User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-31-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Caseywtf

theory site

I found this site http://www.musictheory.net/lessons
Seems interesting in the way it explains theory

Can someone with theory knowledge take a look and let me know what you think?

If posting this is somehow outside the forum rules, please let me know or kill the thread.

Thanks,
Caseywtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
chronowarp

Yes, it's a good site with a lot of good resources.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #3
Caseywtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronowarp
Yes, it's a good site with a lot of good resources.

Thanks, trying to learn theory, wanted to make sure it was not a BS site.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Myshadow46_2
Join the pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseywtf
Thanks, trying to learn theory, wanted to make sure it was not a BS site.

It's one of the best IMO
Myshadow46_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
20Tigers

It's a good introduction. It's lacking in some areas and other areas I wouldn't even bother with. (I haven't been through it all but what I have seen...)

They key signature calculation is a different way of calculating key signatures. I haven't seen that before but most sources would teach the circle of fifths. The circle of fifths works pretty well and is fairly simple. The mathematical system that website teaches seems a little convoluted by comparison.

The "common chord progressions" section is worth skipping. Using a chart will not really help with understanding chord progressions. Understanding root movement, voice leading, harmonic function, and the idea of tension and resolve will tell you how and why chords progressions work. Receiving a chart that says this goes to this which can go to this or this is prescriptive, restrictive, and provides no depth to the understanding.

I'm not missing the point of the website - present basic music theory concepts in a very simple way. But there are pros and cons to this. The pros are that it is an easy introduction to basic music theory concepts. The downside is that the information lacks depth regarding the ideas that underpin some of those concepts and this can lead to gaps in knowledge base and/or a lack of understanding as to WHY something works the way it does.

It is a good source though. Just don't make it your only source of information. Seek out as many sources as possible. That way you can cross reference information to determine what is solid and what might be a little more dubious.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Caseywtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
It's a good introduction. It's lacking in some areas and other areas I wouldn't even bother with. (I haven't been through it all but what I have seen...)

They key signature calculation is a different way of calculating key signatures. I haven't seen that before but most sources would teach the circle of fifths. The circle of fifths works pretty well and is fairly simple. The mathematical system that website teaches seems a little convoluted by comparison.

The "common chord progressions" section is worth skipping. Using a chart will not really help with understanding chord progressions. Understanding root movement, voice leading, harmonic function, and the idea of tension and resolve will tell you how and why chords progressions work. Receiving a chart that says this goes to this which can go to this or this is prescriptive, restrictive, and provides no depth to the understanding.

I'm not missing the point of the website - present basic music theory concepts in a very simple way. But there are pros and cons to this. The pros are that it is an easy introduction to basic music theory concepts. The downside is that the information lacks depth regarding the ideas that underpin some of those concepts and this can lead to gaps in knowledge base and/or a lack of understanding as to WHY something works the way it does.

It is a good source though. Just don't make it your only source of information. Seek out as many sources as possible. That way you can cross reference information to determine what is solid and what might be a little more dubious.

Thank you!

Rate This Thread: