Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
herby190
slaps basses and faces.

Soundtrack for a retro-ish RPG

I've been working on some tracks for an RPG; the person said it's supposed to be similar to SNES-era games. The set I posted below contains all the tracks I'm pitching to the programmer. Could I get some opinions on a few of the tracks? I especially need feedback on the tracks towards the bottom of the list; they're more recent.

http://soundcloud.com/reverendherby/sets/halbrid/
herby190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #2
Skyvalve2012

As a fan of C64 and retro game tracks...I loved this. Beautiful!

(Feel free to check out mine, please!)

https://soundcloud.com/#skyvalve
Skyvalve2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
herby190
slaps basses and faces.

Thanks, but I'm really looking for more specific feedback.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Skyvalve2012

Well, I do think you could make a character theme(s), or have you already? It would help with the narrative of the game, maybe.
Skyvalve2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:40 AM   #5
Betaciao
Betaciao

Thanks for commenting on my work herby. I want to listen to your project in 1 sitting before giving any comments so since its late right now I'll do that as soon as I wake tomorrow!
Betaciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
Poisonouspot

Really enjoyed it man the part at 2:09 was probably my favourite part, the intro melody is repeated a bit too much but that's preference, nice track, would fit well with a game off a gameboy thanks for the crit
Poisonouspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
herby190
slaps basses and faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisonouspot
Really enjoyed it man the part at 2:09 was probably my favourite part, the intro melody is repeated a bit too much but that's preference, nice track, would fit well with a game off a gameboy thanks for the crit
Which track is this for?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

These tracks are all really good IMO, and I like the use of a motif. However, A lot of them are a little too fast paced and bumpy. I'm not sure of your knowledge of these types of video games so forgive me if this seems pretentious, but old-school style RPGs on the NES and SNES are generally known for their slower pace. And depending on the setting of the RPG, if it's in a medieval setting as is typical for RPGs, one would need to tap into more of a soothing, enchanting, Baroque-esque sound. Although if it's futuristic like Phantasy Star, then in may fit.

That being said, an RPG can have faster songs as well. "Fading Out" would make a kick-ass battle theme if there's going to be turned-based Final Fantasy-esque battles. I can see "Upon These Hills" and "Off Balance" fitting in somewhere as well.

Some of the other ones are a little to techno/fast to fit in an old-style RPG IMO. I can totally see this whole soundtrack on an action side-scroller such as Megaman, though. But if I was transversing a dungeon to some of those faster tracks it would have me biting my nails.
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
saladforkspear

Location: a place in a little town, the only way to get there is to go straight down
okay... so its sounds like castlevania paying galaga sometimes, with the bit in the 2 minute part sounding a bit like last resort by papa roach before getting all weird and bright-y, like a castle crashers if it was on gameboy; i have no idea what kind of game this would be and it might confuse me with the objectives but overall, this music would make up for any shitty game i've ever played... if it was on there.... don't know if this helped but if you crit mine, i'm only looking for yes bueno or no bueno soooo linky -> http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...716408511581160

i've got a point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0gNut
No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.

TSHM.
saladforkspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Dysprosium

As a long time fan of old school video game music, I must say that I really enjoyed that. Well done.
Dysprosium is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: