Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
TadMod

Which instruments can you play?

I'm interested in seeing how many people are multi-instrumentalists.

For me:

Piano - I can play quite well, I have good speed and ability on that front. In terms of theory, however, I'm quite limited (can't read music quickly enough, not certain on all the scales, etc..)

Guitar - Novice in every possible way. I know a few chords, can pick with relative ease, but I am nowhere near any kind of proficiency.

Harmonica - Not quite a Novice, but not a pro either. I can get what I want to get done on it, which isn't much.

So, what about you guys?
TadMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

i'd say the only two instruments i can play with proficiency are piano and guitar.

i'm at a moderate level on bass (which is, oddly enough, the instrument on which my sight-reading is best), harmonica, mandolin, vocals, and most percussion instruments.

i'm at a novice level on the upright bass, harp, mandolin, and accordion. i can play them, i can make them sound good, maybe even record some lines with them, but i wouldn't advertise my ability to play them without further refining them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elintasokas
Dude, AeolianWolf knows what he's talking about.
i smell a theme.
AeolianWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
food1010
Bassist

Bass - Primary instrument. I'd call myself pretty proficient. I could sit down and learn pretty much anything (within reason, of course) you put in front of me. I could be a lot better if I actually practiced but I don't have any specific skills I really want to improve. At this point I'm only really motivated when I have a goal in mind (i.e. a like-minded band, writing songs, building a fanbase).

Guitar - I wouldn't say I'm equally skilled at guitar since I haven't put in as much time but I feel like my chops for both have built on each other. I struggle to play in tune on guitar and sometimes don't have the delicate touch I wish I had, because I'm used to needing to press down a lot harder on bass.

Sax - I played in elementary through high school, haven't really picked it up much since. I can get a solid tone, and I can pick up on stuff decently quick, but it's definitely discouraging to not be near where I am on guitar/bass.

Piano - God awful. I took piano for two semesters in college and I'm still terrible. Can barely play through any sheet music. My timing is terrible. I can mash out chords but not really in time.

Singing - I was terrible for the longest time but singing lessons in college helped a lot. I now feel pretty confident in my singing voice. I still need a lot of work though.

I tried to learn trumpet and didn't get very far.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

None.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
sometimes don't have the delicate touch I wish I had, because I'm used to needing to press down a lot harder on bass.

isn't that funny -- that's the exact reason (vice versa of course) that i only consider myself intermediate on bass. my touch on bass is very delicate and i'm not particularly satisfied with it.
Quote:
i smell a theme.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #6
TadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
i'd say the only two instruments i can play with proficiency are piano and guitar.

i'm at a moderate level on bass (which is, oddly enough, the instrument on which my sight-reading is best), harmonica, mandolin, vocals, and most percussion instruments.

i'm at a novice level on the upright bass, harp, mandolin, and accordion. i can play them, i can make them sound good, maybe even record some lines with them, but i wouldn't advertise my ability to play them without further refining them.

Wow, lol! I don't think I've even had the chance to TOUCH half of those instruments!
I think if I pick up anything after getting better at the guitar, it would probably be something from the woodwind or brass family. I've always liked them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by food1010
Bass - Primary instrument. I'd call myself pretty proficient. I could sit down and learn pretty much anything (within reason, of course) you put in front of me. I could be a lot better if I actually practiced but I don't have any specific skills I really want to improve. At this point I'm only really motivated when I have a goal in mind (i.e. a like-minded band, writing songs, building a fanbase).

I'm in the same sort of situation with Piano. I know I need to learn sight-reading. I want to do it, even. It's just that the motivation for doing so doesn't actively exist, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz_rock_feel
None.

Sarcasm?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Upright Bass - probably my second best instrument. I've been playing like 8 years.
Guitar - Third Best, I've been playing 6-7 years now
Sax - haha I ****in suck
Kazoo - I'm amazing. Best kazooist you've never heard right here.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
TadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
Kazoo - I'm amazing. Best kazooist you've never heard right here.

YOU'RE HIRED!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Guitar, bass, ukulele, piano, drums, sax, clarinet, and singing. Further more, why does it matter?
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
ouchies
UG's OG

Guitar, Bass, Voice.

Instead of learning new instruments I tend to just learn new styles of guitar, most recently its been delta blues slide guitar
Old 12-28-2012, 11:02 PM   #11
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadMod
YOU'RE HIRED!

I knew those expensive free lessons would come in handy
Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #12
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante

Quote:
Wow, lol! I don't think I've even had the chance to TOUCH half of those instruments!
I think if I pick up anything after getting better at the guitar, it would probably be something from the woodwind or brass family. I've always liked them.

i've always wanted to do woodwinds and brass, too, but i just seem to have a penchant for strings and keyboards.

i've always, always, always, ALWAYS wanted to learn sax.
Quote:
i smell a theme.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
bangoodcharlote
Fractal

Guitar

I sing sometimes, though this is perhaps best done when I'm in the car (alone) or the shower (again, alone).

Mazel tov to you all who are good with a bunch of instruments. I've never had any desire to play anything but the guitar. If I had the time to learn the piano, I'd spend it learning the intro to The Glass Prison and re-nailing Romeo's tapping lick in Sea of Lies. (I at least think I used to be able to play Romeo's lick.)

"Melodic Control" by Marty Friedman: A video on soloing
A Great Theory Lesson

A Harmonizing Lesson
The Correct Way To Play The Gallop

~Sue
bangoodcharlote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #14
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
i've always wanted to do woodwinds and brass, too, but i just seem to have a penchant for strings and keyboards.

i've always, always, always, ALWAYS wanted to learn sax.
Do it dude. Tenor sax is one of the sexiest instruments.

Likewise, I've always wanted to learn trumpet. It's god damn difficult though. I feel like trumpet to sax is an easier transition. You don't need much embouchure or support to spit out some notes on sax, but trumpet is a whole different beast.

Quote:
isn't that funny -- that's the exact reason (vice versa of course) that i only consider myself intermediate on bass. my touch on bass is very delicate and i'm not particularly satisfied with it.
It's ****ing tough to find that balance.

Last edited by food1010 : 12-29-2012 at 12:13 AM.
food1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #15
aerosmithfan95
Call me Billy.

Guitar- I've been playing guitar for 4.5 years now. I would say my technique if pretty proficient and I'm pretty decent at improv. I can learn almost anything (not some insane shred or metal stuff, but reasonable stuff) with some ease. Lately, I've been kind of slacking off. I really need to learn more songs (and remember some I used to do) as well as improve my ear since I need some improving/refining with it. I'm also beginning to work on some of my own music.

Violin- I've been playing violin since the 4th grade (so, 8 years). I'm technically adequate, but I'm not the best at it and I could use tons of practice to where I'd be at happy with my abilities.

Piano- I'm still a novice pianist. I can't play some simple chords, but nothing too fancy. I have some trouble syncing up both of my hands and I really should practice reading sheet music when I play.

Those are the instruments I play, but I put the majority of my attention on guitar. I have a pretty firm grasp on basic theory and I can read music for both guitar and violin (though I dont sightread often for guitar).

Some instruments I'm instrument in learning are Bass, mandolin, and ukulele, but I don't think those'll happen for awhile due to lack of money to buy them.

Guitar --> Pedals --> Amplifier
aerosmithfan95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #16
food1010
Bassist

^Ukelele is stupid easy if you're half decent at guitar, plus you can pick one up for $50.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #17
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

violin, guitar, keyboard. none of them very well

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #18
Hail
kill both bass players

i stopped bothering with accessory instruments. just bass now

i've tangoed with various brass and strings but nothing to write home about.
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #19
TadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
Guitar, bass, ukulele, piano, drums, sax, clarinet, and singing. Further more, why does it matter?

It doesn't matter. It's all purely out of morbid curiosity!

SIDE NOTE:
It seems that the piano/bass/guitar combination are quite common. I wonder if it's to do with the instruments themselves being more popular or for other reasons.

Also, surprised how few people have worked with percussion, specifically the drums. (wasn't expecting too many xylophonists on UG, to be honest, haha)
Old 12-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #20
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Also, surprised how few people have worked with percussion, specifically the drums. (wasn't expecting too many xylophonists on UG, to be honest, haha)

lol you have to factor in many UGers' extremely liberal definition of what constitutes "playing"

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: