Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
chatterbox272

How should I split my budget?

Alrighty, Christmas is just gone, I have a birthday coming up a week and a day from now, and I have a new job. All of this adds up to me finally having the money to get the proper gear for me to start recording.

Currently I have my Digitech BP355 MultiFX unit which I have been using as an interface all year, a pair of Yamaha HP-2 headphones, and a pair of TDK ST600 gaming headphones. As you can imagine (and probably hear if you've listened to anything I've mixed) it's not ideal. So, I am coming here for advice on how to best split, lets say $300-$400, into an interface and a set of headphones (mic would be great too if it can be done but it's non-essential, I can continue to wait for that).

I'll point out that I'm in Western Australia, so things cost more here (usually). I'll probably buy from Music Park if possible, otherwise Mega Music. Neither of their sites are good representations of their prices though (especially music park, it's way cheaper in store than they advertise) so best place to check if something fits in my budget would be Kosmic although I don't particularly like the store so if I don't have to go there I won't.

Things I'm currently looking at:
The Presonus bundle - It gets me everything I'm after (including the mic), under budget, and I have one point of failure. If something doesn't work I can take it all back.
Scarlett 2i4 + Sennheiser HD203 + Behringer C1 - Interface is probably what I should get, mic is as cheap as condensers get (I don't want an amp mic, I want a vocal mic) and the headphones are just what came up close to filling the budget.

There is a few others, but it's 12:20AM here and I need to sleep. Not to mention those two are probably the two better options.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

I'd stay away from the Presonus bundle. The Audiobox's are terrible interfaces, especially for direct guitars.

If you want to save money and don't mind going used/old, check eBay for a Saffire 6. I'm not sure what the markets like in Australia for those things but in the US, they're going for $100-$150. That would allow you to up your budget on a mic. The C1 is alright but you'd be much better off with an Audio Technica AT2020 or AT2035. Or, since you now have a job, just save the few bucks.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

I can vouch for the AT2035. Recorded some vocals with mine and considering it was just in some dudes untreated basement without a pop-screen they sounded pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
fastlanestoner
the nxt NEXT Nigel Tufnel

Pot

I'd stay away from anything Presonus or Behringer. The Focusrite and Sennheiser products are good though.

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
fastlanestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 AM   #5
chatterbox272

Cant find anywhere that sells Audio Technica. Music Park doesn't list half their stuff though so I'll see when I go in (considering I'll probably go in at least twice before buying anything, and because they know me they'll let me try pretty much whatever they have an open box for). Speaking of Audio Technica, anyone noticed the AT2020 is on sale at MusiciansFriend? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...nser-microphone makes me wish I was in America
Saffire off eBay won't work, our used market is shit. I just did a quick search and came up with 3 new ones, coming from the US that ended up ~$300 with shipping, no used ones whatsoever. Gumtree never has anything worthwhile either, I've been watching it for months.

Would I be better off spending a little less on the headphones by dropping back to the HD201, then spending more on the mic and getting either the Behringer B1, AKG Perception 120, or Samson CO1? I don't know too much about condenser mics. Or am I maybe trying to push too little money too far? maybe I should leave the mic for a while? I'm only starting out with recording/mixing anyway, so if I need to wait a few months for the mic that's just time I can spend perfecting my Guitar and Bass recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner
I'd stay away from anything Presonus or Behringer. The Focusrite and Sennheiser products are good though.

Any particular reason to avoid Behringer for recording gear or is it just the general "Behringer Sucks" deal? I've only ever had durability problems with the Behringer gear I've used, and I don't think I should be beating up a condenser mic regardless of brand.

Quote:
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 AM   #6
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatterbox272
Any particular reason to avoid Behringer for recording gear or is it just the general "Behringer Sucks" deal? I've only ever had durability problems with the Behringer gear I've used, and I don't think I should be beating up a condenser mic regardless of brand.

Not all Behringer products are shit, you've just gotta know what you're buying. I spent $500 on a pair of Behringer Truth monitors and they are modeled after the Adam A7Xs which are $750 a speaker. After reading a few user reviews including one of a guy who owns a pair of A7Xs, they were well worth the money and I wasn't going to pass them up.

But, not all Behringer products are this way, you just gotta do your research. The C1 is one of those things I've heard good & bad about. Its an okay mic to start with and its great compared to other mics in its price range (like the waste of money MXL 990) but if you step up your price a little, the difference in quality is huge.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
chatterbox272

I'd read mixed things on the C1 too, but if I'm going to get a mic in my budget then I didn't have much choice. Any opinions on getting the HD201s instead then getting one of the slightly more expensive mics?

Quote:

Rate This Thread: