Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
marcelaguiar

How High Can It Go?

How far can you up-tune a guitar before the strings break? A whole step? Two whole steps? I figure I won't be doing any string bending if i tune it up...
marcelaguiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
whoomit

Really depends on the particular guitar and the strings that are on it...

I've gone a step up before (on electric) though, never tried higher.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

i've seen a snapped off headstock or 2 from people trying that.
if i remember correctly, i've read about a pedal or program that will change the pitch of your guitar without having to potentially damage your axe. if you have an electric acoustic, i would highly recommend using that. i'll search aroound a bit and see if i can find it again, unless someone else here knows what i'm referring to.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
sk8board3r
Just call me Gary

The Digitech Whammy and other similar pedals will do that. Listen to David Gilmours 'Marooned' to hear it in use. TS, try it and find out for yourself !
BOSS
Deltalab
Orange
Hughs & Kettner

https://soundcloud.com/gary-vanluling
Check out some of my home stuff !
UX1 & Ez Drummer

(listen to the Ode to Tarantino!)
sk8board3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
Kapoc

Whats wrong with using a Capo?
Kapoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Either use a capo or find an octave pedal that plays an octave up.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
stepchildusmc

now why would we want to do something that makes complete and utter sense???? capo ! hmmppphhh !
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 AM   #8
azrael4h

When I first started, with a Harmony acoustic I got out of a flea market, I did just that (in ignorance), and split the neck right at the joint. I over-tightened the strings I put on. Thankfully, my grandfather also plays guitar and he taught me how to tune the thing. I still had to get another guitar, but as we all know, you always have to get another guitar. Else you won't have enough guitars to fill your closet!
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 AM   #9
Butt Rayge
UG Resident

I've used open tunings before that required tuning strings a tone or semiton up, but I wouldn't go further than that. Especially not on a steel string acoustic.

If you're using .012's on a steel string, which is "standard" (in the same way .010's on electric is "standard") then I wouldn't really tune up at all. If you were using a lower gauge you could try it, but don't go more than a tone above.
Butt Rayge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
Elderer
UG Member

Ive tuned B to D. Went a little sharp on D then the string snapped.
Elderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #11
tom183

Depends on the guitar and the strings. I can't recall ever going beyond 3 semitones.
tom183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #12
Captaincranky

Actually, with no feedback from the TS, I'm wondering why people are still posting to this thread.

Oh well, I'm not going to let that stop me either.

The topic does beg the question, "why the heck would you want to do that anyway"?

There's a circular sort of answer to the question, "which key is higher, G, or C". Well, depending on who is singing, either one.

With that said, the G-3 octave string of a 12 string is intended to be tuned to G-4. (3rd fret, e-1 of a 6 string in E standard tuning). If you're a piano person, that's G above middle C.

I expect a full electric set, based on a .008 e-1 should make 3 semitones, Or what you could loosely "G standard". Am I sure, no.

This GHS set: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...-guitar-strings is gauged from .008 to .038. I personally can't picture wanting to listen to this set on an acoustic, but they likely would make the tuning you're asking about. Come to think of it, the OP never referred to an acoustic guitar anyway.

Lacking any further input from TS, I'm thinking this may have been a rhetorical question anyway. Something along the lines of, "why is there air", or "does the stork really bring babies".

Last edited by Captaincranky : 01-02-2013 at 01:37 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #13
alangton1997

The highest tension tuning that I have ever used would be either Open E - (Lowest to highest) ebeg#be and open A - (lowest to highest) eaeac#e
alangton1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:11 AM   #14
marcelaguiar

Im sorry for not responding earlier, I totally forgot I posted this. I need to check in the setting if there is a way to get email responses after getting a response on here. I have a capo. I was just curious as to how much punishment a guitar could take. Also I have a irrational fear of string snapping.
marcelaguiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelaguiar
Im sorry for not responding earlier, I totally forgot I posted this. I need to check in the setting if there is a way to get email responses after getting a response on here. I have a capo. I was just curious as to how much punishment a guitar could take. Also I have a irrational fear of string snapping.
That's understandable, if it weren't for the emails it generates, I'd have gladly forgotten about it myself.

OTOH, what is a purer and more gratifying pursuit than worthless academia.. Knowledge for its own sake, is its own reward.

In the meantime, why not buy a set of acoustic mediums and one of them thar battery powered peg winders, and let us know what you come up with...
Old 01-31-2013, 12:58 PM   #16
mymartind35
Guitarist/Vocalist

I never tune up. When I play in open "E", I tune to open "D" and capo on the 2nd fret. It feels a LOT better also. The amount of pressure I put on the neck for any tuning is less. I tune down and capo.
Ovation Pro Series 1773AX Classical
Takamine EG334C Natural
Takamine G406S-VS New Yorker
(also the occasional G.A.S. guitar)
mymartind35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
Dan477

Assuming you have a full size acoustic steel guitar, with regular strings (12-54) probably no more than a fourth with most strings. Some strings strings are stronger. Low E you could reach C# maybe even D. The highest note on a standard 25.5 scale you can tune an open string is G#4, the fourth fret of the hi e,although you may have a shot of reaching A 440, but you will have no chance of reaching G# if the string is old.

Last edited by Dan477 : 04-29-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Dan477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #18
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan477
Assuming you have a full size acoustic steel guitar, with regular strings (12-54) probably no more than a fourth with most strings. Some strings strings are stronger. Low E you could reach C# maybe even D. The highest note on a standard 25.5 scale you can tune an open string is G#4, the fourth fret of the hi e,although you may have a shot of reaching A 440, but you will have no chance of reaching G# if the string is old.
Glad to see someone still putting some careful thought into this thread, especially since today is its 4 month anniversary.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #19
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Happy 4 month "anniversary!"

I personally have guitars tuned to NST, which is CGDAEG. Originally, Robert Fripp intended NST to be perfect fifths, and tried it that way for a while, but found that the high string kept breaking.

I've personally seen gauges as light as 006, and someone told me of octave4plus, a site that sells gauges as light as 004s, any of which could let you get even higher tunings.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 04-29-2013 at 08:39 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
rotoball95

I've experimented with this before. On my friend's squier mini, the high E got to a B before snapping, so did the B string. The G got to an A, the D got an octave higher, the A, an octave higher, and the low E, a G. On my 25.5 inch scale acoustic, the low E can usually get an octave and a step up, the A can get to a D, D gets to G, G gets to B, B gets to G or G#, and the high E will sometimes get to an A. On my electric, my plain steel .024 string made it an octave and a half step. By the time it was about to break, I could barely move the tune peg anymore. This was about 2 years ago. I used to do this experiment a lot...
rotoball95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: