Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 AM   #1
JoeyDoomRiff666

Talking Sludge/Doom Amps for Budget guitarists or Paid ones

I was wondering if there were any good amps for Sludge metal or Doom Metal for a guitarist on a budget. I can save up too so price range dosent matter much. I was thinking Peavey Valveking or Blackstar Series One. Thanks!

Guitars: Epiphone G-400 w/ Lace Drop and Gains(Bridge) & Blue-Gold Dually(Neck)
Amplifiers: Bugera 6262 head w/ Mesa Oversized Recto 4x12 Cab
Effects: Ibanez TS808, Dunlop JC95, Electro-Harmonix Micro POG, MXR KFK-1
Tuned To Drop B and Drop A.
JoeyDoomRiff666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Where are you located? There is a pretty massive gap between the ValveKing and the S1.

When I think of that stuff, I think of Orange. Thunderverb ideally. You can also get there with a Mesa Dual Rectifier (maybe even a Single), or a Marshall JCM800 (or similar).

Though you should be able to get a good tone for that with your Bugera. Crank the bass and mids, turn down the treble...

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Ibanez RG520QS
Line 6 POD HD
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
Perverockstar69

Laney AOR

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #4
fender

dime d100 amp which is basically clone of mid 80s randall rg100es amp. Kirk from crowbar/down endorses these. He just boosts it with a metal zone volume on full eq knobs on noon and gain at 0. I've tried his settings but i seem to favor more mids on amp and more treble and less presence. I recommend not to use the boost button but to boost with like overdrive pedal.

forgot to mention i got this for $250 so pretty cheap new about going rate for used rg100es
fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
JoeyDoomRiff666

I'm in houston. And is that Dime amp solid state out tube?
JoeyDoomRiff666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
fender

its full solid state and imo based off one of the best designs. Some people hate the fact that when you hit the boost button on the amp it drops volume but i think it sounds better with boost off and using a overdrive/distortion to boost it.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
fender

here is the link for $250 at guitar center

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dime-Am...801-i1503660.gc

I'm pairing it with a newer company studio 7 oversized 2x12 with higher wattage vintage 30ish speakers handles 400watts got a repackaged one for $159.99 shipped

http://www.onlyfactorydirect.com/p-...io-7-s7212.aspx
Old 12-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fender
dime d100 amp which is basically clone of mid 80s randall rg100es amp. Kirk from crowbar/down endorses these. He just boosts it with a metal zone volume on full eq knobs on noon and gain at 0. I've tried his settings but i seem to favor more mids on amp and more treble and less presence. I recommend not to use the boost button but to boost with like overdrive pedal.

forgot to mention i got this for $250 so pretty cheap new about going rate for used rg100es

They had them on sale for $250 because they weren't selling. Its an SS amp for sure. I don't think its what I would call a "doom" amp.

Offworld had some good suggestions.

TS- what is your budget?
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
fender

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
They had them on sale for $250 because they weren't selling. Its an SS amp for sure. I don't think its what I would call a "doom" amp.

Offworld had some good suggestions.

TS- what is your budget?

what is crowbar considered then? he has toured with these amps if it works for him plus i know other doom bands that use rg100es which this amp is a clone of
Old 12-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
what is crowbar considered then? he has toured with these amps if it works for him plus i know other doom bands that use rg100es which this amp is a clone of

Lots of people endorse gear they don't use.

Lets hear this guys budget and then try to see what is available.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
fender

this guys band opened for crowbar he plays through couple amps think 2 of them are rg100es
Old 12-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
fender

Quote:
Lots of people endorse gear they don't use.

Lets hear this guys budget and then try to see what is available.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30274005@N05/5232022117/
Old 12-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #13
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:

Lets hear the guys budget.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #14
iwannabesedated
UG's King Sombra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perverockstar69
Laney AOR

This so very much.
iwannabesedated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #15
fender

Quote:

Lets hear the guys budget.

lol you kill me seriously the dime amp is like straight up clone of rg100es it is well documented that kirk uses these amps. I'm sure he is getting tired of taking 25 year old amps out on the road with them when he can be taking brand new ones that sound exactly alike.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #16
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
lol you kill me seriously the dime amp is like straight up clone of rg100es it is well documented that kirk uses these amps. I'm sure he is getting tired of taking 25 year old amps out on the road with them when he can be taking brand new ones that sound exactly alike.

You kill me. Lay off the smack. Wait for the OPs budget. If he has $250 bucks for a head well then guess what the Dime/RG100es would fit.

Now if his budget is more maybe we can find him something better.

And AOR is also a great suggestion.

Last edited by R45VT : 12-30-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #17
fender

Quote:
You kill me. Lay off the smack. Wait for the OPs budget. If he has $250 bucks for a head well then guess what the Dime/RG100es would fit.

Now if his budget it more maybe we can find him something better.

he uses a bugera 6262 and a epiphone guitar i'm guessing 250 sounds great. I get so tired of all the solid state hate on the internet. Tubes are not always the answer
Old 12-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #18
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
he uses a bugera 6262 and a epiphone guitar i'm guessing 250 sounds great. I get so tired of all the solid state hate on the internet. Tubes are not always the answer

No, tubes are not always the answer.

And the race doesn't always go to the swiftest, nor the battle to the strongest.

But that's the way to bet it anyhow....

If you're tired of SS hate on the net go out and talk to a few musicians, I'm sure you can find some better hate in person.

Last edited by Arby911 : 12-30-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Arby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:39 PM   #19
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Nice Arby.

And Fender I have no hate for the RG100/Dime. Not sure where you got that from. There is more than one answer to what will fit the TS best, and that answer has something to do with his budget.

My thought process on this is why pay $250 for and amp that he may later try to sell and only $75 bucks for. If he gets a used AOR the value won't drop that much. Better ROI.

Last edited by R45VT : 12-30-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #20
fender

Quote:
Nice Arby.

And Fender I have no hate for the RG100/Dime. Not sure where you got that from. There is more than one answer to what will fit the TS best, and that answer has something to do with his budget.

My thought process on this is why pay $250 for and amp that he may later try to sell and only $75 bucks for. If he gets a used AOR the value won't drop that much. Better ROI.

was a little hard to tell when you posted that pic of the guy using the false wall of amps. I'm just showing proof that the guy in fact does tour with dime amps and or rg100es. I consider crowbar in category of doom i guess. When i hear the word budget i automatically think of whats the cheapest option available. To me that would be a new dime d100 amp or used rg100es.

edit: rg100es still sell for $250 or so on the used market this amp is like straight up clone except it uses a standard footswitch un like the randall. I would imagine just for the fact it has dime's name on it, it should hold value pretty good. Its already dropped in price from when they were first released but i don't see them going lower than $250

Last edited by fender : 12-30-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Rate This Thread: