Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
AppleFanatic

Smile Buying 1st Guitar, Advice? :)

Hi all,

Never posted on these forums but they've been a big help so far. I'm looking at buying my first guitar to learn on, and have decided on an electric for their flexibility and ease of play. Was hoping for some advice on what guitar/amp to buy?

Budget: About $200 with an amp

Favorite Artists: Radiohead, New Order, The Strokes, Broken Social Scene, Japandroids, etc...

Pickups: From what I've gathered, single coils will best suit my playing style, but I have considered P90's as well.

New or Used: Whichever gets me the best sound at my budget.

Current Gear: Nada. I play a little electric piano, that's about it.

Currently I'm looking at:

Peavey Generation EXP ($140): abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/msg/3481636829.html

Yamaha Pacifica PAC112J ($150 w/Peavey Rage 158 Amp): fraservalley.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-Guitar-set-for-sale-Great-condition-W0QQAdIdZ311438897

Ibanez SA Series ($200 w/ Fender Frontman 25R Amp): vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/msg/3488280837.html

Les Paul Special 1 w/P90s: guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-I-P90-Electric-Guitar-107274854-i2101231.gc

Amp:

Peavey Solo 15w: abbotsford.en.craigslist.ca/msd/3443710716.html

Fender Frontman 10w: long-mcquade.com/products/6907/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Fender_Musical_Instruments/Frontman_10G.htm

Acoustic lead 20w: guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-Lead-Guitar-Series-G20-20W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp-106702475-i1909600.gc

What would you guys say is the best choice for a beginner player with no guitar experience, who's just looking at playing some basic songs in his bedroom? I'd like something flexible enough that it can handle most of the songs I throw at it, and durable enough that it will last me a few years with proper care. Currently I'm leaning towards the peavey generation, given that it has good reviews online and it's closest to me, plus I really like the way it looks.

What do you think? Any advice would be much appreciated
AppleFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
hopespaul
Late-night user

why don't you get a starter pack? it will include everything you need - cable, amp, strap, guitar, etc. I always recommend the yamaha starter pack - the guitar has a humbucker and two single coils, and it fits right in your budget.

At this level, most guitars will be pretty much the same quality - pick one that you think looks best.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:07 PM   #3
Heideck

the offer with the Ibanez SA is a good deal if everything is in good shape

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Heideck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
Raster
~.~

From that list there, played one of those pacifica from a friend and it seemed ok, and always heard that people buying that guitar were always pleased with it.
I'd say to avoid those low priced fender squier starter packs, they are a big pile of poop.
Regarding amps, roland cube 15, peavey vypr should be fine, you can find many used and new for a cheap price.
Raster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
ghobby

Out of those, either the ibanez or the yamaha. Lower end epis have trouble staying in tune.
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
&baconstrips

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFanatic
Broken Social Scene, Japandroids

fuck yea!

I would go for the Yamaha/Peavey setup and then start saving for a better amp right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopespaul
why don't you get a starter pack? it will include everything you need - cable, amp, strap, guitar, etc. I always recommend the yamaha starter pack - the guitar has a humbucker and two single coils, and it fits right in your budget.

At this level, most guitars will be pretty much the same quality - pick one that you think looks best.

Nope
Old 12-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #7
peskypesky

Squier Strat and a Fender Mustang II
peskypesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #8
AppleFanatic

Big thanks for all the feedback!

I think I am going to go with the Ibanez if the seller accepts my offer, or the Yamaha if otherwise. They both have excellent reviews and come with most of what I need, and should sound better than a lot of entry levels of guitars. If I really like playing I will save up for a new guitar or at least some upgrades

Quote:

I had considered this, but from all I have read these kits get a pretty bad rap, and the only ones available in my area are the fender ones unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by &baconstrips
Quote:
Broken Social Scene, Japandroids,
fuck yea!

I just discovered Celebration Rock - Such a fantastic album Can't wait to start playing it myself!

Thanks again to all those who replied, will post back soon with a pic of the new gear
AppleFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
Maximus_2005

Another vote for the Yamaha. Do you have to get the fender frontman if u buy the Ibanez? They are a pretty bad amp. You could probably do better.

Quote:
"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Maximus_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
tybacca60

I'd look to buy a used 50 model from ESP Ltd...then buy a used 30 watt peavey vypyr.If you go under used gear at guitar center,or look on ebay these go for around 100$ apiece all day.
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
tybacca60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
mikeYekim
Curses & Cranberries!!

Quote:

I second this, a starter pack would do you wonders. Those little accessories add up, and it's nice to have everything bundled up for you. I wish I had gotten one when I started out. You can use that starter amp until you've gotten all your basics down, then maybe buy a cheap modelling amp in the future, I owned a Roland Cube and I vouch for them any day.

The Legion
mikeYekim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #12
redshift21

If you decide to buy used then I suggest you take someone with you who knows about guitars and knows what to look for, I've been to see some guitars that were described as hardly played but should have been described as hardly playable, warped necks, broken tuners and screwed electrics, yet the owners still think they should fetch top dollar because the paintwork was "nice", I s**t you not I had one guy who's Ibanez had half the scratch plate screws missing and the other half stripped, the neck pup half hanging out and his name written on the back with permanent marker tell me that he wanted 150 (about $180) for it and wouldn't take any offers because his friend had told him Ibanez were rare, I left and suggested that he look on the net and call me back with an offer, I got it for 25 a week later.

There are bargains to be had but you really want your first guitar to be as trouble free as possible so you can just concentrate on learning to play.
redshift21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #13
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

$200 for an Ibanez SA with an amp seems like a good deal. The Fender Frontman amps aren't the greatest, but for the price you can't really complain. Maybe see if you can get the guitar without the amp to knock the price down.

Use your remaining money to get a used Roland Cube, Vox AD series, Peavey Vypyr or Fender Mustang amp. They have plenty of different sounds and built in effects to play around with.

Bigger is not always better when it comes to amps, especially if you're buying your first. A 5 watt amp with plenty of useful features is a better choice than 25 watts of mediocrity.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 AM   #14
romeozdistress

SAVE YOUR MONEY. that will only you shit you will hate in a month.
Digitech Bad Monkey
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:19 AM   #15
ghobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeozdistress
SAVE YOUR MONEY. that will only you shit you will hate in a month.

WTF does that mean. How high are you, or is that a quote from some bible you bought at a dollar store.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:50 AM   #16
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

...translation... Save your money, Dont buy such cheap shit, you will only hate said cheap shit after a month and regret dropping the amount you dropped on it when for a couple hundred or so more dollars and a little bit more looking around you could have scored a far better deal and some gear that you'd be more likely to add to instead of sell off to buy better shit.
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Squire 20th Anniversary Strat
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
DSL100H coming soon

Last edited by dazza027 : 12-30-2012 at 03:52 AM.
dazza027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #17
ghobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza027
...translation... Save your money, Dont buy such cheap shit, you will only hate said cheap shit after a month and regret dropping the amount you dropped on it when for a couple hundred or so more dollars and a little bit more looking around you could have scored a far better deal and some gear that you'd be more likely to add to instead of sell off to buy better shit.

Your translation I can understand.

That said, a budget is a budget. They've thought about how much they're willing to put into a hobby. Why would you sink a bunch a money into something your trying for the first time. If you find you like it, upgrade no problem, if you find its not your thing you haven't lost as much. If you spend more at first and you don't like it, well chances are your going to lose more on resale. For the budget stated you can get decent used gear that will last for a few years.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #18
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i'm not sure of the wisdom of going used when you're a brand new player. you're not really gonna be able to check the thing out properly (granted, same is true with new, but at least if you spot a problem 6 months down the line with new, you'll still be under warranty).

pacifica 112 combined with a vox mini 3 or da5/roland microcube/fender mini mustang (haven't tried the mustang or da5) is gonna be hard to beat, assuming it's under budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #19
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

There are always people selling used rigs through lack of ability, interest or upgrading. The trick here s to find the a) guitar or b) amp youre looking for and get the deal as cheap as possible. Sure you might end up with either one not being the one youre after but heres where the kicker is, flip the bit you dont like and use the proceeds to buy the one you do want OR another rig. In theory you can get your guitar and amp for nothing if youre savvy. Remember, theres always a bigger sucker than you are right around the next bend. As for new verses old. Youre less likely to lose out on second hand in my opinion because your better able to haggle a decent price. If its shit, then flip it for another one.
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Squire 20th Anniversary Strat
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
DSL100H coming soon
dazza027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #20
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Big thanks for all the feedback!

I think I am going to go with the Ibanez if the seller accepts my offer, or the Yamaha if otherwise. They both have excellent reviews and come with most of what I need, and should sound better than a lot of entry levels of guitars. If I really like playing I will save up for a new guitar or at least some upgrades

I had considered this, but from all I have read these kits get a pretty bad rap, and the only ones available in my area are the fender ones unfortunately.

Good choice. I'd avoid starter packs myself. To me one of the biggest problems with starter packs is the amps they come with - it will sound very tinny and crappy and may discourage you from playing!
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: