Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #21
dannyalcatraz

Truth is, modern artists, by virtue of having access to recorded media covering all genres, are no longer as constrained by the influence of their contemporaries and local musical history. Instead of genres having a somewhat linear development, musicians can incorporate concepts from music a thousand miles or a thousand years removed from their locale.

That let the Beatles & Zeppelin fuse Eastern themes & instrumentation into their blues based music in the 60s & 70s. It let guitar virtuosos of the 70s & 80s resurrect the techniques of Paganini and others. Guys like Rabih Abou Khalil began incorporating western blues & jazz elements into Arabic music.

Those who have followed have figured out that the only rule is to make it sound good to someone.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:39 AM   #22
ibrahimasood
Is cooler than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
I don't believe the sax was ever anywhere near as popular as the electric guitar. Possibly due to the simple fact that you couldn't change your sounds so much.

Instruments don't always dwindle and die. Look at the piano. It was invented a very long time ago and has been pretty popular ever since. And it's even been greatly expanded upon with keyboards and whatnot.

I don't think the electric guitar will be replaced with something else, in terms of popularity. I also don't think FX pedals will be needed to keep it alive(sounds like life support).

I'd disagree with that, you need to broaden your music tase, there are so many sax players for jazz and piano too same goes with pop music.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #23
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
FFS, people will have been having this exact same discussion at the beginning of the 70s, and the 80s, and the 90s, and the 00s....

And the changing face of music is something that should be discussed. We're happy discussing it and it's interesting, to me anyway. I don't think it's a FFS thread really. It's a bit more interesting than what guitar, what strings etc.

Quote:
Music changes, fashions change, trends come and go but the simple fact of the matter is there's only a limited number of musical instruments out there and nobody's really inventing anything new. There's millions of guitars in the world and loads of people making music with them, through sheer weight of numbers alone guitar music will rumble along regardless, sometimes it'll be very much mainstream and fall into sync with the trends of the time, other times it won't be quite so fashionable but guitars have reached critical mass, they won't go away in much the same way as skateboarding has been given the last rites at least 3 times in the last 40 years

That's a good point. Corporations are marketing their instruments well, and they sell very well. But electronica will become a lot more prevalent in all styles, especially as it's very hard to not plagiarise today. The amount of times I've written something and it's sounded quite like something else. But when I layer something in delay and chorus, it still sounds like something I like, but it's completely different from anything I've heard.

Plus, this is pretty awesome for a new instrument.

And

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #24
JELIFISH19

Mephaphil - Is that really a new instrument? To me, it's a lap-steel with frets. You can just put a 9 or 10-string guitar on a horizontal stand and it's practically the same instrument.
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #25
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELIFISH19
Mephaphil - Is that really a new instrument? To me, it's a lap-steel with frets. You can just put a 9 or 10-string guitar on a horizontal stand and it's practically the same instrument.

Hmm. I think it's different to a lap steel. Are there many 9 stringed guitars? They aren't played by touch in the same way.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-29-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #26
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
FFS, people will have been having this exact same discussion at the beginning of the 70s, and the 80s, and the 90s, and the 00s....

Music changes, fashions change, trends come and go but the simple fact of the matter is there's only a limited number of musical instruments out there and nobody's really inventing anything new. There's millions of guitars in the world and loads of people making music with them, through sheer weight of numbers alone guitar music will rumble along regardless, sometimes it'll be very much mainstream and fall into sync with the trends of the time, other times it won't be quite so fashionable but guitars have reached critical mass, they won't go away in much the same way as skateboarding has been given the last rites at least 3 times in the last 40 years

yeah well you don't see people on skateboards playing violins anymore now do you?
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:53 AM   #27
LP1951

There are basically 3 reasons why the guitar has been the most popular instrument in music for nearly a century: 1. It like the piano is polyphonic and thus it is good for composing. 2. It like the piano can be played acoustically. 3. It unlike the piano is easily portable.

The guitar will continue to be prominent in music as long as there are guitar players and I suspect that there will always be plenty of guitar players for the reasons stated above.

I expect the revolution will be in the design of guitar synthesizers and eventually guitar synthesizers could rival keyboards.

Some have mentioned Jonny Greenwood who was a classically trained violist who continues to compose symphonic music for Radiohead, the BBC Orchestra and movie soundtracks. Why did he switch from viola to guitar as his primary instrument. The guitar is polyphonic, the viola like the sax is monophonic and thus very limited for compositional purposes.

Last edited by LP1951 : 12-29-2012 at 10:02 AM.
LP1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #28
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELIFISH19

I agree that is not a new instrument it is a guitar.

You do realize that a guitar is layed out like a piano. All your frets with markers are your black keys from the piano all others are the ivory keys
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #29
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I agree that is not a new instrument it is a guitar.

You do realize that a guitar is layed out like a piano. All your frets with markers are your black keys from the piano all others are the ivory keys

What? So G and A on the E are black keys? That's funny because on a Piano the G and A are WHITE. The black keys are accidentals, except the B and F which are white. Plus every 4th interval isn't always a major note or white key, it's also a sharp or a flat.

Even on the A string, the C and D on the 3rd and 5th fret are WHITE keys on the Piano.

I might be missing something here...

It's still an innovation regardless. I think it's cool.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-29-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #30
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

I'm going to have to agree with you guys. It seems to me, it's a melding of the bass, guitar and lapsteel. If I close my eyes and listen to it, it's one of those instruments I'm hearing - not something new that's never been heard or done before. The Kelstone is not a new new instrument.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #31
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
I'm going to have to agree with you guys. It seems to me, it's a melding of the bass, guitar and lapsteel. If I close my eyes and listen to it, it's one of those instruments I'm hearing - not something new that's never been heard or done before. The Kelstone is not a new new instrument.

That's probably a good assessment. I think it sounds quite cool though, and it combines a few instruments, as you said. It's an innovation.

Quote:

Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #32
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
What? So G and A on the E are black keys? That's funny because on a Piano the G and A are WHITE. The black keys are accidentals, aprt from B and F. Even on the A string, the C and D on the 3rd and 5th fret are WHITE.

Careful. If you want to get into a discussion of accidentals, the true definition of an accidental is a note that is not diatonic to a particular key. In the key of D, for example, F# and C# are not accidentals. They are diatonic notes to that key. In the key of G, an F would be considered an accidental. From what I've been told and what I've read, the black keys are simply referred to as "the black keys," while the white keys are simply referred to as "the white keys." To refer to the black keys as accidentals, is incorrect. I've been taking piano lessons for just over two years.

Last edited by KG6_Steven : 12-29-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #33
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
That's probably a good assessment. I think it sounds quite cool though, and it combines a few instruments, as you said. It's an innovation.

It does sound quite cool and the guy playing it is quite adept and making it look easy. I had enough problems trying to memorize the notes on a six-string guitar - I can't imagine trying to figure out a Kelstone.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #34
Robbgnarly

Quote:
What? So G and A on the E are black keys? That's funny because on a Piano the G and A are WHITE. The black keys are accidentals, except the B and F which are white. Plus every 4th interval isn't always a major note or white key, it's also a sharp or a flat.

Even on the A string, the C and D on the 3rd and 5th fret are WHITE keys on the Piano.

I might be missing something here...

I ment the way the fret board is layed out is like a piano is layed out. I completely understand that you are not getting the same notes on a guitar, but I was simply talking about layout.

I agree it is a neat concept, but I still hold my belief that it is not a new concept. Not widely used, but still not exactly what I'd call a new Idea.

I do like the topic though TS it deff makes you ponder things.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #35
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:

I ment the way the fret board is layed out is like a piano is layed out. I completely understand that you are not getting the same notes on a guitar, but I was simply talking about layout.

I agree it is a neat concept, but I still hold my belief that it is not a new concept. Not widely used, but still not exactly what I'd call a new Idea.

I do like the topic though TS it deff makes you ponder things.

Aha! I get it now

Quote:

Old 12-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #36
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Aha! I get it now

Yeah I had a friend yrs ago that was a phoenominal pianist (ripped guitar too) and he explaned it to me that way and it only took 9 yrs for my brain to actually grasp the concept. and because of it I can play the piano (fairly well for self tought) a little.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #37
LP1951

Piano like the guitar is one of the easiest instruments to play badly, but like the guitar it is one of the most difficult to play well, but again the main reasons that the guitar is so popular and will remain so is that it is polyphonic and easily portable.

You can play guitar lying down, sitting up or standing up almost anywhere you go except maybe an airplane toilet. You will need a mandolin for that.

Last edited by LP1951 : 12-29-2012 at 12:57 PM.
LP1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #38
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:

Yeah I had a friend yrs ago that was a phoenominal pianist (ripped guitar too) and he explaned it to me that way and it only took 9 yrs for my brain to actually grasp the concept. and because of it I can play the piano (fairly well for self tought) a little.

Oh shit! I totally see it now. My mind is blown. 20 years and I've just seen that /Facepalm.

Haha.

Quote:

Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #39
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
Careful. If you want to get into a discussion of accidentals, the true definition of an accidental is a note that is not diatonic to a particular key. In the key of D, for example, F# and C# are not accidentals. They are diatonic notes to that key. In the key of G, an F would be considered an accidental. From what I've been told and what I've read, the black keys are simply referred to as "the black keys," while the white keys are simply referred to as "the white keys." To refer to the black keys as accidentals, is incorrect. I've been taking piano lessons for just over two years.

You're right, I was incorrect. I meant sharps.

Quote:

Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #40
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Oh shit! I totally see it now. My mind is blown. 20 years and I've just seen that /Facepalm.

Haha.

I know it is actually quite simple to grasp, but it even took me yrs to actually understand what he ment
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: