Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
ricardo_sousa11

New acoustic

Hey guys, just got a new acoustic guitar (one of the cheap ones) and the action is too damn high ! I will adjust the Truss rod now (The guitar seems to be tilted forward on the naked eye), before thinking about touching the saddle. I seem to have around 5mm gap on 12th fret, which makes it impossible to play on high frets, and it hurts like a b*tch.

What I need to know is, should I relief the string tension, or should the instrument be in tune ?!

How long should I wait after each turn 10-15 minutes ?!

Last edited by ricardo_sousa11 : 12-27-2012 at 08:00 PM.
ricardo_sousa11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Fretboard Phil

You should take the guitar to a pro and have it set up ($20 or $30) or find some good instructions on line. Lowering the action is not what the truss rod is used for.
Fretboard Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
ricardo_sousa11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretboard Phil
You should take the guitar to a pro and have it set up ($20 or $30) or find some good instructions on line. Lowering the action is not what the truss rod is used for.

Unfortunately its not an option to shell out 20-30$, specially since its such a cheap guitar.

I have given it 1/4 of a turn, and its already a noticeable change. I will let it sit for 15-20 minutes before giving it another go.

IF I cant seem to fix it, I will probably give it a try on the saddle. Althoug I can clearly see the neck is tilting forward.

Last edited by ricardo_sousa11 : 12-27-2012 at 08:25 PM.
ricardo_sousa11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
ricardo_sousa11

I have taken 2 pictures of the current action (below), as you can see its pretty high.

After ajusting the Truss, which now seems to have a confortable relief, I should fix the saddle.

Also the tension on the strings is too high, every since I got the guitar (prior to making any changes), can this be from the saddle ?! It's tremendously hard to make a bend.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
stepchildusmc

my mom kept telling me that if i kept playing with my truss rod, i'd go blind. pretty sure the same holds true for your guitar.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
ricardo_sousa11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepchildusmc
my mom kept telling me that if i kept playing with my truss rod, i'd go blind. pretty sure the same holds true for your guitar.

I have left it as it is, it feels much more confortable, but still quite a high action, hence now I'll be moving to the saddle.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
ApatheticMe

Lower gauge strings would help with the tension. Be carefull to sand the saddle down equally across the length of it. Otherwise you could end up with and even worse situation than you already have.

Rate This Thread: