Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-27-2012, 11:40 AM   #1
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Want to get recording...

I really want to start recording myself, even if just for my own educational purposes (I want to learn to mix, produce, etc). I already have a DAW, some drum machine software (which I still suck at using. I can't quite get the beats/rhythms to sound EXACTLY the way I want them to, but I hope practice will do), and received a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (an USB recording interface, in case it's not as well-known as I think it is) from my brother as an Xmas present.

Question is: am I good to go, or do I need something else, in terms of hardware (like a mixer or something) considering I'm interested in recording instrumentals only right now (although I do have a USB microphone which I could use for vocals)? Thanks!
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #2
Hail
kill both bass players

monitors or at the very least studio headphones will be essential in the mixing process

but right now just work at it. it's a craft to learn, and you can fill in the pieces and upgrade later. i wouldn't release anything from such a simple set-up without the skills to bolster it, but just write and record and have fun with it.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Artemis Entreri
Panned

I agree that at the very least you need monitors or (and, honestly) quality headphones.

I guess you'll be using amp sims to make your instrumental music?

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Artemis Entreri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Yeah I still have no idea of what I'm doing, for the record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
monitors or at the very least studio headphones will be essential in the mixing process

but right now just work at it. it's a craft to learn, and you can fill in the pieces and upgrade later. i wouldn't release anything from such a simple set-up without the skills to bolster it, but just write and record and have fun with it.

It won't be up for release. Just educational, MAYBE to show people I want to jam with, or something. I guess I can get the headphones already since I have been thinking about getting a pair of those anyway. I mainly just want to experiment with arranging, recording and mixing. Doesn't need to sound great. I'm used to the DIY punk aesthetics in recordings, and that's what I'd be going for with such minimal equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri
I guess you'll be using amp sims to make your instrumental music?

Yeah. I have an amp, but I think I'd rather use an amp sim. If you can name a good one, I'll go ahead and get it already. However, I'll have to recheck cause I think I may have read in the manual that the Scarlett comes with some amp modeling software download. But because I'm so ADD I'm not sure if I really read it and don't really remember...

Thank you both.

Last edited by CryogenicHusk : 12-27-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
Artemis Entreri
Panned

If you want to learn ANYTHING about mixing you at least need a pair of speakers. Like, if you can't spring for monitors you need at least a set of okay speakers. Even lofi and DIY people use speakers so they can get a "good" bad sound.

as for amp sims...I detest them. I'm not the one to ask. I'd rather record a Marshall MG with a chinese sm57 than use an amp sim.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old 12-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

TS - check out the recordings forum. Some of the guys over there really know their stuff, so that would be a good place to go for advice. The regulars in the chat thread are always pretty helpful to people like you who are just starting out recording.

Also @Artemis: Wouldn't say I detest sims (they work for some people ), but at least I'm not the only one who'd rather record a real amp!
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
Artemis Entreri
Panned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
TS - check out the recordings forum. Some of the guys over there really know their stuff, so that would be a good place to go for advice. The regulars in the chat thread are always pretty helpful to people like you who are just starting out recording.

Also @Artemis: Wouldn't say I detest sims (they work for some people ), but at least I'm not the only one who'd rather record a real amp!

Glad we're two of a kind! Detest is a little bit of a strong word. At 2 in the morning when I want to lay down a track and my roommates are sleeping I'll use an amp sim. Give me an amp any other time

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Old 12-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri
If you want to learn ANYTHING about mixing you at least need a pair of speakers. Like, if you can't spring for monitors you need at least a set of okay speakers. Even lofi and DIY people use speakers so they can get a "good" bad sound.

as for amp sims...I detest them. I'm not the one to ask. I'd rather record a Marshall MG with a chinese sm57 than use an amp sim.

I have pretty good speakers I use to listen to music. I don't have a good amp is the thing (my practice amp is not very good and my home is a bit cramped at the moment so my gigging amp doesn't fit), so amp sims are probably a better idea for now. Maybe when I'm looking to get serious about it and get a good professional sound, I'll upgrade everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington

Will do. Thanks!
Old 12-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
20Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryogenicHusk
I really want to start recording myself, even if just for my own educational purposes (I want to learn to mix, produce, etc). I already have a DAW, some drum machine software (which I still suck at using. I can't quite get the beats/rhythms to sound EXACTLY the way I want them to, but I hope practice will do), and received a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (an USB recording interface, in case it's not as well-known as I think it is) from my brother as an Xmas present.

Question is: am I good to go, or do I need something else, in terms of hardware (like a mixer or something) considering I'm interested in recording instrumentals only right now (although I do have a USB microphone which I could use for vocals)? Thanks!

Yeah you have an audio interface, a DAW, a guitar and lead, a USB mic. You may begin recording.

Don't wait any longer to start. Do it now and do it often. You will always be able to add more equipment and get more stuff. You have years to build up your home studio but you definitely have enough to get started so do not wait any longer - get stuck in.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #10
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
Yeah you have an audio interface, a DAW, a guitar and lead, a USB mic. You may begin recording.

Don't wait any longer to start. Do it now and do it often. You will always be able to add more equipment and get more stuff. You have years to build up your home studio but you definitely have enough to get started so do not wait any longer - get stuck in.

Thanks, I want to get started this weekend.

Rate This Thread: