Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-29-2012, 06:50 AM   #1
jmaguire

2x12 cab build questions

As the title suggests, I'll be building myself a 2x12 cab over the next little while. I'm pretty confident with the whole thing, I just have a couple of questions regarding it.
Materials
I have nothing laying around to use for the cab, so I'll be buying all of my materials. What sort of wood should I buy? I can get a hold of a high density, high grade particle board pretty easily and cheaply. Would it have any real, noticeable tone disadvantages/advantages as compared to ply. Ply will be really expensive, so will try to avoid it if I can.
Construction
I have read a couple of older forums and it seems that if I do a closed back that I won't need to do any work in terms of acoustic wadding or anything similar. Is this right?
What about sizes and whatnot? I'm pretty sure I want a closed back. It would give me a tighter bass with more clarity and definition, am I right?
Wiring/Speakers
This is the part I'm least certain with. The amp I am looking at probably buying (Mesa Single Rec) has two 4-Ohm and an 8-Ohm inputs. I'd also like to eventually run a second 2x12 cab with this one, when I get the money, so I'd be using the two 40hm inputs, yeah? Or could I put one in the 8ohm and a second in one of the 4ohm?. But until I get that, I'd like to run the cab with my Jet City 2112rc. It has two 8ohm inputs and a 16ohm.
Is there any way I can run the one cab with both amps (at different times, not trying to run both amps in the same cab at once. Just thought it would be best I clear that up ) while still having the option of running two cabs off the Mesa?

Sorry about the wall of text. Was less sure about the whole thing than I originally thought Any help would be appreciated, even you can only answer some of my questions.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
JCGGUITARS

For materials, the only thing bad about particle board that i know is that if it comes in contact with water, your cab is a goner. I use 3/4 or 1/2" ply wood.

The construction of the back: I've been told that closed backs shouldnt be used on stage, just a house amp or jamming amp.

The wiring. I'll mess your project up if i tell you how to wire. im still not sure how i got my cabs working myself.

good luck

Current Projects: The Squid
Ibanez RG Prototype
2x12 Cab Build (Finished)

Line 6 Full Stack Amp Build (Finished)
FEAR MY EPICNESS

JCGGUITARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Caseywtf

I've built a lot of professional quality speakers...
Use 3/4 inch mdf for the cabinet
The size (volume) of the cabinet will be determined by the speaker (driver) you use.
I've found the best place to get speakers from is www.madisound.com they can also help with speaker selection
Good luck
Caseywtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Robbgnarly

I highly sugest you spend the money and use Birch plywood. MDF is just not very durable Like has already been pointed out it falls apart when it gets wet.

^^ he is building a Guitar cab not a PA cab I didn't see any guitar speakers on that site
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Last edited by Robbgnarly : 12-29-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Apologies for the lack of a wall of text, but check out my 2x12 cab build (in sig), should give you some pointers. Mine turned out fantastically well, I love it and it sounds immense.
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
Caseywtf

Depends upon usage. If cab will not be out in the elements use mdf, otherwise use plywood as suggested.
I guarantee that madisound will have a speaker you can use.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Caseywtf

Old 12-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #8
whoomit

Where did you get the idea that plywood is expensive? It's like, less than 20 for a sheet

Plywood will be more forgiving when introduced to moisture, and also it's more stable. I used finger joints on my cab for extra strength. If you have a dovetail jig and router then go for that.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseywtf

I didn't see that Eminence Delta series speakers. Yes they will work, but I would look at somethine else (I have never really like the Delta speakers )

The Eminence Legend V12's are a great speaker and they work well with Soldano amps (they are stock in some Soldano cabs) The Red Coat and Red Whit and Blues series also have some good speakers to choose from.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 12-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #10
sytharnia1560
I hate sanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I highly sugest you spend the money and use Birch plywood. MDF is just not very durable Like has already been pointed out it falls apart when it gets wet.

this all day long...but if you want to use your particle then that is better than mdf
sytharnia1560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:47 AM   #11
jmaguire

I'm not entirely sure why the ply is more expensive. My Dad works at a company that builds holiday cabins so he is aware of prices and stuff. He told me that it would be much cheaper for me to buy a high strength particle board than a sheet of 18mm ply. He said the particle board would be $30-$40 instead of the $100+ of the ply. I'm only going off what he's said.
Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas to the speakers and wiring? What ohm speakers? How do I wire it?
I know how to solder and have am pretty sure ho to wire it up. Just not sure how to do it so it'll work the way I want.
Thanks for your help so far.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:55 AM   #12
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Personally I would so 8 ohm. That way if you have another 8 ohm cab you run them both at 4 ohm.

What style of music do you play? That will help us with the speaker suggestions. Also GG&A is a lot faster moving if you make a post over there you will get a wider variety of opinions.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #13
jmaguire

So two 16 ohm speakers wired in parallel? You mean an 8 ohm cab, yeah?

I've got another thread over in GG&A asking for speaker suggestions. Just thought here would be the place to ask about the construction and whatnot.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...=1#post30818688
That's the other thread.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaguire
I'm not entirely sure why the ply is more expensive. My Dad works at a company that builds holiday cabins so he is aware of prices and stuff. He told me that it would be much cheaper for me to buy a high strength particle board than a sheet of 18mm ply. He said the particle board would be $30-$40 instead of the $100+ of the ply. I'm only going off what he's said.
Does anyone have any suggestions/ideas to the speakers and wiring? What ohm speakers? How do I wire it?
I know how to solder and have am pretty sure ho to wire it up. Just not sure how to do it so it'll work the way I want.
Thanks for your help so far.

Where exactly do you live where plywood is over $100 a sheet?
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
Where exactly do you live where plywood is over $100 a sheet?

+1 thast seems unbelievable for prices.

I know in the US a sheet of 3/4" Birch is ~$55, Partical board is ~$10

Tell us where you live and maybe we can find you a good used cab that will be cheaper and built better.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 12-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #16
jmaguire

North West NSW, Australia.

Rate This Thread: