Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #1
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

vc15 question

if i want to play prog metal on a laney vc15, will a bad monkey overdrive get that distorted?
that is the most distorted i will go.
thanks

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

what do you mean by prog metal?

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

dream theater, symphony x mainly- i won't play a lot of of prog metal at all, but the laney vc15 just doesn't cut it when i want to.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

thanks. yeah a BM might not push it enough (never tried a BM but as far as i'm aware it's a glorified tubescreamer).

a distortion pedal might be a better idea. and/or an EQ.

are you just running through the vc15's internal speaker? have you upgraded it? it's probably not helping either- though you need to be careful you don't spend so much money that you couldn't just get a better amp... but a decent speaker replacement (50 or so) combined with a couple of decent but cheap pedals (similar amount of money for e.g. joyos or mooers) might work the way you want.

for the od i'd probably get something tubescreamery... joyo vintage od, mooer green mile, bad monkey, even a boss sd1 (not exactly the same but similar and you may even prefer it) or daphon od20 (sd1 clone). Take your pick, kind of thing. there are other options too- mooer pure or flex boost might be worth considering, you have a little more eq possibilities with them than with a standard ts clone.

for the distortion the mooer black secret is pretty nice- it's a rat and turbo rat clone. alternatively, joyo does a suhr riot clone and mooer has one coming out soon which would also be worth considering.

for the speaker, it really depends on how much prog metal you're gonna be playing- a better speaker will help pretty much all your tones, but you don't want to be getting one aimed at prog metal if you only play prog metal 5% of the time. you'd be better relying on pedals in that case.

EDIT: where are you based in the world? country will do, don't go posting your address online, lol. your location affects prices and value (not to mention just what's easily available) a lot.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-30-2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

thanks dave- which speaker would you recommend?
i am in the uk-specifically london...

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:

Old 12-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

ah ok, thanks.

the cheapest way to get mooers (in case you're considering them) is probably from either wtfaccessories or ********. they have codes (wtf and Mooer132 respectively) which take 50% off the prices (and the ******** one also works on joyos/daphons in the cart too, though you have to have one mooer there as well) which brings the mooers down to $44 delivered (on ********, anyway, i haven't used wtf but from what i hear they only have free postage on the bundles, not single pedals). Compare that to UK prices of 49 or 59 (worth pointing out that you might get hit with customs/VAT charges, but you also might not, especially if you only buy one pedal.)

I'm not actually that well up on 10" speakers (only one i have experience with is the eminence copperhead, which isn't what you want). I can tell you some that I expect would work, but they'd be more of an educated guess.

what type of tones are you after (as well as the prog metal, i mean)? And roughly how much of each style of music do you play?

Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

thanks dave.
i play 10% blues,10% punk,20% alt rock,10% classic rock,40% 80's metal (metallica etc but mainly things like yngwie, satriani, vai, etc) and 10% prog metal

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:

Old 12-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

ah right, thanks. I'd say that means you want a british-voiced speaker. That narrows things down a good bit (WGS doesn't offer a british-voiced 10" speaker, for example).

eminence offers the ramrod... it's about 55 (plus whatever postage is... not too much since you're in england. Blue aran or lean are probably your best bet for eminence). It'd be worth emailing eminence to check it'd work for what you want- i'm not actually sure if it's more based on a more vintage greenback type of thing or a more modern type of british-voiced speaker like a v30.

Celestion has a bunch... they do a 10" greenback, a 10" vintage 30 (though from what i hear it's not great, that's only hearsay though and pretty much one person's opinion, so take that as it is) and a g10n40 which is meant to be a bit more neutral-sounding, i think. (i suspect the tube 10/10 30 and the like would be cheaping out too much and be little, if any, improvement on the jensen that's already in there.)

tayden does a 10" version of the true brit (which is their greenback-style speaker).

those are the only ones i can think of off-hand which are easy to get hold of and which don't cost way too much. They're all around the 50-60 mark. EDIT: woops, the greenback is 70. To be honest, i'd probably just get the tayden if you wanted something greenbacky. the 10" greenback may be made in england, though (not sure on that)- but still, so are the taydens and it's 10 cheaper. And the g10n-40 is only around 40... but again i'm not sure how much of an improvement it'd be on what you already have. For the sake of 10 you might be better with something which would definitely be an improvement.

As i said, i haven't tried any of those. if it's tight/modern enough for you, i'd be inclined to go for one of the greenback-style things. i really like the taydens i have, IMO they're like heritage celestions for the price of bog standard celestions, but obviously that doesn't mean the 10" true brit is any good, lol. and if the eminence is maybe more like a g12h30, it might be the one to go for. something along the lines of a g12h30 might be the best all-rounder (or maybe better yet, something like a g12-65), except I don't know if anyone makes a 10" speaker along those lines. Most seem to be either greenback-style things (maybe too vintage for what you want, though for me personally it'd be just about ok) or v30-style things (arguably too modern, though again it'd work at a pinch, and either a greenback or v30-style speaker should be better for the tones you want than the stock jensen).

best bet is to email all those speaker companies (don't expect any word back from tayden though- i guess you could email Lean to ask for their advice regarding taydens), they're normally pretty helpful as regards advice. and they've obviously tried their speakers so should know what'd work best.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 12-30-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Rate This Thread: