Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-31-2012, 01:18 AM   #1
LizardKing56

Please Help With My Pedalboard!

Hey UG, I've been looking for these answers and haven't quite gotten the reassurance I need. I've always been a guitar to amp only guy, maybe with a distortion pedal. But recently I ordered a lot of pedals and I want to put together a pedalboard. Here are my questions:

1) Everyone always talks about running a pedal into the FX Loop, do you have to? People say it is bad for your pedals to all run from your guitar into your amp. Is this true or can I just run my guitar through my pedals and into my amp without anything going wrong or breaking?

2) Is it bad to have multiple pedals on at once? I plan to always keep my Dyna Comp and ISP Decimator on. But when I use distortion or something else that could be 4 pedals on at once.

3) What is the right order to put my pedals in?? I already know tuner into wah first, but I'm lost.

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
Crybaby Slash Wah
MXR Dyna Comp
Fulltone OCD
Jekyll & Hyde
Big Muff Pi
Boss Chorus Ensemble
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
ISP Decimator

Please help me and I apologize if these questions are stupid to you, I am just new to this. Thank you so much!

Last edited by LizardKing56 : 12-31-2012 at 01:19 AM.
LizardKing56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.

It's not bad for your pedals. Whoever said that is talking about of their ass.

It can be bad for your sound though. Some types of pedals (typically time based) really sound much better in the loop.

All of my pedals are always on all of the time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that, except that sometimes some pedals don't like to play well together. This also has a lot to do with how you power your pedals - if you don't have a good, clean power supply, you can have some problems with certain problems (typically a lot of hiss and noise).

There are some extremely common tendencies, but there isn't technically a "right" or "wrong" way to order your chain.

Personally, I would go:

Tuner -> Comp -> J&H -> OCD -> Muff -> Wah -> ISP -> Amp input
Amp Send -> Chorus -> Delay -> Amp Return

I am pretty strongly a "put the noise gate in the loop" kind of guy, but seeing as you only have on (I'm guessing it's not the G String?), and you have a ton of ODs, putting it after those might be more beneficial.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 12-31-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
LizardKing56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
It's not bad for your pedals. Whoever said that is talking about of their ass.

It can be bad for your sound though. Some types of pedals (typically time based) really sound much better in the loop.

All of my pedals are always on all of the time. There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing that, except that sometimes some pedals don't like to play well together. This also has a lot to do with how you power your pedals - if you don't have a good, clean power supply, you can have some problems with certain problems (typically a lot of hiss and noise).

There are some extremely common tendencies, but there isn't technically a "right" or "wrong" way to order your chain.

Personally, I would go:

I am pretty strongly a "put the noise gate in the loop" kind of guy, but seeing as you only have on (I'm guessing it's not the G String?), and you have a ton of ODs, putting it after those might be more beneficial.

Thank you so much you answered it best. So I can run my MXR Carbon Copy Delay in front and it will be fine? I just have to mess with it to get the sound right?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Well the problem with delay is that it gets all muddy and jumbled if you run distortion after it. That's why it's so commonly found in the loop. If you're running a clean amp and only using your pedals for distortion, then you can run what you'd normally run in the loop after them.

Though it's worth pointing out that pedals in front are generally a lot more subtle than when they're in the loop, so in that way as well it can be hard to get a good sound out of chorus and delay in front.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
AWACS
I want all of the things

A general rule of thumb I've tried to go by that I've read is time based effects and modulation go in the loop, everything else goes to the amp.

Ultimately it is your setup, and tone/sound goes above everything.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212
Strymon Timeline
Dunlop CryBaby
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronic Corona
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

TS: What kind of amp do you have?

Quote:
Personally, I would go:

I would say it depends on what amp the TS has. If it's a high gain hiss monster I would put it in the loop, but if it's a lower gain amp he may be able to get away with putting it out front.

What I've been wondering is if putting the decimator in the loop will be as effective at getting rid of the noise from the guitar and pedals as putting it before the amp. I used mine in the loop to get rid of the hiss from my 6505, but I have also heard of some guys using two noise gates, one before the preamp and one after.

I would suggest trying the Decimator in the loop between the chorus and the delay. That always did the trick for me. Then you can compare it's effectiveness with having it in front of the amp. Beware if you put it after the delay, it will cut of some of the delay repeats.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
LizardKing56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremolo Bum
TS: What kind of amp do you have?

I would say it depends on what amp the TS has. If it's a high gain hiss monster I would put it in the loop, but if it's a lower gain amp he may be able to get away with putting it out front.

What I've been wondering is if putting the decimator in the loop will be as effective at getting rid of the noise from the guitar and pedals as putting it before the amp. I used mine in the loop to get rid of the hiss from my 6505, but I have also heard of some guys using two noise gates, one before the preamp and one after.

I would suggest trying the Decimator in the loop between the chorus and the delay. That always did the trick for me. Then you can compare it's effectiveness with having it in front of the amp. Beware if you put it after the delay, it will cut of some of the delay repeats.

I have a Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
Perverockstar69

experiment and find out what works for you, lots of fun =)

being a HRD I'd run all pedals in front, but thats my personal preference

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)

Last edited by Perverockstar69 : 01-03-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

Quote:

Personally, I would go:

everybody does it differently, offworld did a fine job.

the only thing in there is possibly the wah before the dirt pedals. thats just me though. and if i think about it, i will try it later tonight.

but one more time everybody does it different ways. offworld had a solid post.

gas list:
Strymon Mobius
Diamond Compressor
Musket Fuzz
and a few guitars
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: