Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #41
Spwee1494
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by godgrinder
I had a TS7 and it was somewhat useable as well. But might as well just get the Joyo TS clone like Dave Mc said, those things are actually fairly decent.

I saw Iron Lung last week and the guitarist was using some Marshall rack thing, looks like the 9004 since it was quite shallow.


http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-Ultimate...s/dp/B005M0CK9M
one of these?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessnick
but my fav tech deathcore band is actually emmure. i'd never be able to play **** like that in a million years seriously.
Spwee1494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 AM   #42
godgrinder
Registered User
 
godgrinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spwee1494


That's a clone of the Fulltone OCD, could do the job as well, it has more volume/gain than the Tubescreamer. I have an OCD and I like it more than Tubescreamers for boost.

This one is the Tubescreamer clone:
http://www.amazon.com/Joyo-JF-01-Vi.../ref=pd_cp_MI_0
__________________
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
godgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #43
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
^ funnily enough i prefer the tubescreamer as a boost- the joyo ocd clone doesn't cut the bass enough for my liking. though the joyo one doesn't have masses of level on tap (though i only use mine as a lead boost, i use a dano timmy clone for my "always on" boost).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 PM   #44
godgrinder
Registered User
 
godgrinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
though the joyo one doesn't have masses of level on tap


Interesting, so they are not exact clones? Haven't actually tried the Joyo one, I only have the Fulltone one.

I always prefer OD/boost pedals with lots of volume since the first 2 amps I bought (the Holden and the JCM800) are either a clean amp or on the mid/low gain side so I need to slam them pretty hard at the front. Had a TS7 and borrowed my mate's Maxon OD808 and those are not enough for me gain wise...
__________________
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
godgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #45
qvplite
UG Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
My recommendation: VOX NT50. Replace the V1 12AX7 with a Mesa or Tung-Sol; then get rid of the horrible EL34's that come stock with the thing and put in some Ruby Tubes or Mullards.

My NT50 is sounding incredible right now going through my 1960A JCM900, and I play the same genre as you my friend. A lot of hard, deep rock stuff where I need complete saturation, but also clarity of each string throughout all the rough chords and parts. This does the trick, and the only possible upgrade I could see would be a Mesa Dual Rec.

You can see a picture of my rig in this article I did on the 1960A cab a month or two ago. It'll also teach you how to upgrade the cruddy plastic handles on the side and put on real metal ones for serious stage/road use.

I'd be interested to hear a recording of your 1960A, by the way. Mine has 4x G12T-75's, whereas yours has the V-30's and G12T-100's, which is an interesting combo. When I was at NAMM last weekend I was frothing over their new Creambacks and the Blue Alnicos , which are really awesome. In the meantime, though, the G12T-75's are doing me well.

qvplite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:11 PM   #46
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by godgrinder
Interesting, so they are not exact clones? Haven't actually tried the Joyo one, I only have the Fulltone one.


oh i think it is (or close enough, anyway). It's ages since i've tried a "real" tubescreamer, they may not have tons of level on tap, either

i think my biyang (also a modded clone) had more level on tap, though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 PM   #47
godgrinder
Registered User
 
godgrinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
oh i think it is (or close enough, anyway). It's ages since i've tried a "real" tubescreamer, they may not have tons of level on tap, either

i think my biyang (also a modded clone) had more level on tap, though.


Ah yeah my bad, for some reason I read your post as saying the Joyo OCD doesn't have much level on tap, just realized that you were talking about the Joyo TS
__________________
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
godgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:54 AM   #48
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
yeah i was talking about the tubescreamer clone, sorry
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
We had a guy in the band admit that he liked Nickelback. We immediately started looking for his replacement.


Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:41 AM   #49
BoneAndDream
Registered User
 
BoneAndDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
6505. do eet.

i got mine 2 weeks ago and haven't been happier

i play tech death and melodic death, and a wee bit of core. this thing nails it. I'm sure it would work great in your case
__________________
1997 Ibanez RG550 w/ EMG 81 bridge - C standard
PEAVEY 6505
Mesa Rectifier slant 4x12

Last edited by BoneAndDream : 02-10-2013 at 02:49 AM.
BoneAndDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:22 AM   #50
DeathByDestroyr
not autistic
 
DeathByDestroyr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Minnesota
the 6505 doesn't have a whole lot of "bite" to it. Super-heavy, but not what I think of when I think of "bite".

TS, look into an ASG Hybris! Perfect!
DeathByDestroyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:41 AM   #51
Viban
UG's resident bum
 
Viban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by qvplite
My recommendation: VOX NT50. Replace the V1 12AX7 with a Mesa or Tung-Sol; then get rid of the horrible EL34's that come stock with the thing and put in some Ruby Tubes or Mullards.

My NT50 is sounding incredible right now going through my 1960A JCM900, and I play the same genre as you my friend. A lot of hard, deep rock stuff where I need complete saturation, but also clarity of each string throughout all the rough chords and parts. This does the trick, and the only possible upgrade I could see would be a Mesa Dual Rec.

You can see a picture of my rig in this article I did on the 1960A cab a month or two ago. It'll also teach you how to upgrade the cruddy plastic handles on the side and put on real metal ones for serious stage/road use.

I'd be interested to hear a recording of your 1960A, by the way. Mine has 4x G12T-75's, whereas yours has the V-30's and G12T-100's, which is an interesting combo. When I was at NAMM last weekend I was frothing over their new Creambacks and the Blue Alnicos , which are really awesome. In the meantime, though, the G12T-75's are doing me well.


If I recall correctly, ruby's are just rebrands of different tubes and can be hit or miss. I recommend JJ tubes personally, fair price, and good quality.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Bastards.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #52
Spwee1494
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maryland
http://ivoryprince.tumblr.com/image/43766614322
Just got it and its all good to go! I sample the sound of it sometime this weekend for you guys to hear. spent less then a grand for this whole setup (minus the guitar, of course)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessnick
but my fav tech deathcore band is actually emmure. i'd never be able to play **** like that in a million years seriously.
Spwee1494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:16 PM   #53
667
The Neighbor of the Beast
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boston
This is so odd. Starting out with a cab and buying head to match.

It's like you bought a leather jacket and now you need a motorcycle to go with it.

Last edited by 667 : 02-22-2013 at 11:22 PM.
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:29 PM   #54
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y
 
311ZOSOVHJH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Offline
tonz in dem cabs bitch
__________________
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #55
667
The Neighbor of the Beast
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
tonz in dem cabs bitch


Got chon zpeks? What impenitence Ohmz?
667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:44 AM   #56
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer
 
Maineguitarist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Take a guess...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
You kids and your crazy pseudo-genres

This.
I've never heard of power violence before. If you could provide a band name it would be helpful. Please?
__________________
My Name is Cameron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.



Last edited by Maineguitarist : 02-23-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Maineguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:23 AM   #57
Deadpool_25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguitarist
This.
I've never heard of power violence before. If you could provide a band name it would be helpful. Please?


See page 1
__________________
Guitars
- Fender John Mayer Strat
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #58
Spwee1494
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguitarist
This.
I've never heard of power violence before. If you could provide a band name it would be helpful. Please?


just realized youtube broke a few of the vids. here's some stuff.





Power violence bands to look at to start:
Classics: Infest, Despise You, No Comment.
Modern: Get Destroyed, Magrudergrind, Water Torture

Power violence simplified: fast as balls hardcore that stops on a dime and tempo changes are sporadic. Usually insanely distorted bass guitar (if there even is one) and generally songs are wayyyyy short. Noisy, lots of bite and pissed off. Also riffs. Riffs everywhere.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessnick
but my fav tech deathcore band is actually emmure. i'd never be able to play **** like that in a million years seriously.
Spwee1494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #59
Spwee1494
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Maryland
http://sleepdisorderpv.bandcamp.com...astic-existence

i know a few of you asked to hear this thing, so here you go.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessnick
but my fav tech deathcore band is actually emmure. i'd never be able to play **** like that in a million years seriously.
Spwee1494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #60
Viban
UG's resident bum
 
Viban's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spwee1494
http://sleepdisorderpv.bandcamp.com...astic-existence

i know a few of you asked to hear this thing, so here you go.

Where the hell are all of your mids boy?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
Bastards.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:54 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.