Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2012, 03:25 AM   #41
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus_2005
What makes these Kramer necks so good?

For me the fretboard isn't ridiculously thin, and the actual neck is a little wider. I've always hated the ultra thin necks and ultra skinny fret boards.

As with any guitar neck it always comes down to preference.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #42
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
I'm not a fan of either personally. They feel too thin for my tastes, but my Kramer neck is buttery goodness.

Yes. The perfect neck for me. I like them better than my 60s Tele necks or my Les Paul neck.

Last edited by LP1951 : 12-29-2012 at 03:47 AM.
LP1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #43
RiseTheFallen

Gibson hasn't failed in any way, and to label a brand to a genre is stupid. There are tons of bands from pop to death metal that uses them.
The fail is that no dealers stock Kramers...
Kramer Guitars = Love.
RiseTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:37 AM   #44
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiseTheFallen
Gibson hasn't failed in any way, and to label a brand to a genre is stupid. There are tons of bands from pop to death metal that uses them.
The fail is that no dealers stock Kramers...
Kramer Guitars = Love.

Hasn't Gibson failed to get their Kramers stocked at music stores? It is Gibson's responsibility to get their guitars stocked not the dealers.

I agree, "to label a brand to a genre is stupid." The Kramer FR 422 is the most versatile guitar that I own. I use it for all styles of music except country and slide. However, if I blocked the trem, I think it would even work for slide.

Last edited by LP1951 : 12-29-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:24 AM   #45
kangaxxter
tune up turn on rock out

kangaxxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #46
LP1951

If someone plays only one style of music, they may be great in that particular style. That's cool. However, if they only play one style, they are limiting their potential as a guitarist and their enjoyment IMHO.

I'm from Mississippi and grew up playing with blues musicians, so I naturally gravitate toward playing the blues, but I have learned other styles some that I enjoy (country chickin pickin), jazz, bluegrass and blues oriented rock; and some that I don't enjoy playing bubble gum rock and metal shredding.

Eddie Van Halen is the most famous Kramer player, I can appreciate his skill even though I do not like Van Halens music and I don't label Kramer guitars as exclusively metal shredders simply because most of the shredders used Kramers.

The fact is that most all of the most popular guitarists of the 80s played Kramers. In 1985 & 1986, Kramer was the best selling guitar brand in the World, more sales than Fender or Gibson. Heck, even Johnny Cash's guitarist played a Kramer and Cash was about as far from Hair Metal as you can get.

Last edited by LP1951 : 12-29-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:57 PM   #47
Boonnoo666
IRL Skwisgaar

The new Kramers are pretty good, and one of my friends has the 211 and raves about it. But my problem with them is that they are a bit too modern for me, and as to the decline, it's because of the decline of ****-rockers, and somehow the name got buried with CockRock.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
Boonnoo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #48
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boonnoo666
The new Kramers are pretty good, and one of my friends has the 211 and raves about it...

It's good to hear Gibson has kept up quality since going retail with the Kramer line.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #49
Alucard817

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP1951
Hasn't Gibson failed to get their Kramers stocked at music stores? It is Gibson's responsibility to get their guitars stocked not the dealers.

I agree, "to label a brand to a genre is stupid." The Kramer FR 422 is the most versatile guitar that I own. I use it for all styles of music except country and slide. However, if I blocked the trem, I think it would even work for slide.

Yes and no.

Yes, because Gibson could do so much more to advertise the brand. As stated a million times in this thread Kramers are incredibly versatile and they have a pretty damn good lineage. Gibson should use that to promote the brand.

No, because of the hype and fanboyism surrounding other "better known" brands.
Look at this site for instance. How many people suggest Ibanez or Jackson guitars over everything else? This hype is everywhere and that is hard to overcome.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:52 PM   #50
LP1951

Quote:

...Gibson could do so much more to advertise the brand...

... How many people suggest Ibanez or Jackson guitars over everything else? This hype is everywhere and that is hard to overcome.

At first, Gibson had a good marketing plan, selling top quality quitars wholesale through Gibson owned Musicyo.com. In the early 2000s, their FR422 & 424 models which were basically the ProAxe design got great reviews. They must have been selling a lot of them because they were constantly out of stock. By 2005, these guitars were back ordered for months. Then in 2009, Gibson shut Musicyo down without having dealers lined up So now they are still selling their Kramers through online dealers at 40% higher prices. They would have been much better off if they had kept Musicyo open until they got firm committments from dealers to stock Kramers.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #51
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

You know, Gary Kramer has his own company...

http://garykramerguitar.com/index.html

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #52
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
You know, Gary Kramer has his own company...

http://garykramerguitar.com/index.html

Yes I've seen those, but I like the Gibson/Kramers much better. I like having a tone control and a push/pull coil tap.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #53
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I haven't looked at the standard models, but I have seen the customs- I bet you could get a GKG with those features.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #54
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I haven't looked at the standard models, but I have seen the customs- I bet you could get a GKG with those features.

Thanks but I already have 3 Kramers and I probably won't buy anymore unless I can find a good deal on a ProAxe, Showster or maybe a SM1.

http://www.vintagekramer.com/company12.htm

http://www.kramerguitars.com/Produc...our-Duncan.aspx

Last edited by LP1951 : 12-30-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #55
jeffo46

Ross Music in R.I. carries them as far as I know. But Gibson does need to push them more since they now own the brand. I'm surprised that Guitar Center doesn't carry them.
jeffo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #56
JustRooster
Organ Donor

The chief reason no one carries Kramer is that no one buys them. Not that no one can buy them because they're not in stores, no stores carry them because no one bought them. It's simple business. Why stock things nobody wants?
Love is blind, and probably missing a few other sense, too.

JustRooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #57
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
The chief reason no one carries Kramer is that no one buys them. Not that no one can buy them because they're not in stores, no stores carry them because no one bought them. It's simple business. Why stock things nobody wants?

Not true.

From 2000 to 2009, Gibson was selling so many Kramers that certain models were constantly sold out and buyers were waiting months to get Kramers.

After Gibson went retail with Kramers, all the online dealers quickly sold all the Kramer FR422s & 424s that they had.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar

Last edited by LP1951 : 12-30-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #58
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

The main thing to remember when judging what shops keep 'in stock' is that what is out on the store floor is not their entire stock. Most shops—especially large chains and those with a big online presence—keep most of their stock in warehouses, and only the most profitable stuff gets put on display in the actual shops. Additionally, many shops will be dealers of a particular brand and be able to order them in, but may not bother to keep models in stock. Most Mayones dealers, for instance, don't actually have any Mayones guitars at all, as they're made to order. As more and more people buy guitars online and physical store sales drop, the less stock shops will get in. Give it a few years and you'll see most stores only buying in to order, outside of the guaranteed sellers like Fender Standard Stratocasters and Epiphone Les Paul Standards.

The second thing to remember is that this topic is stupid, founded on complete guesswork by people with no clue or sense of perspective and is, entirely, nonsense.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #59
LP1951

Quote:
I too like the newer Kramers (Striker 211 is sexy as hell) and these guitars can do a hell of a lot more than just hair metal...

The old early 80s Kramers were limited because they lacked coil taps and models like 5150 were limited because of the one pup, one volume and no tone control design, but the late 80s Kramers like the Stagemaster, ProAxe and Showster IIIs are very versatile. Those then revolutionary designs were copied by the other manufacturers of FR equipped quitars.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #60
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP1951
Not true.

From 2000 to 2009, Gibson was selling so many Kramers that certain models were constantly sold out and buyers were waiting months to get Kramers.

After Gibson went retail with Kramers, all the online dealers quickly sold all the Kramer FR422s & 424s that they had.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...electric-guitar

I'm talking about the stores. Almost no one buys a Kramer off the walls. Sure, they're going to be sold out online when you only make a certain amount. It's a niche market. That market has money.

When only 1,000 people want to buy your guitars, it's easy to make only 100, overprice them, and make them seems like it's impossible to keep in stock. Gibson's running a good business plan by making Kramers seem more in demand than they are.
Love is blind, and probably missing a few other sense, too.

JustRooster is online now   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: