Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-26-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
tommygun99

Question thunderbird or zodiac BXP

hello guys, i am about to buy my first bass (i am playing the guitar since two years ago, and iknow the basics of the bass). i am cat choose from the epiphone thunderbird vs and the peavey zodiac BXP....i would like to know in 250 euros are worth those basses... and another thing i care about is the hardware... does one of them have a decent hardware that does not go out of tune after 30 minutes of playing??? wich one is better?
tommygun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

Personally I'd go for the Peavey. I have one and I love it. I've had it for maybe three or four years now and never had even the tiniest problem with it. It's never so much as been chipped. It stays in tune very well and the hardware is solid. I've never actually played a Thunderbird but they divide people a lot. They have a very muddy tone and from what I've read at least the Epiphone version isn't very reliable. The Gibson version seems to get better reviews but of course they cost more than 250.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Phil Starr

Don't buy an Epi Thunderbird, the Epi Pro's are much better basses but Thunderbirds aren't really a good bass to start on as the neck dive and the body twist both make them a pain to play, literally. Peaveys tend to be nice to play as are loads of others in this price range, learn to play on a bass that is comfortable and rewarding to play and then buy your Thunderbird later if the sound and look of it is what you really want.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
tommygun99

i will probably go for the peavey then

Last edited by tommygun99 : 12-26-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Yeah. Thunderbirds look cool but it's really neck heavy. I like my Tokai TB, haven't tried the Epiphone. People say the lower end Epi TBs suck so I would at least try it before buying.

I don't find TB sound muddy. Or then it's muddy in a good way because I like the sound. It's not very trebly and you would maybe like to cut some bass frequencies not to get too boomy.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
chatterbox272

I think that Epi TBirds are one of those things, you either love them or you hate them. I've never played one, but I would NEVER buy it blind just because of the large divide there is among bassists about it.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner

For 250eur you could also have an Ibanez SR300, like the Peavey it is an ultra-reliable bass. I've owned both (well, have a millennium instead of a zodiac but it's all much of a muchness) and it is definitely a good bass to consider. The Epiphone on the other hand is terrible.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
tommygun99

i am also thinking about a p bass.... a mim that is probably better than both peavy and epiphone

Rate This Thread: