Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
GMx

Falling

Hey, what's up? Hope you all had a a great Christmas. Well, I finished this last night, a soung I started writting around a year ago, but didn't finish until a couple of days ago. That's a really bad habit I've got, to be honest, writting a few lines of a song and forgeting about them until years later.

Well, it's a quite simple punk-rock song, it's called Falling. You can listen to it here: http://soundcloud.com/user579804/falling (I hope it's not against the rules posting external links, if it is, I'm sorry). I did the drums with a little drum machine I found (Rhythm Pascal), and I used one of my guitars through a simulated bass amp on Studio One for the bass lines.

I lack proper recording equipment AND mixing knowledge, I just tweak things around until it sounds good to me, so it doesn't have the greatest quality, but I enjoy doing that a lot, and I hope I can learn how to do it professionally. Cheers!

I guess I thought we’d be better off alone
But truth be told I’ve never felt so lonely
It took a word to erase the book we wrote
You know for sure how to end the story

You can’t replace a star with fireflies
Don’t say a word, ‘cause you’ll never get it right
I wanna know: were you ever happy?
We can’t replace, we can’t rebuild, we can’t return

We’re just getting old, we’re not growing
We’re not moving on, we’re just mourning
We’re not getting up, we’re just falling
We don’t love, we’re just feeling sorry

You said you loved me like a million times
But it was after guilt fell on your back
And now you’re looking for a place to hide
It won’t be long before they stab you back

The time has come for things to fall in line
And you might even get a second chance
Away from everything you left behind
The hearts you break will come to get you back

We’re just getting old, we’re not growing
We’re not moving on, we’re just mourning
We’re not getting up, we’re just falling
We don’t love, we’re just feeling sorry
(x2)

Last edited by GMx : 12-26-2012 at 11:59 AM.
GMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
benomino324
Tremonti Jr.

Pretty good buddy! I'm kinda in your same boat, I lack good equipment. It's still really good though, keep up the work!

May 1st 2011 Osama is killed.

May 2nd 2011 I decided the sandwich I had last year was pretty good.
benomino324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
GMx

Thanks a lot! I'm really glad you liked it.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #4
chrisslawson

These are really good! I'd be proud if they were mine and I would be happy to show them off in my band. They go really well with the song too. Well played!

P.S - The first two verses are my favourite!;-)
chrisslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
GMx

Thank you! I try not to be braggy or anything, since I don't consider myself as a greeeeaat singer or guitarist, but I'm proud of what I can do. I'm starting a band, actually, but the guys don't seem to be really into it, so I took the time to make this demo for myself, because I liked how it sounded in my head.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
TVDDC

It's you mixed up everything on your own. i am a acoustic singer songwriter and tbh i shouldn't download your song, but i'm really diggin' the lyrics and the fact that you've did it with lack on equipment. i even don't have equipment. i use a video camera to record my song and everything else so its less quality than yours but it's fun to do right.
good job
TVDDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
gorsad

I really liked it considering everything was done with a lack of equipment, really digging the tune and lyrics. I don't really have any experience with songwriting or judging songs, so I might not be the best person to take an opinion from, but still a good song.
gorsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

I really enjoyed it and it sounds great even though you were lacking equipment. My favorite lyrics are probably during the chorus.

Care to C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1580464

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
krm27

First, this is better than anything I could have done. So this is from some one as a potential fan of this type of alt rock, perhaps more than a peer.

It's good in the sense I could hear it on the radio or on a Green Day / Blink 182 type CD (adding in a bit more angst / energy).

However, it would not really hook me because the chorus is too safe, too similar to the verse chords. The song stays in a pocket that it never leaves. My own taste / style is to leave the pocket to create greater tension in listener, then hopefully return to pocket in an interesting way.

I thought the vocals were pretty good, but there seems to be something a bit too restrained about your singing, for this genre. At least IMO.

I'd recommend playing around with moving out of key a bit, or changing key for chorus, or something like that, and maybe let out more emotion and be less restrained singing, then I might be more of a fan. Or maybe that stuff would not work at all, never know till you try.

~Ken
krm27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
GMx

Wow guys, thank you so much for all of your feedback. I was wondering why the song had that much plays on soundcloud and I rememberer I posted here, but I thought the thread would have been lost/closed by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVDDC
It's you mixed up everything on your own. i am a acoustic singer songwriter and tbh i shouldn't download your song, but i'm really diggin' the lyrics and the fact that you've did it with lack on equipment. i even don't have equipment. i use a video camera to record my song and everything else so its less quality than yours but it's fun to do right.
good job

Thanks a lot. Yeah, it's really fun to do this kind of stuff, even when you don't have expensive equipment. I do it with whatever comes handy at the moment, and even if it's not a high-quality job, it's nice to see your work come to life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorsad
I really liked it considering everything was done with a lack of equipment, really digging the tune and lyrics. I don't really have any experience with songwriting or judging songs, so I might not be the best person to take an opinion from, but still a good song.

I still appreciate your opinion, thanks for giving it a chance. I'm glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosmithfan95
I really enjoyed it and it sounds great even though you were lacking equipment. My favorite lyrics are probably during the chorus.

Care to C4C? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1580464

I don't think I have a favorite part, but it's still one of my favorite original songs so far. I have written many, but not been able to record them all, I haven't had time enough. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krm27
First, this is better than anything I could have done. So this is from some one as a potential fan of this type of alt rock, perhaps more than a peer.

It's good in the sense I could hear it on the radio or on a Green Day / Blink 182 type CD (adding in a bit more angst / energy).

However, it would not really hook me because the chorus is too safe, too similar to the verse chords. The song stays in a pocket that it never leaves. My own taste / style is to leave the pocket to create greater tension in listener, then hopefully return to pocket in an interesting way.

I thought the vocals were pretty good, but there seems to be something a bit too restrained about your singing, for this genre. At least IMO.

I'd recommend playing around with moving out of key a bit, or changing key for chorus, or something like that, and maybe let out more emotion and be less restrained singing, then I might be more of a fan. Or maybe that stuff would not work at all, never know till you try.

~Ken

You used a key word here, safe. I kind of thought that too, but I didn't come up with an idea to make it more interesting. I still liked it, though, since it's simple and honest (at least, to me, since the song was written from one to many personal experiences). I have had some ideas for a second guitar, so the song wouldn't sound so repetitive, but I haven't really gotten it. The vocals might sound restrained because I record at night almost always, and I must try not to be so loud. And even when I am loud, I still feel tense about it, so it doesn't sound completely good. I'm still gald you liked it, though. I've learned how to sing by myself, and I've been trying to get lessons, but I have found that actually singing and trying to sing (even if you think you're not gonna make it) it's the best practice. The song is at a "demo" stage, so I will take your advice and try to give it some twists, to make it more interesting. Thank you so much for all of your tips.

Thank you guys, I really, really appreciate all the feedback you can give me about my writing/singing/playing. Thanks a lot.