Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-31-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
Danooj

Very cheap bass guitar?

Ok, I have a budget of 180. And as well as bass I will also need a practise amp, so what would you guys recomend? I'm sorry for the such low price but its all I got to spare.
Danooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
moody git
I bad writing

as far as i can find, the 'standard' starter packs from both squier and ibanez are a little over your budget ~220, perhaps you could check ebay? you're more than likely going to get a better deal used
Old 12-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

Aria IGB 68 - currently going for just over 100 with less than an hour to go, Rrp ~ 450.

Very nice bass
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:04 AM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

ebay is a good place to look. I got a Peavey Milestone III bass on there a few years ago for about 70, someone else on here found one recently for even less. They're a good solid bass, you won't find much better for the money.

As for amps, don't have much experience with bass amps but again, on ebay I got a Marshall B65 a few months ago for 50. Doubt it would be gigworthy, but it seems like a solid practice amp.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:11 AM   #5
xxxxChrisTxxxx

^^^as above, check on ebay there's always semi-decent starter kits on there 'bought for kid last year, hardly used'

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181052448466

Last edited by xxxxChrisTxxxx : 12-31-2012 at 07:12 AM.
xxxxChrisTxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #6
tommygun99

well, if you have to buy a bass just wait...with only that little money you will buy a shitty bass that will not keep strings well tuned and things like that. what i suggest is an ibanez or a squier. about the amp, if you have a cheap bass the amp is not that important....just go to the shop and buy a 15 watt bass amp......dont buy cheap thing because you just waste money. wait till you got some more bucks (excuse my spelling i am not english)
tommygun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Where are you located? Can you go used? My whole rig cost me about $100. I got the guitar used from someone I knew who was desperate for cash and the amp on clearance at Guitar Center. Bass is Aria Pro II and amp is Acoustic 10w, paid $50 each for them.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #8
John Swift

I'd be wary of buying used amps on Ebay as our guitarist found out to his cost.

I bought a bass that was supposed to be in mint condition from Ebay, it turned out to be irreparably damaged, Ebay were of no help whatsoever.
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:31 PM   #9
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun99
well, if you have to buy a bass just wait...with only that little money you will buy a shitty bass that will not keep strings well tuned and things like that. what i suggest is an ibanez or a squier. about the amp, if you have a cheap bass the amp is not that important....just go to the shop and buy a 15 watt bass amp......dont buy cheap thing because you just waste money. wait till you got some more bucks (excuse my spelling i am not english)

Actually a cheap bass can sound quite good through a decent amp setup as does my Fender Affinity Jazz Bass 5, whereas a cheap amp will sound cheap whatever Bass is put through it
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #10
Hergiswi
Clarinet Guy

I have had extremely good experience with the Silvertone LB11 starter pack. It's only $199 USD and comes with the bass and amp, along with some other crappy accessories. I've been playing for 10 years and I still use the thing today (alongside another bass, but the point still stands).
Hergiswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:34 AM   #11
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swift
I'd be wary of buying used amps on Ebay as our guitarist found out to his cost.

I bought a bass that was supposed to be in mint condition from Ebay, it turned out to be irreparably damaged, Ebay were of no help whatsoever.

I've bought & sold about 50 guitars using ebay over the past 10-11 ish years. Never had a problem
Jet City JCA22H
Old 01-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #12
John Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
I've bought & sold about 50 guitars using ebay over the past 10-11 ish years. Never had a problem

Lucky you. The two peavey Classic 30s our guitarist bought on Ebay had a very short lifespan.
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn

Last edited by John Swift : 01-02-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #13
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

I've bought three basses on eBay and only had a minor problem with one of them. It arrived with a rusty string and a couple of rusty screws. It was one of those really cheap starter things to learn on though bought just because at the time my first bass was too heavy to play for long. So I wasn't too bothered. As long as you check feedback and bass reviews, double and triple check the description before clicking, use Paypal which has built in protection and don't buy from someone who's never sold before you should be fine.

+1 to used though. There are some very good deals around. If I'd had your budget specifically when I bought my Ibanez a few months ago, I'd have still had 120 left over to get an amp with and probably would have grabbed a larger used amp from eBay to go with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swift
Lucky you. The two peavey Classic 30s our guitarist bought on Ebay had a very short lifespan.

Not so much a case of lucky me, it's more like unlucky him.

For every transaction that goes wrong on ebay there are thousands where people get exactly what they wanted.

Even when everything isn't as it appeared to be on the description, ebay always favours the buyer so if he did genuinely get faulty kit that was falsely advertised he should have got his money back by processing a return through ebay's complaints procedures.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 01-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #15
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danooj
Ok, I have a budget of 180. And as well as bass I will also need a practise amp, so what would you guys recomend? I'm sorry for the such low price but its all I got to spare.

I would recommend you stretch that budget to get an Ibanez Jumpstart kit.

As far as I'm concerned, Ibanez are the be all and end all of starter/budget bass.
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:49 PM   #16
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

There are used starter packs around too, some of which have hardly been used. Especially right after Christmas. For example: Black Ibanez with amp and lead, sold by a guy with 100% positive feedback. Though that one is collection only so you'd need to be nearby.

Quote:
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Entry level Yamaha's are pretty solid too. But I think they might be a little pricier than the Ibanez ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
J3G2

Just a suggestion here. A Washburn T14 4 string bass new. It's around 130-140 quid as far as I know. With the remaining cash you should be able to get a decent practise amp from eBay or more likely from gumtree. With gumtree check your local listings and there should be something there that you can try before buying, so you don't get taken for a mug. If its a bit further away then try get a lift from someone and you don't have to worry about carrying it back. Peavey are great for low prices. Good luck man!
J3G2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #19
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

Careful with Gumtree though. Their moderation sucks and since it doesn't use Paypal or anything like it, there isn't really any protection.

Quote:
Old 01-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #20
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck

The Gumtree protection is going local and trying the stuff out. I bought my entire rig through Gumtree and everything is completely sound. Ibanez GSR200 - brilliant starter bass which I use for gigs regularly and Ashdown MAG 300 plus 410 cab. Previously bought an Ashdown Electric Blue 130 combo and, again, no problems because I met the sellers in person and I knew where they lived if anything went wrong! I know it's not the most desirable set-up in the world but it works brilliantly for me.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC

My Band, RedEye:

http://redeyeband.weebly.com/
RubberSoul54321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: