Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
thecrowing33
Jack.

Overpowering/Underpowering

So I just upgraded my head to this Ampeg SVT 350H, from a 200 watt Acoustic head. I currently have a GK 410SBX for a cab and every time I turn the gain up to about 3 or higher on the Ampeg head, it peaks and sounds incredibly muddy. Is there anything I'm doing wrong as far as wattage, ohms, etc. or is there something incorrect about the EQ I'm using? I know this sounds like a very novice question but I'm honestly sure what to do at this point.

thecrowing33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

The cab can tolerate up to 400W. and your amp delivers only 200W at 8 Ohms (and that is the impedance you get if you plug your head to the gk 410sbx) so the cab should handle it fine. Underpowering is not an issue. it may be the amps sound, if it didn't happen with the acoustic head... But as far as compatibility, there are no problems... The issue must be somwhere else

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
food1010
Bassist

Did you buy the Ampeg new or used? I'd recommend taking it to an amp technician.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
thecrowing33
Jack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
Did you buy the Ampeg new or used? I'd recommend taking it to an amp technician.

I bought the Ampeg used. I'll definitely look into that.

thecrowing33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrowing33
I bought the Ampeg used. I'll definitely look into that.
Yeah, chances are some diodes/capacitors/resistors are blown. If that's the case, a qualified electrician should be able to fix it for pretty cheap.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
Sliide90027

Op Gave only half the story

Sorry for checking in late on this.

Your Gain is half the story.

Where is your Master Volumte set?

I have met a few guys who had new amps who got to pushing the volume for a Gig and they suddenly hate the mud that their amp is producing.

So, I taught them what I used to do when I had a Rack, what I like to do when performing.

I crank my amp's Volume all the way up like I am running a Power Amp. (until the Gtrst with three stacks says TURN THAT S*** DOWN!)

This is so I get as little distortion from my power section by not being over driven by the Preamps section.(In days of Yor the MicroTech 1000 was running flat out and the Yammie PB-1 was at 2.5, one time it actually made it to 3.)

Therefore, my preamp levels are very low, just enough to get tone.

The guys at my Amp Company who built my Combo were incredulous as they said "nobody does that".

I do, and a few guys I have shown it to do, because if you do not open the Power section up, the Preamp Section will be overdriven against the Power Section. Thus, someone is quickly making dirty power that will blow speaker coils and never reach the wattage capacity of those coils.(Guitarists who make amp distortion already know about this.)

Try this very very carefully. (My cabs have some sort of light, car dome lamp or Aircraft Landing Lamp inside to suck up the extra power when I get out of hand, if yours does not, be extra careful in this test.)

Due to the Dirty power that the Amp produces in it's last 10-15%, I would not push the master past 8 unless your performance gain is being pushed past 5.

This is the rule I use in Performance applications, where Overdrive can occur in the clean power bandwidth, as the only reason I want distortion is because I have a pedal making it, NOT my Pre Section trying to to do the Power section's job.

People have called me a Troll for posting these facts, but others have come out in my defense. This is very REAL.

PS - Ohm matching means really only one thing (while it dictates the wattage that the Amp will produce when it is connected to the speaker load) it provides the comfort that you are not operating the Amp under a load that will burn out/melt your Power Transistors or cause other problems like FIRE. . . Like the Guitarist who I worked with who ran 3 stacks with 1 100w Crate Amp (he was down to under 2 ohms). After much Begging I got him down to 1.5 stacks per amp (under 4 ohms) as he bought another Amp, he should have just run the two top ouside cabs and let the other 4 be props. His tone would have been the better for it because the frazzling PT's sounded like Norelco Razors.

Last edited by Sliide90027 : 01-02-2013 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added material
Sliide90027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrowing33
So I just upgraded my head to this Ampeg SVT 350H, from a 200 watt Acoustic head. I currently have a GK 410SBX for a cab and every time I turn the gain up to about 3 or higher on the Ampeg head, it peaks and sounds incredibly muddy. Is there anything I'm doing wrong as far as wattage, ohms, etc. or is there something incorrect about the EQ I'm using? I know this sounds like a very novice question but I'm honestly sure what to do at this point.

A lot depends on what you call muddy and the genre of music that you play.
I play AOR/Soft Rock mainly so my sound will probably be seen as muddy to say a thrash metal bassist.
What must also be considered is that the amp works harder the more Bass you apply on the preamp EQ or the bass itself if it is active, that is where having watts to spare comes in.
The minimum wattage I would consider for unsupported backline is 200 watts for valve/tube and 300 watts solid state.
I run my Ashdown Little Giant with the master at full and the same with my Ashdown RPM1 preamp into my powered cabs
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: