley, then covered that with Olympic White, then relic'd the white to show the paisley. I think it looks pretty rad.

MEPHAROOSTER
Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #97
peskypesky

Quote:
That's a custom shop, bud. They painted it paisley, then covered that with Olympic White, then relic'd the white to show the paisley. I think it looks pretty rad.

Clearly, it came from a Chinese factory where they're forcing blind people to paint guitars.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #98
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskypesky
Clearly, it came from a Chinese factory where they're teaching blind people to paint guitars.

Alright, you got me

MEPHAROOSTER
Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #99
heyjoe73

Zaphod Beeble said
Quote:
I'm not talking about parts or materials or sound or anything like that. I'm talking about the way it feels in your hands; once you've got a decent amount of experience with a wide range of gear you can tell when something is well made by holding it and playing it for a while. It's not just about whether there's anything wrong with it but how right it is as well.

So very true. This needs to be posted as a sticky on every "is x better than Y" post.
Its all about going and trying guitars, building up the experience so you know when you have the right one. By all means do your research, but nothing can replace trying lots of guitars before you buy one-trying without bias- forget the name, the wood type, the pickups, the colours- try as many as you can, then make an informed decision.

I've played original 50's &60's Strats that sounded like utter garbage, and cv squiers that sounded fabulous- to me. Its all about peronal preference.
heyjoe73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #100
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjoe73
I've played original 50's &60's Strats that sounded like utter garbage

Blasphemy. Just blasphemy. Go play 50 Stairway intros back to back for penance.

Considering the 50's one alone must have been worth a good amount of money, like 20,000 you're lucky to have even touched it.

I think most people would be blown away by the price and antiquity of it and would feel that when they played it, biasing their opinion. Perhaps it hadn't been set up to the way you like it, although I read a lot of people say similar things on the internet about classic guitars which leads me to doubt the honesty of the examples given, which if are false, I'd have to assume they'd be given as an extreme example to cement a statement. But whatever, I have to give the benefit of the doubt.

There was a 60's Strat in my local store I played once a few years back when I was looking at Strats. It's fair to say it was awesome. It was so Strat like that if it was any other guitar you'd ask 'You sure this ain't a Strat???'

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-28-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Rate This Thread: