Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #1
jdenmo

Arrow SM57 Shure Mic questions

i record guitar instrumentals with my guitar. i recently purchased an ibanez GSR200 bass aswell as a peavey MAX112 amp and would like to incorporate bass into my instrumentals which have just been guitar and drums for now. I program the drums on the computer so ill only be recording the guitar and bass.

What I'm wondering is, how does this mic actually work? My goal is to record myself playing live, somehow import the .mp3 / .wav / .whatever onto the computer and then edit it together from there. is there like a USB cable or something that allows me to put it on the computer? I can't really afford a processor or something, im just wondering if anybody else does the same thing and can answer my question.

Also, here's 2 psychedelic/classic/hard rock songs I made to get a glimpse of what my music sounds like:

any advice is appreciated! thanks
jdenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Since your amp is pretty cheap and basic anyway, you're better off just getting an interface to connect your guitar to the PC. There's a ton of free virtual amp software out there that sounds incredible.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #4
jdenmo

i want the sound of recording it live, and then putting that to the computer. i briefly read that thread ^ so i basically have to purchase an interface in order to actually use the mic? I figured I could just record the guitar on the mic and then somehow transfer the audio file i recorded to the computer and then mess around with it. i can really only afford the mic, i didnt know i needed anything else
Old 12-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #5
jdenmo

what do you guys think of these 2 options?

Shure SM57 +
Line 6 Backtrack - Portable Digital Recorder
http://pongettionline.com/products/...l-recorder.html

OR

Samson C03U USB Condenser Microphone
http://pongettionline.com/products/...ophone-663.html

I just want something to record electric guitar and bass and then edit those tracks on my computer. im not skilled whatsoever with recording so simplicity is preferred but i also want the best quality too

Last edited by jdenmo : 12-19-2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Neither of those will get you good quality...

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Nope, and nope.

The C03 USB mic is farily decent, but not what you want for recording guitar.

Again, I don't mean to be nasty but the gear to mic up a guitar amp is quite priecy and tricky to set up - it's just not worth it for a cheap crappy amp. Hell, the MAX 112 is a bass amp, it'll sound like muddy junk mic'd up.

I recommend getting a little Line6 POD or something....or just plugging straight in with an interface and using the free Amplitube.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
jdenmo

the guitar amp i have is a Peavey vypyr 15 watt.

would i be better off getting this? i only plan on recording electric guitar & bass

Blue Mic Yeti USB Microphone

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/c...edCode=WW&=&=&=

Last edited by jdenmo : 12-19-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Bad link.

Besides that, get a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #10
jdenmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblackened
Bad link.

Besides that, get a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.

it linked to a Blue Mic Yeti USB Microphone
Old 12-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #11
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

No. Absolutely not.

Just DI for now until you have a better amp.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #12
chatterbox272

If you insist on using a mic (which is really not the best option considering your gear, especially for bass). Then the cheapest worthwhile option is to get a Blue Icicle and some kind of decent dynamic mic (I don't want to say SM57 because that's not really good for bass IMO).

It would be way cheaper and better sounding to get a basic interface and use amp sims though.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #13
chaosmoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenmo
I figured I could just record the guitar on the mic and then somehow transfer the audio file i recorded to the computer and then mess around with it.

That's what the interface is for, basically.

Yes, there are mics that can connect straight to your computer. But they honestly don't sound very good.
chaosmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #14
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

As its been stated many times, you aren't going to get a very good sound out of a SM57 on your cheap amp. On top of that, USB Mics are usually pretty subpar compared to their non-USB counterparts.

I recommend picking up one of these: http://line6.com/podstudiogx/

Its $100 and you'll be able to get a much better tone using that and virtual guitar/bass amps instead of trying to mic a cheap amp. A cheap amp is going to sound like a cheap amp when its recorded, no matter what you do to it (there are very few exceptions to this rule, VERY FEW).
Old 12-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #15
sajidtoor

guitar is good job for entertainment.......!
sajidtoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #16
jdenmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
As its been stated many times, you aren't going to get a very good sound out of a SM57 on your cheap amp. On top of that, USB Mics are usually pretty subpar compared to their non-USB counterparts.

I recommend picking up one of these: http://line6.com/podstudiogx/

Its $100 and you'll be able to get a much better tone using that and virtual guitar/bass amps instead of trying to mic a cheap amp. A cheap amp is going to sound like a cheap amp when its recorded, no matter what you do to it (there are very few exceptions to this rule, VERY FEW).

so if i get this i dont need a mic? and i want to use a real mic since it gives the guitar a nice real-life feel. if i use that, wouldn't it sound too computer-like? and i dont care how bad my amp sounds tbh, i dig the distorted/live-like sound. so the line 6 pod would work for what i want to do?
Old 12-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #17
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
so if i get this i dont need a mic? and i want to use a real mic since it gives the guitar a nice real-life feel. if i use that, wouldn't it sound too computer-like? and i dont care how bad my amp sounds tbh, i dig the distorted/live-like sound. so the line 6 pod would work for what i want to do?

It's not going to sound good if you mic up your vyper, it'll sound messy, thin and fuzzy and awful. It's NOT going to sound anything like any of the bands or guitarists you aspire to. It's barely going to sound pleasant, let alone good.

You'd be surprised how real guitar amps sound, I'm sure if we gave you an A/B of an amp sim and a real amp, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

But no, the answer your question the Line6 GX isn't going to support a mic. For that you'd want something like the Focusrite Saffire 2i4.

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 12-20-2012 at 09:34 AM.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:

As Chem has said, amp sims have come a long way. Here's a quick test, listen to this quick rough mix of a song I did the other day and tell me if you think its an amp sim or my friend on a Mesa Dual Rectifier: https://soundcloud.com/astrosplashe...-rough-bounce-1

Wanna know what it is? Don't look until you've listened

show

If you're using a subpar amp live a Vypyr, 99% of the time, you'll get a better tone using an amp sim. Even then, it'll take a shit ton of processing to get it right and to sit in the mix well.

By all means, feel free to mic your Vypyr or cheap amp and get a better tone than I could with amp sims. I'm not saying it to sound cocky, I've just been here long enough to see quite a few "Why does my amp sound like shit" threads that start with "So, I'm using a Vypyr...".
Old 12-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #19
jdenmo

so if i get a interface i will be able to play into it and make the sounds i want on the computer using some sort of amp simulator? and im not sure if the line 6 pod is available in Canada, this is some of the stores im looking at:

http://pongettionline.com/products/...e.html?limit=30

http://www.long-mcquade.com/departm...ps_DI_Boxes.htm

http://www.long-mcquade.com/departm...ding/Mixers.htm
Old 12-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #20
schwinginbatman
Excuse me, good sir!

Something like a Focusrite Saffire or Scarlett will get you exactly where you need to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashIsWin
It's like someone listening to some really old blues or whatever and going, "What a prick. Obviously you ****ing 'woke up this morning'. Twat."
schwinginbatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: