provenance&provenience

"be excellent to each other" is far better
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #23
Jazz Funeral
O.N. Original Nunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777
My main gripe with Mitt Romney is that Mitt isn't a real name. How can I trust a man that doesn't have a real first name to lead the country? Then again, Barack isn't really a real name either. At least Barack sounds like it could be a real first name somewhere, unlike Mitt which could only be a real first name in Baseballland. Baseballland isn't even a real place, which is just as bad as Mitt not being a real first name, but it's even worse because it has three letter Ls in a row. I can't trust a word with three letter Ls in a row, so I certainly can't trust a man that has a first name that could only be a real first name in a place that not only isn't real but also has three letter Ls in a row in it's name.

Therefore I can't trust Mitt Romney.

This. All of it.

Furthermore, "Mitt Romney" is , phonetically, far too similar to "shit on me". Making him all the more dis-likable. "Shit On Me" is also a terrible name for a player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Jazz Funeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #24
ali.guitarkid7
A techno beat

Damn it Blake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
Are you implying that rape and genocide are games?

You just cost your country 50 points by implying that this isn't a game.

Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsmileyface
yeah russia is pretty shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicuh
This is extremely serious.
ali.guitarkid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #25
blake1221
‭‭

Quote:
OP edited.

There we go.

Also, your sig needs moar dotted eighth notes.
blake1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #26
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Wow, this went downhill fast. Of course, it didn't help that Rooster used "Mitt Romney" as an example in the OP. That said, ya'll niggas done fucked up what could've been a decent discussion.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:56 PM   #27
ali.guitarkid7
A techno beat

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Wow, this went downhill fast. Of course, it didn't help that Rooster used "Mitt Romney" as an example in the OP. That said, ya'll niggas done fucked up what could've been a decent discussion.

Whenever someone makes a generalization about morals I just try to apply it to the most extreme examples I can think of. Then if I find the results agreeable, I agree. There can't be a discussion if we agreed on everything.

But yeah, sorry about that.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 12-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #28
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
Whenever someone makes a generalization about morals I just try to apply it to the most extreme examples I can think of. Then if I find the results agreeable, I agree. There can't be a discussion if we agreed on everything.

But yeah, sorry about that.

Well, your examples were somewhat good. But to be fair, if you truly wanted to make a difference in the world, you would "love the sinner" and "hate the sin". No, that doesn't mean you should languish under a dictator or say that a rapist can do whatever he wants (which happens to sometimes be rape), but it does mean that you don't go around spitting bile and fire over the dictator or the rapist. After all, it's one thing to rise up and overthrow a dictator or to work with local law enforcement to ensure that a rapist ends up punished according to just laws; but what does it profit a person to be full of hatred?

Think about it this way (using your dictator example), you could A) hate on the guy OR B) do something to replace him, keeping in mind that treating him in an inhumane way after he's replaced would just bring you down to his level. Which is going to end up with you* being a better individual?

*Not you personally, per se. "You" as in some unspecified person.

All of that said, "the game" business is bullshit. So is "the playa" business. Life isn't a game or about playing a game. Life should be about honesty and integrity and such.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 12-30-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #29
willT08
UG Addict

Quote:
Think about it this way (using your dictator example), you could A) hate on the guy OR B) do something to replace him, keeping in mind that treating him in an inhumane way after he's replaced would just bring you down to his level. Which is going to end up with you* being a better individual?

Why is it impossible to hate someone and be pro-active in your hypothetical? Does hatred lead to laziness?
Old 12-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #30
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by willT08
Why is it impossible to hate someone and be pro-active in your hypothetical? Does hatred lead to laziness?

I'm not saying it's impossible. It's VERY possible. People do it every damn day. But I'm presenting the option that, if you don't hate the "bad person", then you will be better off emotionally and mentally.

Bandcamp

Old 12-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #31
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I think that the phrase has more to do with a role than the actual identifiable person. Most rich people will avoid claiming income to save money from taxation. Just about anyone would do it, even those of high morals.

Let's remember where the phrase came from; low income neighborhoods where the chief way to gain money was drug trafficking and theft. Most of the time those involved only were because it was the only way for them to feed themselves or their families, hence joining gangs. The idea was that you can't hate a guy for doing what it is he has to do, rather, you should hate the situation that force them there. The focus should be on fixing the situation, not blaming those involved.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #32
willT08
UG Addict

Quote:
I'm not saying it's impossible. It's VERY possible. People do it every damn day. But I'm presenting the option that, if you don't hate the "bad person", then you will be better off emotionally and mentally.

I'd question your mental health if you didn't hate Saddam, Bin Laden or Gareth Bale.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:21 PM   #33
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:
I'd question your mental health if you didn't hate Saddam, Bin Laden or Gareth Bale.

Man, you're using the absolute worst examples and biggest stretches in which to discuss this topic. No one's defending dictators, man. Come off it.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:22 PM   #34
willT08
UG Addict

Quote:
Man, you're using the absolute worst examples and biggest stretches in which to discuss this topic. No one's defending dictators, man. Come off it.

They're definitely saying I shouldn't hate them. Which I should. And of course hating Bale is mandatory.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #35
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:

Why? Just because I hate them doesn't mean I condone what they do. I can even actively work against them and NOT hate them. Are their crimes despicable? Yes. But why should I hate them? What good does that personally do me?

Edit:
Also, a minor gripe here...unless you happen to be a mental health professional (and even then I'd wonder if I could trust your opinion, seeing as how you just bandied around the words "question your mental health"), I don't see why I should worry about your opinion on the state of my mental health.

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 12-30-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #36
willT08
UG Addict

Quote:
Why? Just because I hate them doesn't mean I condone what they do. I can even actively work against them and NOT hate them. Are their crimes despicable? Yes. But why should I hate them? What good does that personally do me?

You're actually asking me why you should hate Saddam Hussein?

I don't see why whether it's good for you or not is relevant at all.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #37
MakinLattes
fully retractable

If I were a millionaire I would invest in Gundam. Your entire argument unravels from there.

Why can't a person be detestable for choosing to play such a game? In the end they're doing all the decision making and it's their responsibility, not that of the system.
MakinLattes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 PM   #38
Philip_pepper
UG's Kanye West

Romney was being a little hypocrite.

You can be a little hypocrite if you'd like, since it's part of "da game".

But if people see through you, you ain't goan' win da game. Therefore, the playa will be hated on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatechris
Love you too Philip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus_maximus
I now dub thee UG's Dr Phil. Screw that other guy.

We're a generation of men raised by women. I'm wondering if another woman is really the answer we need.
Philip_pepper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #39
ali.guitarkid7
A techno beat

Quote:
Well, your examples were somewhat good. But to be fair, if you truly wanted to make a difference in the world, you would "love the sinner" and "hate the sin". No, that doesn't mean you should languish under a dictator or say that a rapist can do whatever he wants (which happens to sometimes be rape), but it does mean that you don't go around spitting bile and fire over the dictator or the rapist. After all, it's one thing to rise up and overthrow a dictator or to work with local law enforcement to ensure that a rapist ends up punished according to just laws; but what does it profit a person to be full of hatred?

All of that said, "the game" business is bullshit. So is "the playa" business. Life isn't a game or about playing a game. Life should be about honesty and integrity and such.

I don't mean that you should actively 'hate' someone, but I'm using the word as just the opposite of 'love'. Going out of your way to hate anything is never productive.

Quote:

Quote:
Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #40
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
You're actually asking me why you should hate Saddam Hussein?

I don't see why whether it's good for you or not is relevant at all.

Yes, I am. I'm asking why, while not condoning his behavior, you should actively spend time being bilious and full of venom over Saddam Hussein. I am asking that.

Whether it's good for you or not is relevant because I'm making an argument that it appeals to your betterment to not spend your time, energy, thoughts, emotions, etc. on hating someone. Do other things, like (if you desire) spending time co-operating with those trying to end the rule of dictators and establish more fair and equitable forms of government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
I don't mean that you should actively 'hate' someone, but I'm using the word as just the opposite of 'love'. Going out of your way to hate anything is never productive.

Well, this is true. But I'm positing that hating period is unproductive in the long-term. Short-term, I could see how hatred might inspire, for instance, a nation to rise up and overthrow its brutal dictator. Over the long-term, if they treat that dictator badly after overthrowing him, it sours everything.

Likewise, you could apply what I'm saying to smaller term examples, such as your child rapist example. Yeah, maybe you personally would NOT be committing an acts motivated by hatred (such as attacking the rapist), but it still wouldn't get you anything personally to have hated.

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 12-30-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Rate This Thread: