Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 AM   #41
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle

Viola - Been playing for five years, and it's easily my most proficient instrument.

Guitar - Playing for three years... and I didn't even realize it until just now. Time does indeed fly. O_o

Piano - Enough to get by, and have been playing for 3 months.

Bass - Playing for a year.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
show
Mister A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #42
Haydenr25

Guitar - Been playing for two years, half decent at improv. Know my scales, chords, decent amount of theory. Much tighter as a rhythm player than a lead player but I can take a solo when I need to.

Bass - Been playing for just over a year. Got into a 3 piece band which really pushed my capabilities and I picked up a lot quickly. The left hand technique was sort of there from playing guitar previously. Intermediate overall, can get a groove down, improvise and lock things in with a good drummer.

Piano - Started this 3 years ago, then dropped it after a year when I started playing guitar. I could probably still knock out a few tunes but haven't touched a piano in a year.

Drums - Been playing for two years, probably my most natural instrument. Feel most at home behind a kit, I pick up techniques, fills and parts to song quite easily. I dissected a set for a band I had just joined without even touching a drumkit, picked out all the beats, fills etc. Turned up to a practice session and nailed it. I once considered dropping other instruments because I feel most natural as a drummer than a guitarist/bassist.

Last edited by Haydenr25 : 12-30-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Haydenr25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:36 AM   #43
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonStevens

...or because you're a solo artist who has to learn how to play it because otherwise you can't have it in your recordings. It was simpler to teach myself bass than to find another musician to play with who could adhere to my ridiculous schedule... 'sides, I like it.

you sound defensive
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:29 PM   #44
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
you sound defensive

No, just sayin'. I don't quite understand the hate.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #45
macashmack
Maskcashmack

Guitar - I am easily a virtuoso. I have yet to find another player who is on my level in technique or understanding of the instrument. My ability pars that of Steve Vai, and soon i will surpass him.

I also have perfect pitch and synesthesia, and i can take any sound that i hear and turn it into a more beautiful composition than anyone else can, even if they work on it for 10 years.

I am also the most humble guy in the world. I have never met a more selfless or less egotistical person in my travels.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #46
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarsonStevens
No, just sayin'. I don't quite understand the hate.

you would if you were a real bassist
Old 12-31-2012, 08:13 AM   #47
evolucian

define real bassist?
evolucian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:14 AM   #48
National_Anthem
Quite the toff

Violin/viola - modern/baroque:
I'm at music college studying violin, and I do a fair amount of professional/paid gigs on the side. I would say that I'm at a professional level, I could make a living out of it now if I had the contacts. That's not to say I don't dislike my playing in a lot of ways, and have a shit load of stuff to work on. I don't have a viola, so my viola playing is totally dependant on the instrument that I manage to borrow when I need it. It's not just a question of the quality of the instrument, a lot of violists use bigass violas that make me feel like I've got a wardrobe under my chin, and it ends up being painful to hold within about 20 minutes.

My baroque playing is far from brilliant, in part down to the fact that I have a god awful instrument on loan, with a totally warped bridge and just generally piss poor set up, that I'm too lazy/poor to sort out. Plus a £20 bow that I bought of ebay (it's cheaper for me to buy another of those bows than to get a rehair )

I have plans to start messing around with various medieval/renaissance fiddles/viols/lyres, but getting hold of the instruments is a real pain, and the opportunity to use them isn't great if you don't like playing with singers

Piano:
I can play well enough to be able to get through Bach Fugues in an extremely sloppy fashion, and bash through stuff to accompany friends. My main problems are control over rhythm and dynamic/volume (so basically the two fundamentals of making sound on the piano LOL). I don't practise, and have no wish to be any better: my limited capabilities are more than enough for what I want to do with piano playing.

Guitar:
I used to be in a band, and was a lot more proficient than I am now. I was a rhythm player, almost all of the voicings and extended chords that I used to use have totally deserted me, so now I'm not much more than a campfire guitarist. Might pick it up again, but I don't really have any time or occasion to play any more, plus I sold almost all of my gear.

I'm thinking of taking part in a challenge with some friends at music college, we're going to try and get to grade 3 on a totally unrelated instrument to our own to raise money for Children in Need. We'll probably start over the summer or something to give ourselves less time to do it, because I think it's in November sometime. I'm thinking clarinet or trombone.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:02 AM   #49
Vlasco
Turn of the century man!

Violin, guitar, and bass guitar with any proficiency. I learned piano as well as was required by proficiencies, sax and clarinet well enough to function in a trachtenkapelle, and ukulele for fun but I wouldn't say that I'm usefully good at any of the latter.
Vlasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:02 PM   #50
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolucian
define real bassist?

shhh i'm pulling his chain don't spoil it
Old 12-31-2012, 03:04 PM   #51
SymphonyMachine

I used to be a Saxophone player until I developed TMJ.
I'm now a classical guitar student, but I spend as much time working on electric playing as well.
I'm a decent bassist playing both electric and upright. Even though I consider my self a guitarist all of my paying gigs have been on bass.
I also like to dab in piano, voice, and percussion. But I wouldn't consider myself a "player" of those.

As a music major, I'm required to learn fundamentals of many instruments, but I'm not a "player" of those either.
SymphonyMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #52
CarsonStevens
Rocksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
shhh i'm pulling his chain don't spoil it

Most action I've gotten in months.

I might've asked you to define a "real bassist" myself, if I'd felt like keeping the hijack going.

I think I get it, though. A friend of mine recently asked me to give her guitar lessons. She can already read music, doesn't want to learn to write her own, doesn't want to know any theory, and basically just told me she wants to learn TAB. After struggling with figuring out how to structure her lessons for a few months, I bought her a chordbook, told her how to read the diagrams, and left it at that. I believe her exact words were, "You know how people say you only need three chords to play a song? I wanna learn those three chords."

Coming here, I hear stories of people calling themselves drummers who can't keep a beat, among other things. Really puts my own experience into perspective when I feel like I don't know what I'm doing.

Last edited by CarsonStevens : 12-31-2012 at 04:00 PM.
CarsonStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #53
Andalus
Bànned

Guitar - Been playing the guitar for 3 & a half years now, easily the instrument that I am most accomplished at. I don't practice anymore (I know I should) because I know all the chops and stuff for the music that I actually play. Still, I'm pretty good on the ole guitar.

Piano - Actually my first instrument, been playing for 6+ years, can't remember. Used to be a great player... until I picked up the guitar. Nowadays I dabble, I can still play, but not to a brilliant standard. There are some tough pieces that are just ingrained in my memory, which make me seem like a better player than I really am. In reality, if you asked me to solo over a Cm chord progression, I'd be screwed.

Bass - Awful on the bass, loads of fret buzz, sloppy dynamics. I'm no bassist, but I can play it to a decent enough point to record my demos, and that's good enough for me.

Vocals - Some don't consider it an instrument, but it takes as much skill as any of the above. Been singing for a while, front my own band. I'm a good singer, nothing special. My very deep Nottinghamshire accent shows through in my singing, and it's very difficult people outside the UK (even inside in some cases ) to understand what I'm singing - especially during fast sections. Still, it works for the genre of music.

That's about it apart from dabbling in other instruments.
Andalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #54
Hail
kill both bass players

it's more a lifestyle choice to play the bass guitar than anything, i think

you become quite a fiend for drugs and booze after you come to terms with it

if you ever manage to, at least. maybe you just become a fiend for drugs and booze

who knows, maybe that'll just remain one of many existential quandaries to burden existence for eons to come

not that anybody'll care cause they don't play bass

****in posers
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #55
jrenkert

Guitar: Pretty good at it, or at least people like to listen to me.

Voice (the hardest instrument): Trained in classical music, bass register. Haven't been treating my voice very well as of late but I'd say I can hold my own.

Piano: Not very good at...at all, passed the college proficiency exam by the skin of my teeth and I can bang out stuff if I absolutely have to, but its pretty icky.

Bass: I can pass but barely and my friend yells at me because I like to use a pick.

Mandolin: I can comp pretty well on but soloing isn't quite there.

Blues Xylophone: Pretty damn awesome at

Aux percussion: As a music teacher you gotta learn it alll
Old 01-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #56
crispykids

I can play drums and guitar on a performance level but i can do novice stuff on violin, piano and random stringed instruments
crispykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:28 PM   #57
AWACS
I want all of the things

Performance level: trumpet, guitar, vocals.

Not so great: cello, drums, bass.

What I own for shiggles: ocarina, piano, mandolin.

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #58
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...

Guitar - main and best - been playing for nearly 6 years. I like playing Buckethead, Steve Vai etc.
Drums and piano - novice at both, but I'm a better drummer than pianist.

Twitter
Youtube
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Woffelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #59
TrumpetPlayer!

I've been playing the trumpet longer than any instrument and I've got some decent chops on it. I'm currently learning the trombone a little bit, just for kicks really.

I'd put myself somewhere between novice and proficient on guitar. I've been playing for a little over a year.

I'm decent at piano; that is, I can hammer our chords and play some simple tunes.

I dabble in harmonica.

I play the tambourine quite well, if I do say so myself.

I am a (self-proclaimed) whistling virtuoso.

I can play "Hot Cross Buns" and "Ode to Joy" on the recorder (3rd grade music class served me well!).
TrumpetPlayer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #60
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle

... Am I the only violist here?

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
show
Mister A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: