Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-25-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
JB95
I like taco

Thumbs up Metal From Norway (C4C)

The Norwegian metal band Shaot's new demo "Thousand Shards of Glass" Has just been released!

Do us a small favor and give our song a listen, and maybe a comment and a rating as well. If you want some feedback on your song we can return the favor.
If you like what you hear, spread the word about us and we'll be really grateful.

Here is the link to the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xm2PBNXeew

And by the way, Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all of you!

Last edited by JB95 : 12-26-2012 at 02:08 PM.
JB95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Metal Turtle

That was awsome man!!! I really enjoyed that. I like the guitar/vocal part starting at 1:29 and my favorite part is 3:02-3:20. You guys are great! Ill share it to all my budds

(youtube.com/watch?v=nZRbbpmCmBI) theres my track, can you guys tell me if the song structure is ok? And the mixing? It very short but working on making it into a full song. Im a Metallica fanatic lol

Last edited by Metal Turtle : 12-25-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Metal Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Usernames sucks

I'll write in norwegian. Kult å sjå dere her tilfeldigvis! Har hørt sangen før da dere postet den på facebook! Vil sei riffene var veldig catchy og enkle på ein bra måte. Growle vokalen var veldig bra gjort, og det hadde sikkert hørt enda kulere i mixen om dere hadde satt in ein overdrive vst og litt reverb for å piffe det enda mer opp! Alt i alt var det veldig kult, og minna veldi om oldschool in flames. Gjorde meg ferdig med ei ny sjølvlaga låt i dag, så det hadde vert kult om dere kunne gitt feedback om dere har lyst! http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1579532
God jul!
https://soundcloud.com/kjartan-thor...fe-in-purgatory
Usernames sucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
reeverside

first of all, the quality of rec is decent, but at some point distorted guitar does sound quite good. Not a fan of such vocals, so wont comment on it. Riffs are groovy. The chorus could be more powerful, layer in more clean vocals. Female vocals creates such a contrast, you can improve on it. Try in some more instruments maybe, strings?
reeverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #5
JB95
I like taco

Thanks for the feedback guys!
This is our first demo, so you can expect more to come soon. It will have a different sound than this one musically, and hopefully have improvements in overall sound thanks to your comments.

EDIT:
Read the rules now and found out that posts like these are considered bumping. Sorry for that, I will PM from now on instead.

Last edited by JB95 : 12-26-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #6
swashbuckle50

Love the cymbals at the beginning of the song. The vocals are a little weak/dry in my opinion but the mix is quite good, everything sits well together.
The song itself is alright, but doesn't have anything that stands out to me as "awesome". The lead tone was nice but the rhythm is a little on the flat side.
Overall you guys are doing a good job, keep it up.
swashbuckle50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
HaydenHohns
Maths/Music Enthusiast

@JB95: Sorry man but the first thing I think of when you mention Metal and Norway is Black Metal. You didn't give any details so don't shoot me. It was a pleasant surprise though.

I really like the clean tone in the introduction and the percussion sounds so authentic and crisp. Really awesome. You don't hear many natural harmonics in riff but they make such nice decorative qualities to riffs so props to you. I think I also heard an F#7#11 snuck in there. That's really cool. Vocals are pretty solid, I guess it's just preference for some here. I think the female vocals are somewhat drowned out at around 1:33 and any other section like it (the pre-chorus is fine, the chorus is where they are dorwned out). Maybe bring out those a bit more. At 2:57 I'm noticing the snare sounds awfully "box-y". Maybe try resampling those or something. I really love the chord/riff work from 3:22 onwards, that stuff is awesome. I hope you keep that element in your future works.

Overall you've done a really awesome job on this piece and I hope you keep those crazy chords in your music because that's what stuck with me along with the natural harmonics in the riffs. I think the lead work could be improved, those sections were really dull to me. Learn some new techniques on guitar if you have to or try modulating a few times through it (not just cycling through higher/lower keys though). Anything to stamp on some uniqueness. Good for you though. Really cool music.

C4C? The link's in my signature.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
thetoastinator
UG Addict

Mix is great, love the guitar tones, I would have turned up the vox and lead guitar a bit but besides that everything sounded great. Had a bit of an Amon Amarth vibe to it, which I really enjoyed. Do you guys have a facebook page or anything? I would love to hear more tunes when they come out!
Custom Strat Copy
Bugera 6260 Head
Peavey XXX Head
Krank Revolution Cab
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss NS-2

Like old school heavy metal? Check out Xstrophy!
thetoastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #9
Demian1695

Nice song, i like the riff, it has a lot of " feeling " or " onda " (usually here in chile we use this concepts to say that a song has a groovy sound).

I like also a lot the female voices , i'm not really a big fan of the gutural voices (i'm saying it right???). I'm pretty surprised about the sound of the guitar, wich guitar did you used?? gear?? mixing???

About Jarle!! yes!! i don't know him personally, but he played with Alejandro Silva and his band, who is my teacher.
Demian1695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
naybnbyuwn

LOVE the guttural vocals, and the female vocals go well with them aswell.
the composition is awesome too, i'm a big fan of these kinds of scandinavian melodic death metal songs.

in terms of the mixing, i find the guitars too noisy- you can often hear the distorted string noise while moving between notes, and there seems to be a constant graininess that makes it sound muddy. maybe add a low pass and high pass filter?
also, the hihat for the drums have a bit too much "power" in my opinion, maybe lower the treble on these a tiny bit?

over all, loved the song, especially the growled vocals!

Also in response to the bumping issue on my thread:

"2) Bumping of Threads

"Bumping" is posting in your own thread in order to send it back to the top of the forum. This is a BIG NO-NO. NEVER bump your thread unless someone has a) Asked you a question or b) you want to debate a comment or have something of merit to add."

I've read the forum rules and I only ever "bump" when someone asks me a question, which is fine haha. Thanks for your concern though

Last edited by naybnbyuwn : 12-26-2012 at 10:41 PM.
naybnbyuwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #11
JB95
I like taco

@naybnnyuwn

I should let you know that the guitar playing could have been way more tight cinsidering the fact that we only had a total of 3 days (2-3 hours each day) to record. That's not much for a young band like us haha. And by the way, it's our first demo if that's worth pointing out.
Also, silly me missing out that part of the rules haha.

@thetoastinator

We do in fact have a facebook page. Not adapted for international audience yet, but over time we'll try to write in English. I see you found the page, and thanks alot for supporting us! and there is definitely more coming!
For those others wondering; http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shaot...61816093?ref=hl (hope I got the link right)

@HaydenHohns

I'll try to keep the chordal work and harmonics in our style, but we experiment with different sounds so we can find out what to settle with. The clean vocals will stay for sure.

Last edited by JB95 : 12-26-2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
Waff
UG's Waffle

I really like the vocals, both clean and growled. The celtic feel is good too. The guitars aren't tight enough around the 3 minute mark, although it sems like some people have already mentioned it. Keep going guys.
Waff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #13
Adam Amigo

Hey man, I love your country, always wanted to visit it. Actually, I watched a film called Troll Hunter and some of the landscape actually reminded me a little bit of my country, New Zealand. But we don’t trolls, hahaha! (Or hobbits, for that matter).

I think the recording is very professional sounding. To me, it’s like listening to a proper album. The mix is great. The riffing is excellent. I love folk metal, and there seems to be a slight aspect of that in there, which is awesome. My only gripe is that the female vocals need a bit more edge to them, they seem a little bit lacking in passion, perhaps she could try singing up an octave? Might heighten the intensity a bit, because the rest of the song is full of intensity and emotion.

Would you like to check out my recording? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1579932

Last edited by Adam Amigo : 12-27-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Adam Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 AM   #14
DreamGate
Heshmuggah

First of all, thanks for taking the time to listen to my song. And yeah, I will work on what you've pointed out.

Very cool song. I dont know if it was my speakers (since no one else mentioned it), but the drums sounded low and rather damp. And the pre lead riff (that double octave slide thing, lol i dont know what its called) could've been a little tighter with the drums. All in all a great song imo. Oh and loved the intro. It reminded me of a song by Yggdrasil. And the vocals insanely sounded like late Chuck. Its like you brought him back from the grave lol

i may have posted a mellow rock instrumental, but I am a metal head by heart. Its just the principle of things xP
DreamGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
Freak44

Thanks for the crit, Im not a drummer but ill try and improve on my drumming patterns in the future.

Great song you have here man, love how you use the harmonics in this song.
My fav part is how it starts hehe. 3:04 is ****ing awesome!!!
Great tone, great vocals, love the mix overall.
I think everything is fine if you ask me.
Keep it up man you guys definitly slay! \m/
Freak44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #16
Skyvalve2012

I'll agree with DreamGate, vocals do sound like Chuck S, bless his departed soul. Really good folky song, BUT I have to say the bass needs a bit of a boost (especially in the kick), and its occasionaly a bit hard to hear the clean vocals.

Overall though, really good! I feel a proggy vibe occasionally (maybe due to the time signature, or maybe because your guitar arrangements are more technical than most!). Keep it up...And could you post the lyrics, please, would really like to read them!
Skyvalve2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #17
JB95
I like taco

Thanks alot for the feedback everyone!

@Adam Amigo

The vocals do indeed need a bit more edge and passion, but that last note in the pre-chorus was just out of reach. Maybe she could pull it off after a few more takes, but we didn't have so much time.

@Skyvalve

Thanks alot! We'll give Superior Drummer a go on our next song, and it sounds really promising!
And the female vocals will be more in focus in the parts where she sings.

I found the lyrics, so here you go:

Thousand Shards of Glass

Quote from our singer to the band, directly transelated:
"You will probably not understand what it's about, so it may sound lame, but I can tell you that there is lots of thoughts and opinions behind it." - Kristian (Vocals)

Verse:
God of the mountain
Redeem us from the sun
So we can live the life beneath the ground
Save us from chaos
Brought by the man Let him suffer his own mistakes

FAIL! To keep up with us
We leave you alone
Singing to your savior
Spare me Lord!

Bridge:
We see the shelves shiver
The earthquake slowly drowning you

Ref:
Take off your masks of perfect
Your eyes tells a different story
The mirror's now a thousand shards of glass
Your land is in flames!

Verse:
Take my hand to my own land
The world you were meant to live in
The dream of it is always the better
But face the facts
You're meant to fall

Bridge:
You see the world around you fall apart
You don't believe it
The reign of men is overthrown
By nature's revolution

Ref

Solo

Bridge:

Free yourself This anarchy of ours
Now, before you understand
Before the lighted eyes

Bridge:
You see the world around you fall apart
You don't believe it
The reign of men is overthrown
By nature's revolution

Ref:
Take off your masks of perfect
Your eyes tells a different story
The mirror's now a thousand shards of glass
There is no land left!

Outro:
Free yourself
This anarchy of ours
Now, before you understand
Before the lighted eyes
Old 12-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
boratian
UG Member

Really love the opening! The mixing is pretty good, everything seems to fit well and has good clarity. The vocals seem funny at first (black metal-ish screaming over what feels like a hard rock/metal song), but it ends up falling into place well. The singing is very fitting.

The transition around 3:24~ when the volume drops out...I feel like it'd feel more coherent if it was two guitars instead of one during the volume drop. The riffing after that is my favorite part of the whole song. Can pinpoint what it reminds me of but I like it.

Overall this is a really good song. I'd personally have the snare be more poppy, and what I said about the transition, but other than that, great work!
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #19
JB95
I like taco

@boratian

Thanks alot for the crit!
I don't doubt the vocals being quite suprising when they kick in. The singer has indeed black metal influences, so it can sound a bit odd at first.
The drums sound in general could have been much better because we used a not-so-good drumkit, which limited how good it would sound.

For the next song we'll use Superior Drummer because of that reason, and it sounds way better to be honest. Real drums would be sweet, but it's simply too hard to get a good sound from the kit at this moment.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:30 AM   #20
Jready

I liked the clean-ish opening, with some slight natural distortion, which lead to a pleasing melody. The intro really grabbed me and pulled me into the song. The vocals were pretty good, I liked the growls, had pretty good clarity at times, at others not so much. I might like to hear them a bit deeper, or higher in pitch, (Think Mikeal Stanne or Nillo Sevänen.) or maybe try raising their level a little bit, as I feel they get a little undershadowed by the other instruments. The female vocals added nice dynamic to the song, and it was overall a pretty good piece. I've liked you guys on Facebook and am looking forwards to what you have to release!
Jready is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: