Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

Build 2 - partcaster tele (and she needs a name))

So finally, getting round to the end of my second build.

It all started with this body which I picked up on ebay for a great price about 2 years ago, determined that I'd do something with it.

show

The body is alder, and came finished. It has a couple of cracks in the finish but they're not really noticable and I'm gonna say it adds character.

Picked up a pickguard soon after and gave it a paper mache inspired look.

show

That was an older photo and it has since been given a few coats of gloss so it looks and feels better.

Then about a year ago came the neck. Maple with rosewood board.

show

And it's been sitting like that til I've finally been able to put the money into it. Ordered everything else that I need from GFS yesterday and with any luck it should arrive pretty soon and I should be able to get her finished.

The one thing I need is a name, which will be put on the headstock. I'm thinking Penelope or Clementine but I'm open to suggestion.

Progress might be slow but I'll keep this updated as I go.

Last edited by homeless-john : 12-29-2012 at 06:50 PM.
homeless-john is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Educated420

+1 for the paper mache fill!
I really dig the way you accented the certain words, highly respectable creativity my friend. You plan to leave the body white, correct? Cuz i feel like the white suits it. Plus, her name should definitely be a more intelligent name. I dig Penelope, hahaha
Educated420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
whoomit

Jude!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educated420
+1 for the paper mache fill!
I really dig the way you accented the certain words, highly respectable creativity my friend. You plan to leave the body white, correct? Cuz i feel like the white suits it. Plus, her name should definitely be a more intelligent name. I dig Penelope, hahaha

Thank you!

Also, cheers for the name suggestion but I reckon I'll go with Clementine.

I do like Penelope, but if I ever get round to doing a third build, it's definitely going to be muscle car inspired so I figure muscle car, racing, Wacky Races, Penelope Pitstop, Penelope. Make sense to me.

And I do like Jude but I can't not associate that with the Beatles. Not that that is an entirely bad thing or anything.

I need help with deciding how to finish the neck. I don't know much about this. I was just gonna go with polyurethane which worked well enough on my last guitar, but what's the thought on oil finishes? Amy advantages or problems or personal experiences?
Old 01-04-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless-john
I was just gonna go with polyurethane which worked well enough on my last guitar, but what's the thought on oil finishes? Amy advantages or problems or personal experiences?

I have a 7 string with a Tru Oil finish on the neck (and body for that matter) and it feels great. Very smooth, very easy to play and doesn't get sticky under sweaty hands like a poly finish might.

7/8 coats, 24 hours between each with very light wet and dry paper/0000 wire wool on the first 5-6 coats and you will have a mighty fine finish that looks great, feels great and is pretty darn hard wearing.
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
kiaba94

i dont remember who said it, however usuing steel wool will leave little steel particles in the grain. let me find the thread i saw it in.

EDIT:

here is that thread
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1575579

Last edited by kiaba94 : 01-04-2013 at 11:49 AM.
kiaba94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiaba94
i dont remember who said it, however usuing steel wool will leave little steel particles in the grain. let me find the thread i saw it in.

EDIT:

here is that thread
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1575579

It can do yes, so extreme care is necessary if you decide to use it. Really, if you use good quality wet and dry paper, you shouldn't need steel wool.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

Thanks for the advice guys!

Looking online, a lot of guides don't mention steel wool as a necessity so I'll probably just use sandpaper. Already got lots of pretty quality stuff in the house anyway.

Only problem is, will it still be possible to put a clear transfer on the headstock? Like, will it stick over the tru oil and will tru oil still be able to go over it?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Telecaster7
Call me Leon

Partscasters are the funnest things to put together, and yours looks sick dude!
Telecaster7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecaster7
Partscasters are the funnest things to put together, and yours looks sick dude!

Cheers!

The package with everything else was last tracked at a sorting facility in New York, so it might be a while still. Even when I get the parts, it's gonna a bit to get it assembled. I half assed some aspects of my last build and I don't want to do any of that this time.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless-john

Only problem is, will it still be possible to put a clear transfer on the headstock? Like, will it stick over the tru oil and will tru oil still be able to go over it?

It'll be fine mate, just put the waterside decal on the bare finished wood then apply oil over it once dry. Just gotta remember not to sand or rub on that area, otherwise you will probably feck it up.

Be fine once all done though
Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

My GFS order still hasn't arrived. It was last tracked as clearing customs in the UK on the 4th but I haven't heard anything since. Starting to worry to be honest. If worst comes to worst, it's insured but it's getting annoying.

Got some tru oil in though and I'm going ahead with the neck. Preparing it tonight and I'll start the fiest coats tomorrow. I'll have some progress pictures for when I name it I reckon.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

And she has a name!

Sorry that it's not the best quality image.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:08 PM   #14
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler

Never mind the quality, feel the width!

Love the pick guard.

Next time maybe try Axetec or Axes-R-Us.

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

So, after waiting pretty much an entire month for my order from GFS to clear fucking customs, they give me the wrong tailpiece.

I imagine that I'm now gonna have to send it back which will take ages to process and wait even longer for them to send the item they should have fucking sent in the first place.

I don't like to complain but fucking hell.

Last edited by homeless-john : 01-25-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

Images incoming, this time resized to a non-ridiculous size.

The neck, finished with tru-oil. It's hard to tell from the picture but I think it turned out pretty good. Smooth as hell, glossy and it feels great.

Some shots of the assorted hardware.

A couple of lovely lipstick pickups.

And the roller part of the Bigsby clone bridge.

As mentioned in my previous post, I got the wrong tremolo. Thankfully, GFS acted really quick to sort it out and the correct one should be posted soon. Also, I get to keep the tremolo they sent. I've not really got any use for it myself, so if anyone is interested give me a shout. Here it is.

Also, I'm gonna need to make the pickup slot in the pickguard bigger. What's the best way to do this without ****ing up the newspaper layer?

Last edited by homeless-john : 01-26-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #17
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

Not sure if anyone is paying attention to this but I'm on the home stretch of this build. The replacement tremolo is in, the pickguard has been modded to fit the pickup and all pilot holes have been drilled.

I should have some pics up later today but I've got a quick question first.

If my neckplate is one of the ultra thick chrome ones (so no plastic between the neckplate and the body) will I be able to run the ground wire to it?
Old 02-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
whoomit

For the pickguard I'd use a sharp blade to score an outline through the newspaper before working on it.

Grounding to the neckplate doesn't work, because you don't touch the neckplate the whole time you're playing. Ground wires need to go to the bridge so that when you touch the strings you complete the circuit or whatever.

The beauty with Tele bridges is that the screws connect to that brass plate on the pickup and do most of the work for you
Old 02-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
For the pickguard I'd use a sharp blade to score an outline through the newspaper before working on it.

Grounding to the neckplate doesn't work, because you don't touch the neckplate the whole time you're playing. Ground wires need to go to the bridge so that when you touch the strings you complete the circuit or whatever.

The beauty with Tele bridges is that the screws connect to that brass plate on the pickup and do most of the work for you

I ended up just sanding/filing the pickguard. It turned out a little ragedy but not so much that it looks bad.

And even with that, would it still be necessary for me to attach the ground wire from the pot to the bridge and should I solder it or is the wire pressing against the bridge enough?

I suck so bad at wiring.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #20
whoomit

You should just need to solder a wire between the back of each pot.

The jack should ground to the back of a pot, and both picups should too.

That should be everything, because the screws take the current through from the pickup blate to the bridge.

I suck at wiring too, so I really hope I'm remembering this correctly

Rate This Thread: