Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Mainer
UG's Cosmic Revolutionary

Staining a Maple Neck with Rosewood Fretboard

So I finally got a new neck and a loaded pickguard to refurbish the old Strat I have. The neck I got was unfinished, my dad and I cut the paddle-shaped headstock into the shape of a regular Strat headstock. I don't want the maple to be any specific color, but I'd like to stain it. Any suggestions on color, or tips or anything?

By the way, the Strat is cherry red, with a black pickguard with all white hardware
Old 12-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
LeviMan_2001

Are you thinking like a vintage amber tint? What I did was finish it (I used lacquer) and then rub brown shoe polish on it. The shoe polish has a solvent that etches it's dyes into the finish and makes a fairly permanent dye (eventually you could wear off the lacquer which would get rid of the dye, thus fairly permanent).

Looks like this:

Rate This Thread: