Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-25-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
Paddynbob

System of a Down P90s

So I'm getting a mod done on my LP to get a third p90 added - a high gain pig 90. Ive heard rumours that SOAD used p90s for a period? Anyone know what sort of era/specific songs that I could listen to to get an example of some cool sounds? Cheers
Paddynbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
Charvel1995
Ronda Rousey Fanboy

I don't remember SOAD ever using P90's

I only remember him using Ibanez Iceman guitars, nothing with P90's though

Epiphone MKH Les Paul Custom 7 - Ronda
Ibanez RG8 "Scarlet" - AKA The Rambanez
Fender Strat "Danielle"/"Dani"
Line 6 POD HD Pro
Randall XL 4x12

Come join us... [/SIZE]

Purchase list: Jim Root Tele, Jim Root Jazzmaster, MTM20
Charvel1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
dlmvh5150

For the Mesmorize and Hypnotize albums he used almost exclusively a 60's Gibson SG with P90's...unsure of the year or if they were stock pickups, but he said in interviews that he basically went from guitar straight into the amp. Prior to those albums he used the Ibanez Iceman
dlmvh5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmvh5150
For the Mesmorize and Hypnotize albums he used almost exclusively a 60's Gibson SG with P90's...unsure of the year or if they were stock pickups, but he said in interviews that he basically went from guitar straight into the amp. Prior to those albums he used the Ibanez Iceman

So you're not sure what pickups exactly?
Any specific songs? I'm not much of a SOAD fan tbh, but they have a sexy ass tone
Old 12-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
Seanthesheep

saw them in august and it was jsut a regular humbucker SG

check it out here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1491448

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpalka23
but there's something about chocolate syrup cover feet that just makes me happy...
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #6
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanthesheep
saw them in august and it was jsut a regular humbucker SG

Live guitar could be different?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
Seanthesheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddynbob
Live guitar could be different?

all im saying is what I saw

check it out here: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1491448

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpalka23
but there's something about chocolate syrup cover feet that just makes me happy...
Seanthesheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #8
greeny23
Mechromancer

not too related, but Wade of Alexisonfire/Gallows uses a LP Jr with a P90 and gets really nice heavier tones so might wanna give that a look too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock05
would a pedalboard make my rc20xl loop station sound better? the playback on this thing sucks with batteries and the power supply.
greeny23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

As stated ubove, it is a Gisbon SG with either P90s or a humbucker. It sounds like a P90 through a Marshall. Live he definitely uses SG's with humbuckers.
Sir Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
LaidBack
Call me Mike

Last I heard, Darron from SOAD used an Iceman through some sort of a Marshall DSL. Never heard about the P90's though.
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
LaidBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
ProgFolk12

http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-pla...r-and-equipment

These usually have some vaguely interesting stuff on them. Every live video I've seen has been with 'buckers, but almost always pretty low output stuff (Burstbuckers or '57 classics). That lists a '64 SG with P90s which I believe he used more on Hypnotize and Mesmerize, as mentioned. On a lot of the early stuff Daron used all kinds of not-very-metal gear, including an SSS Strat. Recently, again iirc, he's generally used a Dual Rec.

Metal with P90s is definitely a thing, I remember the guitarist from Rolo Tomassi playing a P90 loaded SG through a Blackstar series 1, sounded fairly heavy.

One last thing, SOAD album guitar tone is boss (IMO) but there's a tonne of production and multiple tracks going on there, so don't get too hooked on trying to nail it.
ProgFolk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
Sir Stoney
Registered User of Herb

^^^ Exactly, there are several tracks recorded for his sound. If you were to listen onr guitar by itself it would most likely sound thinner than you would expect. I'd say go for the humbuckers he uses live or the P90s. With either choice if you were to play through a Marshall you'd get a tone super close, then you throw a boost pedal in there and it's over. xD
Sir Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Stoney
^^^ Exactly, there are several tracks recorded for his sound. If you were to listen onr guitar by itself it would most likely sound thinner than you would expect. I'd say go for the humbuckers he uses live or the P90s. With either choice if you were to play through a Marshall you'd get a tone super close, then you throw a boost pedal in there and it's over. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFolk12
http://www.uberproaudio.com/who-pla...r-and-equipment

These usually have some vaguely interesting stuff on them. Every live video I've seen has been with 'buckers, but almost always pretty low output stuff (Burstbuckers or '57 classics). That lists a '64 SG with P90s which I believe he used more on Hypnotize and Mesmerize, as mentioned. On a lot of the early stuff Daron used all kinds of not-very-metal gear, including an SSS Strat. Recently, again iirc, he's generally used a Dual Rec.

Metal with P90s is definitely a thing, I remember the guitarist from Rolo Tomassi playing a P90 loaded SG through a Blackstar series 1, sounded fairly heavy.

One last thing, SOAD album guitar tone is boss (IMO) but there's a tonne of production and multiple tracks going on there, so don't get too hooked on trying to nail it.

I use a epi with invaders, but i love p90s - i have my Gibson aver p90s, just wanting to beef it up

I think you can definitely hear the p90s in Cigaro (particularly the intro) and in BYOB
Old 12-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny23
not too related, but Wade of Alexisonfire/Gallows uses a LP Jr with a P90 and gets really nice heavier tones so might wanna give that a look too.

I did not realise! I shall look into it my good chap
Old 01-01-2013, 07:44 AM   #15
SOADriff

Daron never used P90's live or much on the records, he only used them in a fender jazzmaster for a few clean guitar parts on mezmerize/hypnotize.

Agree with the Wade Macneil comment, but his tone is much less aggressive than darons and requires less gain, if you're after darons tone a set of P90's will be far too thin. You would be much better off with another seymour duncan or dimarzio passive model.
SOADriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #16
SOADriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmvh5150

I'm fairly certain he did use a 60's SG, but not with P90's. Theres a few brief moments in a video with him recording the record and he uses a Jackson RR model aswell as an SG, without P90's installed.
SOADriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #17
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOADriff
Daron never used P90's live or much on the records, he only used them in a fender jazzmaster for a few clean guitar parts on mezmerize/hypnotize.

Agree with the Wade Macneil comment, but his tone is much less aggressive than darons and requires less gain, if you're after darons tone a set of P90's will be far too thin. You would be much better off with another seymour duncan or dimarzio passive model.

I couldn't find anything about the Wade guy using 90s :S
Old 01-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #18
dlmvh5150

http://www.guitarworld.com/daron_ma...age=0%25 2C5,5

Check out this interview with Daron in Guitar World. He talks about his sounds for Hypmotized/Mezmorize and the gear he uses including the Gibson SG with P90's.
dlmvh5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #19
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOADriff
he only used them in a fender jazzmaster
Jazzmaster pickups are not P-90s. Very different construction and sound. They only look vaguely similar.

For the OP's original question, all research points to them being standard, stock P-90s. Given the era of the guitar in question, probably quite low-output with a warm magnet. There's certainly no reason to get a 'high output' P-90, as P-90s give more hum than any other kind of single coil pickup and the hotter you wind them the less they sound like P-90s and the more hum they produce. Stick with a regular P-90, if that's the tone you want.

Do also bear in mind that a P-90 being played on its own does sound very, very different to something first recorded with humbuckers and then doubled up in the background by a P-90. No matter what P-90 you get, you may not be entirely happy with the sound. Hell, even putting a P-90 and humbucker together, you may not get the tone you're after. You've no way of knowing exactly how things were recorded or duplicating studio conditions and production.

For an example of how P-90s and humbuckers at the same time most commonly sound in person without any studio magic, look up some videos of My Chemical Romance playing live during their Black Parade period, because that is a perfect example of what one humbucker and one P-90 playing together usually ends up sounding like.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #20
Paddynbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
Jazzmaster pickups are not P-90s. Very different construction and sound. They only look vaguely similar.

For the OP's original question, all research points to them being standard, stock P-90s. Given the era of the guitar in question, probably quite low-output with a warm magnet. There's certainly no reason to get a 'high output' P-90, as P-90s give more hum than any other kind of single coil pickup and the hotter you wind them the less they sound like P-90s and the more hum they produce. Stick with a regular P-90, if that's the tone you want.

Do also bear in mind that a P-90 being played on its own does sound very, very different to something first recorded with humbuckers and then doubled up in the background by a P-90. No matter what P-90 you get, you may not be entirely happy with the sound. Hell, even putting a P-90 and humbucker together, you may not get the tone you're after. You've no way of knowing exactly how things were recorded or duplicating studio conditions and production.

For an example of how P-90s and humbuckers at the same time most commonly sound in person without any studio magic, look up some videos of My Chemical Romance playing live during their Black Parade period, because that is a perfect example of what one humbucker and one P-90 playing together usually ends up sounding like.

Hmmm this is very helpful, thank you I didn't put a lot about the guitar I'm modding, its going to have the regular Gibson bridge pickup in the middle and a high output Warpig 90 in the bridge, so hopefully ill be able to achieve a wide variety of tones...

As for it sounding different recorded, a lot of the reason I'm doing this is for my band's EP, which ill double up the tracks for (bit of blatant advertising here: www.facebook.com/twinparadoxofficial although its a humbucker invader on that track). As for live performances, the thinness might be a problem as I'm the only guitarist, but we might start looking for a rhythm guitarist soon, which would curb the problem

Rate This Thread: