Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Bradojo1400

Noob's First Question, help is appreciated!

Heyy UG community, this is my first post/thread/thing on the site.
Im an aspiring musician teen whom enjoys to play piano and guitar, and to compose and play around with Garageband in my free time ( which there isn't a lot of because of school and hellwork) Anyways, I have a question about recording electric guitar.

So Garageband gives you all different kinds of amps, tone pedals and such for electric guitar. I have a Tascam interface driver thing and so Ive plugged my electric guitar through it and have used it to record random riffs and pieces in the past but i always notice this:

The sound quality is always horrible!

Like, it sounds like just a really crappy amp is being used when i record my guitar. Im always trying to get a distorted rock sound. Like the regular modern rock or pop rocks sound you hear these days, not like hard metal sounds or anything, but all the amps and garageband effects are really bad quality and unclear.

My question is, how do well-known bands and musicians or just other everyday music enthusiast get such good electric guitar sound?

Does my driver suck? Do they record by playing through their amp into a mic?

I just want to know how to get a professional sound, clear distortion electric guitar, if that makes sense :P

Lol once again im new to this whole site really so i hope i was sorta clear enough, any help is very much appreciatedd!! i hope someone responds, thanks

Brad

Last edited by Bradojo1400 : 12-30-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Bradojo1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

Dude, wrong forum. This is Q&A for new members about the forum itself, not music. You want to ask that in the ''guitar gear'' forum, which discusses amps, interfaces, recording etc...
yoyoloto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:45 AM   #3
jebbe9696

Well first of all, most "professionals" , probably don't use amp simulators, in garageband.

If the sound you want is a real amplifier, then for the best sound, you should probably record yourself playing through an amplifier.

If thats not possible, you can try other amp simulators, there is a sticky for that in the recording subforum ( i think its there). Distorted tones is pretty hard to get right when using amp simulators, you usually have to tweak the shit out of it, and can take quite a while.

I wish you good luck.
jebbe9696 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:19 AM   #4
ruletheneck
Registered Abuser

yeah, for the most part it's mic'd up amps. i'm also a teen on a budget, but im lucky enough to have a dad who's also an enthusiast so he invested in a mic and I invested in an audio interface thing.

before i had those, i used to put the guitar through whatever practise amp I had and run a cable from the amp's headphone output straight into the computer's mic input (always test record to make sure it isn't clipping)
still a fair bit of digital-sounding fuzz to it, but have the gain a little lower than usual and (from memory) kick the mids/bass up a little and you'll be right.

in summary:
if you can put it through an amp, do
if you can record it through a mic, do
if you can send the signal through an audio interface/DI box/mixer thing or whatever, do

if anyone disagrees, they probably know better so take their word for it cheers!
ruletheneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
amadasady
Banned

i am a player for game, if you also like, you can clik the following website, more excited enjoyable game welcome you to here

Buy Runescape Gold|Cheap Diablo 3 Gold|Cheap Guild Wars 2 Gold|RS Gold
amadasady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Bradojo1400

Yoyoloto, thanks lol, im just getting to know how to use the site, but thanks
Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
Bradojo1400

Thanks guys for your responses and so yea i have a mic (that isnt the computers mic) so i guess ill record by playing through my amp, into my mic, and that should get better sound hopefully! Maybe ill have to screw around with mixing multiple tracks for each guitar part or whatever..

Thanks again
Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
Bradojo1400

Could it also be due to the distortion pedal i use?
Old 12-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

If you want the high tech clean sound that musicians get nowadays, then you should use equalizers and many tools to get the sound exactly how it should be. Distortion definitely messed up with the quality, but it can be arranged with playing with the volume. Do you play with headphones ? Try with and without headphones, see if the quality changes. See if reducing the volume helps too, reducing the gain can also help. The tone can have an impact on quality.

Keep in mind that modern rockers record in studios, and if you know nirvana, then you probably know of their overly-distorted sounds, well let me tell you that those ''crappy'' sounds were recorded in a professional studio, with the soundproof room, the glass and everything .

Also, try recording and hearing the recording. I've noticed that the recording sounds a little better than playing live, so it could be that too.

Summary of what I just said:

-Check if you have an equalizer and tweak it a bit.
-Reduce distortion/gain/volume
-Try headphones on and off, any difference ?
-Check if the recording sounds better than the live, it should.

I use reaper with a guitar rig 5 plug in, and I am VERY satisfied with the quality, so if anything fails and you don't mind letting go of garage band, that's the software to look for. (free for 2 months, just uninstall and reinstall it and its free for life)
Old 12-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
Bradojo1400

Alright, im going to try all the things you suggested.. One thing though, im unfamiliar with a lot of terms and things for recording and such so dont make fun lol, but is an equalizer on the amp, or on the Reaper and Garageband softwares? Whats it do? And whats is a "rig" ???

Stupid moments sorry, haha but i play instruments better than I know the terminology lol

Im going to play around with those things you mentoined though.

thanks again

Last edited by Bradojo1400 : 12-31-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
yoyoloto
Blue dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradojo1400
Alright, im going to try all the things you suggested.. One thing though, im unfamiliar with a lot of terms and things for recording and such so dont make fun lol, but is an equalizer on the amp, or on the Reaper and Garageband softwares? Whats it do? And whats is a "rig" ???

Stupid moments sorry, haha but i play instruments better than I know the terminology lol

Im going to play around with those things you mentoined though.

thanks again

An equalizer is kind of an effect, I'm sure you must have it on garageband, I used to have it on my old nokia phone a couple of years ago lol I don't think it's on the amp though. An equalizer can change the levels of treble,bass, reverb and stuff like that. It's a multi-effect package if you will, but it only has basic stuff, so no distortion, tremolo etc...

''Guitar rig'' is a software, what I meant by the guitar rig 5 plug in is that I downloaded the ''Guitar rig 5'' plug in, thanks to google and maybe thanks to the pirate bay I guess. If you get that plug in you basically have all you need, it has like 500 presets and I don't know how many effects it has, but it has a son of a b*tch-load. It's very fun.

I just started recording about 2 weeks ago, so trust me you'll get used to it really fast, you'll be switching those effects on an off before you know it.

Rate This Thread: