Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-29-2012, 02:33 AM   #21
evolucian

I can play three chords really well on guitar, so I'd say I'm halfway to proficient.

Piano: not so much. If someone's around I always have to ask them what chord I'm on. Working with sound is not a problem... knowing where I am on the ivories... big problem.

Bass: Not bad. Terrible slap and popper, but can funk real well despite that lack of technique. Can lay a groove but get too frustrated as I'm not Victor Wooten yet.

others: If it requires a bow, make sure its not your instrument I'm trying. I tend to break the hairs and crack the bow. Super duper light touch... not in my vocabulary. Can lay a basic beat on drums... but using all the limbs confuses me and after 30 seconds the kangaroo kick comes in and destroys everything. I've broken timpanis too. Played it at an Eisteddfod twice - the guitar spot was taken and they needed someone else to accompany the choir. Was never asked to play again. Sigh... shattered dreams

Can't sing for shit
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #22
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TadMod
Sarcasm?

Nope, seriously. I don't play anything anymore.

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:38 AM   #23
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
lol you have to factor in many UGers' extremely liberal definition of what constitutes "playing"

I can play Guitar, Violin, and Piano.

When I say play, I mean I can hit strings and make sounds.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #24
ibanez1511

Guitar,Bass,Ukulele,Mandolin to an advanced level.

violin , just about intermediate.
piano : more confident intermediate , can some play advanced music...slowly.
drums:confident. intermediate to advanced.
voice: i can sing simple folk music in key. (probably at the same level as my violin playing.
electric keyboard, i can make mario-esqe music well. again confident intermediate.
ibanez1511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:28 AM   #25
griffRG7321
Forever Bulking

Guitar
Piano
Pencil and paper

Barbeesha Latoya Jackson: "Awh hell naw mutha fuka, u wanna learn da art of composition all up in here?
griffRG7321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:32 AM   #26
chronowarp

I can play potato
Old 12-29-2012, 06:51 AM   #27
Wild_One

I'm very proficient in playing triangle...

Instrumental
Metalcore
Death Metal
80's
Globalized Hoax
Technical Difficulties (Cover)
Wild_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:01 AM   #28
TadMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian
I can play three chords really well on guitar, so I'd say I'm halfway to proficient.

Piano: not so much. If someone's around I always have to ask them what chord I'm on. Working with sound is not a problem... knowing where I am on the ivories... big problem.

Bass: Not bad. Terrible slap and popper, but can funk real well despite that lack of technique. Can lay a groove but get too frustrated as I'm not Victor Wooten yet.

others: If it requires a bow, make sure its not your instrument I'm trying. I tend to break the hairs and crack the bow. Super duper light touch... not in my vocabulary. Can lay a basic beat on drums... but using all the limbs confuses me and after 30 seconds the kangaroo kick comes in and destroys everything. I've broken timpanis too. Played it at an Eisteddfod twice - the guitar spot was taken and they needed someone else to accompany the choir. Was never asked to play again. Sigh... shattered dreams

Can't sing for shit

I am now ridiculously keen to hear you play all of those things and sing. I laughed so hard when I read this post.

Quote:
I can play potato

I hear it's quite good for mash-ups. (Rimshot!)

Quote:

Random question, does an orchestra ever have one person dedicated to playing the triangle? or does that person have to play multiple instruments to make up for it?
TadMod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #29
Hail
kill both bass players

this site attracts a lot of those generic kids in high school you remember who had a guitar somewhere or another but never started a band. various genres, but all were pretty horrific in their own right, at least as far as fandom goes. the only reason you're hearing anything other than guitar (and bass because they think they know what they're doing just because it has strings and they can pick it) is because:

a) at a certain level of musicality, you understand that each instrument has its own voice and most people will either adapt to one that fits them best or broaden their horizons to composition and orchestration

or b) because they played a mandolin at guitar center once and it totally counted cause they figured out the riff to enter sandman in only like 5 minutes. and/or they played an instrument as an elective in middle school but never actually paid attention or drew anything of use to their later musical education because learning to play "jingle bells" in-tune for your class doesn't involve using modes
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #30
GoldenGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_One

Triangle is actually surprisingly difficult, playing a 5:4:3 polyrhythm while accenting all the necessary notes is actually really difficult to do. Especially once you start playing triangle with two hands with it hanging on a stand.
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #31
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGuitar
Triangle is actually surprisingly difficult, playing a 5:4:3 polyrhythm while accenting all the necessary notes is actually really difficult to do. Especially once you start playing triangle with two hands with it hanging on a stand.

and what if it breaks a string in the middle of a song?
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #32
GoldenGuitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
and what if it breaks a string in the middle of a song?

You kick the triangle back up and hold it with your teeth, then keep playing!
GoldenGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #33
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Guitar - a bit over 3 years
Trumpet - 11 years
Bass - started before guitar but I bought my first bass this year. I used to play on school's and my friend's basses. And I have been playing the bass in a band for a year and a half (I played on my friend's bass for a year ).
Drums - I can play basic beats. Nothing special. But I have been a drummer in a gig twice.
Piano - I can only play chords. Finding chords on piano is the easiest though, easier than on guitar. It's kind of my transcribing instrument.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #34
gunsnroses#1
Banned

Guitar - Been pickin' dem strings for about four or five years now (can't remember what year exactly I started) and I'd say I'm proficient. Like most people who hear me tell me I'm very talented, but I always compare myself to my idols so I don't think I'm very good at all. Moderate theory, never tried reading sheet music for/with guitar.

Piano - Been playing two years and have been taking classes in college for it. It's the only instrument I've actually read music for while playing (besides singing, but I don't really read the music, I just memorize the melody). I'm ok at it, I can only play a few songs that I wouldn't consider "practice songs" all the way through on it.

Vocals - I was in advanced choir in high school (which wasn't really that hard to get into at my school admittedly) and am taking lessons now in college. I'm decent at it I guess. I'm a baritone, but wish I was a tenor so I could sing more songs I like.

I really want to learn violin, but haven't got around to buying one yet.
gunsnroses#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:36 PM   #35
gunsnroses#1
Banned

Is mayonnaise an instrument?
gunsnroses#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #36
will42
UG's bassoon-master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnroses#1
Is mayonnaise an instrument?

No and horseradish isn't either.

Bassoon- My main instrument almost six years now.
Bass
Guitar
Saxophone
Clarinet
Piano
Mandolin
Banjo

The life of a Music education major. I'm adding oboe and flute to the list this coming semester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
will42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:44 PM   #37
demonhellcat

6 string guitar: pretty good rhythm player, I can improv okay, and play some lead.

5 button guitar: I'll ROCK YOUR FACE OFF!
demonhellcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #38
Jacobrivers8

I play guitar and cello, and have dabbled with ukelele and bass. I'd say the cello is my main instrument, since I by far spend the most time on it and would consider it to be the instrument I'm most proficient at; Which is kind of funny since it was the guitar that brought inspiration to my cello playing. I've learned how to play my cello in styles that would normally be associated with guitars. I'm probably one out of like two or three cellists on this forum lol.
Jacobrivers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #39
LazyHardRocker

Guitar - Main instrument. Not really a beginner anymore, but still wanna learn to solo, and some more theory on all those odd chords would be nice.

Harmonica - Got one on my desk. Learned the root notes to Paradise City for shits and giggles, would like to play some more though.

Bass - Played a couple times, all went well.

Keyboards - My sister got tired of it and dumped it in my room. Figured out a few things.

Drums - Beginner, footwork is tricky.

Vocals - Auditioned for open mic night at school (vocal/guitar cover of Wonderwall, the official douchebag song, i know). Didn't pass but they didn't cut me off either so...
Old 12-30-2012, 12:45 AM   #40
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

I play guitar, bass, and a little bit of drums and keys. I also sing. I'm equally terrible at all of them.

Quote:
and bass because they think they know what they're doing just because it has strings and they can pick it...

...or because you're a solo artist who has to learn how to play it because otherwise you can't have it in your recordings. It was simpler to teach myself bass than to find another musician to play with who could adhere to my ridiculous schedule... 'sides, I like it.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: