Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
Ios55

Any help would be appreciated

I've been playing for about a year now and i've gotten pretty proficient at playing open chord and barre chord songs, but I seem to have hit a wall in the other area's like scales, theory and lead riff type stuff. I haven't really gotten any clarity on what scales or techniques I should be learning, and playing the same stuff is obviously very boring and doesn't progress anything. I just need a little direction so I can put my practice time into better use. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ios55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
stepchildusmc

most lead riff stuff is hidden in scales. just start working on one or two scales( i should listen to me, im horrible about practicing my scales) at a time. there are some great lessons here on the UG site that'll help immensely. another good site is justinguitar. great place to start working on basic scale theory.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Bikewer

Like most, I started out learning several moveable pentatonic scale shapes. Pentatonics are great to begin with because they sound good over lots of different types of music. Blues, rock, country...
Learn those basic shapes, where the major notes in each fall out, and how to move them around on the fretboard.
Note... Scales are just building blocks, they are not music. So learn the scales to give yourself a platform to work from.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
tuxs

Go learn the 12 bar blue's shuffle in E or A the easyist. Practise it untill its in your head. Now
add some little pentatonic minor or blue's scale rifts, now your jamin now your havin fun. Also like Stepchild said check out justinguitar.com. Cheers
tuxs is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: