Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 12-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
Erra93
erriuyai
 
Erra93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Seymour Duncan Invader SH-8 coupled with what to get sort of a cleaner sound?

Guitar: Ibanez RGR321EX
Bridge pickup: Seymour Duncan Invader SH-8
Neck pickup: stock pickup
Strings: D'Addario light jazz (EJ21)
Tuning: Drop C


So yeah, what I would be most grateful to know is what neck pickup I should get to get a cleaner sound out of it, because currently it sounds pretty bad when I let the 3 higher strings ring (it sounds way distorted, and not in a good way, since it sounds distorted even when on a clean channel) and well.. I just don't like that.

Any help is appreciated and I'm sorry if I messed up, I did read the ultimate gear information sticky but didn't find what I was looking for in there!
__________________
Vona
(melodic hardcore - Stardust [single] out now!)

Last edited by Erra93 : 12-31-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Erra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #2
ragingkitty
meow?
 
ragingkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Sounds like Ibanez's crappy stock pups. Consider a Humbucker from Hell.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
what amp are you using?

almost anything will be cleaner than an invader, lol. a '59 is a nice all-rounder if you want to stick to duncan, but i don't really play in drop c and don't know how it'd handle that.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blew1
I've seen some great videos on YouTube e.g The Tone King


er....



Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
Erra93
erriuyai
 
Erra93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
what amp are you using?

almost anything will be cleaner than an invader, lol. a '59 is a nice all-rounder if you want to stick to duncan, but i don't really play in drop c and don't know how it'd handle that.


Oh, sorry! A Line 6 POD HD500.

Well, if I have to, I'll get a new bridge pickup as well, but the sound I'm going for is a kind of Periphery sound both in terms of clean and distorted (meaning I do play with both distortion and clean channels, not at the same time on the same guitar though obviously, but possibly on different guitar parts, then again, that's also pretty obvious I guess..)

So what I need is a pickup to make the distortion and clean thingies sound more.. articulated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
Sounds like Ibanez's crappy stock pups. Consider a Humbucker from Hell.


Yep, the neck pickup is horrible I'll look it up!
__________________
Vona
(melodic hardcore - Stardust [single] out now!)
Erra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
ragingkitty
meow?
 
ragingkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
You can try a D Activator bridge. Otherwise the D Sonic or it's derivatives are always good for a tight articulate sound.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Erra93
erriuyai
 
Erra93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
You can try a D Activator bridge. Otherwise the D Sonic or it's derivatives are always good for a tight articulate sound.


So one of those for bridge and the other you posted (humbucker from hell) for the neck?

Edit: After looking them up, they're all bridge pickups, so I would still need a new neck pickup since it's the neck pickup that's stock (and is the worst) :p

Edit 2: I'm all for changing the bridge pickup to a dimarzio though, I've only heard positive things about them! It's just that I'd still need a new neck pickup! I'm sorry if I'm making myself overly clear, I just suck at explaining, so I feel like I have to
__________________
Vona
(melodic hardcore - Stardust [single] out now!)

Last edited by Erra93 : 12-31-2012 at 09:26 AM.
Erra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
yeah i don't really play any djent at all, but from what (little) i've heard, i think you want less gain rather than more, and the invader kinda has the rep for being muddy too, to add insult to injury.

if you want to stick to the big guys, dimarzio paf pros might be worth considering.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blew1
I've seen some great videos on YouTube e.g The Tone King


er....



Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Erra93
erriuyai
 
Erra93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
yeah i don't really play any djent at all, but from what (little) i've heard, i think you want less gain rather than more, and the invader kinda has the rep for being muddy too, to add insult to injury.

if you want to stick to the big guys, dimarzio paf pros might be worth considering.


Ah, so I should definitely remove the invader then! Are you saying paf pros in both neck and bridge or am I confused?
__________________
Vona
(melodic hardcore - Stardust [single] out now!)
Erra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
ragingkitty
meow?
 
ragingkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Check the website again, the description for the Humbucker from Hell also reads:

"Recommended For

Neck position in solid body guitars."

However you can also slot it in the bridge position.

Neck: 36th Anniversary PAF / Air Classic / HFH
Bridge: D Sonic / D Activator / CrunchLab

EDIT: PAF Pros are nice but don't sound PAFs. For djent, you want a tight, articulate and clear sound. Your bass should be tight and pronounced, not flabby or muddy. Highs should be subtle and not piercing.

Not sure if the PAF Pro has the tight bass you'd want.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.

Last edited by ragingkitty : 12-31-2012 at 09:40 AM.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #10
Minimallamb
Registered User
 
Minimallamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
I think an Invader would probably be too hot. As far as I know, Misha used a Dimarzio Crunchlab/Liqifire combo on the first album so that might be worth looking into. Especially as he also used a POD on his earlier demos
__________________
Misha Mansoor:
Quote:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
Minimallamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
Erra93
erriuyai
 
Erra93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
Check the website again, the description for the Humbucker from Hell also reads:

"Recommended For

Neck position in solid body guitars."

However you can also slot it in the bridge position.

Neck: 36th Anniversary PAF / Air Classic / HFH
Bridge: D Sonic / D Activator / CrunchLab

EDIT: PAF Pros are nice but don't sound PAFs. For djent, you want a tight, articulate and clear sound. Your bass should be tight and pronounced, not flabby or muddy. Highs should be subtle and not piercing.

Not sure if the PAF Pro has the tight bass you'd want.


Thank you! I'll have to check them all out then, you seem knowledgeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimallamb
I think an Invader would probably be too hot. As far as I know, Misha used a Dimarzio Crunchlab/Liqifire combo on the first album so that might be worth looking into. Especially as he also used a POD on his earlier demos


Aah, thanks! That is definitely the kind of sound I'm going for so I'll check them out as well

Edit: Think I've got all the info I wanted, thanks everyone!
__________________
Vona
(melodic hardcore - Stardust [single] out now!)

Last edited by Erra93 : 12-31-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Erra93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingkitty
EDIT: PAF Pros are nice but don't sound PAFs. For djent, you want a tight, articulate and clear sound. Your bass should be tight and pronounced, not flabby or muddy. Highs should be subtle and not piercing.

Not sure if the PAF Pro has the tight bass you'd want.


they're very clear- and modern-sounding. as you said, though, whether they have the super-tight bass, i dunno. as i said, i don't really play djent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erra93
Ah, so I should definitely remove the invader then! Are you saying paf pros in both neck and bridge or am I confused?


yeah, if you don't mind the neck pickup being a little louder. and/or if the bridge paf pro is hot enough (it's not very hot).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blew1
I've seen some great videos on YouTube e.g The Tone King


er....



Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
ChrisBlock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
If you want to be 100% Periphery, go Crunch Lab in bridge and Liquifire in the neck. Both by dimarzio. It's what Bulb from Periphery uses.
__________________
Guitars :
Gibson LP Traditional
Esp Eclipse I CTM
Fender Am. Std. Tele
Guild D-6
Amps :
EVH 5150III/Matching cab
ChrisBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
ragingkitty
meow?
 
ragingkitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
they're very clear- and modern-sounding. as you said, though, whether they have the super-tight bass, i dunno. as i said, i don't really play djent.



yeah, if you don't mind the neck pickup being a little louder. and/or if the bridge paf pro is hot enough (it's not very hot).


From my personal experience, most aftermarket pickups tend to have tighter bass than most generic stock pickups. Unless the pickup was designed to be loose or has a lot of windings without a sufficiently strong magnet, or a overly strong magent without sufficient coil winds.

So it really comes down to whether it is tight enough, that'd be a personal preference.

Also if your neck pup is too hot, you can always adjust the pup height to balance out the output.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
 
Dave_Mc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Northern Ireland
^ yeah
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blew1
I've seen some great videos on YouTube e.g The Tone King


er....



Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Paddynbob
Registered User
 
Paddynbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
what amp are you using?
Paddynbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:30 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.