Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #41
JustRooster
Organ Donor

The only reason we have lost music is because we never had the ability to record them. We still listen to every single style of music since the dawn of modern recording, and even some we don't in the classical world.

I don't think the guitar's going anywhere any time soon.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #42
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
Careful. If you want to get into a discussion of accidentals, the true definition of an accidental is a note that is not diatonic to a particular key. In the key of D, for example, F# and C# are not accidentals. They are diatonic notes to that key. In the key of G, an F would be considered an accidental. From what I've been told and what I've read, the black keys are simply referred to as "the black keys," while the white keys are simply referred to as "the white keys." To refer to the black keys as accidentals, is incorrect. I've been taking piano lessons for just over two years.

I would say so. To say that the black keys are accidental is tantamount to saying that the piano keyboard is accidental. An accidental is an off key note which is inserted in a melody sometimes accidentally or by a trained musician for nuance.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:29 PM   #43
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Let's get back on track before it does become a discussion about theory.

With the garage rock/blues revival there's quite a few good rock n roll bands.

Jack Whites stuff, especially with the Raconteurs, the Black Keys, although a little samey and simple and a band I like a lot, Band of Skulls.

Will blues continue to be revived in such a way? It's cool, but how many times can it be unique? It's getting a little repetitive, which is annoying as it's my favourite genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 12-29-2012 at 01:31 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #44
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist

There will always be guitar music. It's just such a versatile instrument you can put it in every genre of music. It's popularity just fluctuates that's all. I believe since Nirvana it's popularity fell but I am sure with the increase of games such as rocksmith and guitar hero, it's definitely on the rise. Guitar bands are doing very well lately. For Fighters are on top of their game, as are Muse. Bands like Mudford and Sons and Ben Howard also becoming very popular.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #45
LP1951

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by WholeLottaIzzy
There will always be guitar music. It's just such a versatile instrument you can put it in every genre of music. It's popularity just fluctuates that's all. I believe since Nirvana it's popularity fell but I am sure with the increase of games such as rocksmith and guitar hero, it's definitely on the rise. Guitar bands are doing very well lately. For Fighters are on top of their game, as are Muse. Bands like Mudford and Sons and Ben Howard also becoming very popular.

Definitely!

The Guitar is here to stay!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #46
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

While I can see guitar music diminishing in popularity, I don't think it's going to disappear completely. The guitar, especially the electric variety, plays a huge role in the popular culture of the late 20th century. It has cemented its place in history, and is still used for new and innovative music today. It's not going anywhere.

I've noticed a recent revival in acoustic and "rootsy" blues-influenced electric guitar music. I think it provides a convenient alternative for people who aren't into the whole electronic thing. Acoustic folk music is pretty much the polar opposite of electropop and dubstep or whatever the kids listen to these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Will blues continue to be revived in such a way? It's cool, but how many times can it be unique? It's getting a little repetitive, which is annoying as it's my favourite genre.

I'm no expert on blues, but I think many people adhere too rigidly to the standard 12-bar blues structure. However, that is not the only thing that defines the blues genre, and it's possible to move away from the structure while still making blues music.

Does that make any sense?

Last edited by sashki : 12-29-2012 at 08:11 PM.
sashki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #47
dannyalcatraz

People also forget or don't realize that, while its not necessarily the focal instrument, guitar keeps getting used in all kinds of electronica and rap, especially in compositions. Devo, for instance, always included the guitar work of Bob Mothersbaugh. Stetsasonic had a full band- not unlike the Roots or Outkast- on the rap side.

And it goes both ways- this year, both Korn and Muse released albums including elements from the latest electronic genre to rise to the top of the popularity mountain, namely dubstep/brostep.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #48
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
The Sax example should have been explained a bit better. In the 30's and 40's the Sax was pretty cool to play, like the electric guitar of the 60's. It was much more popular due to jazz being everywhere. But now, it's a select few and not many people outside of particular areas play it. Even in the 80's it would be identifiable on a lot of popular, radio played tracks. But now you'll hardly ever hear one, because music has changed drastically over the last couple of decades. It's not long for such a popular instrument to become nearly obsolete for commercial pop music.

When I have kids I'd love to be able to teach them the guitar and have them talk to me about the Clash and Rage Against the Machine etc as they get into the bands I got into when they get old enough, and I don't see indie or blues based garage rock becoming ancient anytime soon, but their kids? Will they look at my Gibson like one might look at a recorder, cool, but outdated in many forms of popular culture?

I don't know how old you are but I always see the yunguns on here talking about bands I liked when I was a kid; Megadeth, Metallica, heck even Zeppelin is still huge.
I have two kids now, ages 2 and 4. Really too young to learn but they love it when daddy takes out his 'tar (as the 2-year-old says)

I think we are going to see guitar more and more linked to computers and digital effects etc. Back in my day *cue old man voice* we did not have modelling amps, for example.

Maybe we'll see more types of new effects that can only be done on a computer (if they don't have these already.)
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #49
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP1951
Definitely!

The Guitar is here to stay!

We said the same thing about bulletin boards and modems back in the early 90s.

Change. It's a happening thing.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #50
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
We said the same thing about bulletin boards and modems back in the early 90s.

Change. It's a happening thing.

Apples and oranges.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #51
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
Apples and oranges.

I like plums.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #52
azrael4h

Quote:
The Sax example should have been explained a bit better. In the 30's and 40's the Sax was pretty cool to play, like the electric guitar of the 60's. It was much more popular due to jazz being everywhere. But now, it's a select few and not many people outside of particular areas play it. Even in the 80's it would be identifiable on a lot of popular, radio played tracks. But now you'll hardly ever hear one, because music has changed drastically over the last couple of decades. It's not long for such a popular instrument to become nearly obsolete for commercial pop music.

On the other hand, I've noticed more and more new artists making use of fiddles/violins, mandolins, and even the occasional banjo in rock and pop (Bon Jovi has made use of a fiddle recently, Third Day has made extensive use of mandolin and banjo backing their usual Gibson electrics, Project 86 used mandolin and pipes, etc...). So while guitar may wane some, which is has in the past 60 years, that doesn't mean it'll come close to dying, and doesn't mean it won't come back later.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #53
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael4h
On the other hand, I've noticed more and more new artists making use of fiddles/violins, mandolins, and even the occasional banjo in rock and pop (Bon Jovi has made use of a fiddle recently, Third Day has made extensive use of mandolin and banjo backing their usual Gibson electrics, Project 86 used mandolin and pipes, etc...). So while guitar may wane some, which is has in the past 60 years, that doesn't mean it'll come close to dying, and doesn't mean it won't come back later.

On a recent Later...with Jools Holland, Public Image Limited played 3 songs. The lead guitarist- Lu Edmonds- used a Tele on one song, but used a bazouki on the other two.

Let me say that the bazouki with guitar effects was unearthly...

(but so was his Tele)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV-z07K0lz8&sns=em

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 12-29-2012 at 11:14 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 AM   #54
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Guitar has been used in classical and folk music for a long time. And you can't play rock music without that dirty electric guitar sound. I'm not sure if people will listen to rock music that much in the future. But people still listen to over 300 years old classical music so why not? Pop music might become more electronic and people might not use real instruments that much any more in the future. But I'm sure people will listen to old music like we listen to old music today.

But as somebody said, with guitar you can play many notes at the same time so it's a versatile instrument. People still play saxophone and all the other instruments even though they aren't used in pop music that much. They are still used in jazz and classical and lots of music has been written for them.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #55
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
Guitar has been used in classical and folk music for a long time. And you can't play rock music without that dirty electric guitar sound. I'm not sure if people will listen to rock music that much in the future. But people still listen to over 300 years old classical music so why not?

But as somebody said, with guitar you can play many notes at the same time so it's a versatile instrument...

Exactly.

The guitar like the piano is polyphonic. It is silly to compare a guitar to a sax. (Incidentally I used to play sax.) A better comparison is guitar to other polyphonic stringed instruments: sitar, banjo, koto, harp, bouzouki (which is just another name for a mandola), mandolin or mandola.

I play electric and acoustic mandolin and mandolas. I love those instruments. The are smaller and even more easily portable than guitars, but the guitar is much more versatile and better suited for composing.

Last edited by LP1951 : 12-30-2012 at 10:37 AM.
LP1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #56
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
I don't know how old you are

I'm late 20's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP1951
The guitar like the piano is polyphonic. It is silly to compare a guitar to a sax. (Incidentally I used to play sax.) A better comparison is guitar to other polyphonic stringed instruments: sitar, banjo, kyoto, harp, bouzouki (which is just another name for a mandola), mandolin or mandola.

No one compared the guitar to the sax. The popularity was compared, the influence in popular culture was compared, not the instrument. It's silly to not realise that. Comparing a sitar to the guitar in popular music would be ridiculous, and wouldn't make any sense to the argument which is; the sax was big, it ain't big now, could the guitar be forgotten? If you then want to talk about the instrument being generally more accessible that's cool and relevant, but no one said they were similar instruments in any way.

Quote:

Old 12-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #57
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
On a recent Later...with Jools Holland, Public Image Limited played 3 songs. The lead guitarist- Lu Edmonds- used a Tele on one song, but used a bazouki on the other two.

Let me say that the bazouki with guitar effects was unearthly...

(but so was his Tele)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV-z07K0lz8&sns=em

A bazouki (mandola) is a fun instrument to play. Like a guitar you can do bends and finger pick. I found that it was relatively easy instrument to learn to play. A whole lot easier than a sitar or a banjo.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:53 AM   #58
LP1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrael4h
On the other hand, I've noticed more and more new artists making use of fiddles/violins, mandolins, and even the occasional banjo in rock and pop (Bon Jovi has made use of a fiddle recently, Third Day has made extensive use of mandolin and banjo backing their usual Gibson electrics, Project 86 used mandolin and pipes, etc...)...

I've always loved the sound of mandolins. Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones put mandolins to great use with Led Zeppelin in the 70s. Others bands used violins in the 60s and 70s and of course Dave Matthews band uses a violin extensively. But the guitar was always and still is the most prominent stringed instrument used in popular music.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #59
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

The latest Maccabees album; Given to the Wild is really awesome. Very cinematic. It's completely dominated by orchestral instruments, with Sax's all over the place.

Really great album.

Quote:

Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #60
LP1951

[QUOTE=Mephaphil] ...It's completely dominated by orchestral instruments, with Sax's all over the place...QUOTE]

The sax is not an orchestral instrument. It was invented in 1846 after all the greatest orchestral composers were dead.

Rate This Thread: