Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 07:06 AM   #21
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
Seymour Duncan Distortion or Gibson 500T should do well for that old school DM. Maybe a DiMarzio Super Distoriton.

That sound is honestly really mellow. Not what I think of when I think of DM at all. It's almost PAFy (may even be!). So yeah... definitely give those 3 a look.
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 01-02-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #22
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleguitar
I've read many threads where people keep praising the Vypyr as the ultimate amplifier for a guitarist on a budget. I see such recommendations so often that I'm starting to think that most people in here are somehow affiliated with Peavey (btw 5150/6505 are also frequently recommended even when the person asking for advice is not looking for ultra high-gain tones). To me, Peavey Vypyrs are the same bunches of digital crap as any other modeling amp. People always bash such amps as blackstar ht series and say that there is solid state crap going on here, but FFS there is still more "tube power" there than in any modeling amp out there. I am personally not a fan of these blackstar amps as I think they sound pretty thin, but I also think that so frequently recommended Peavey Vypyr is not so much better.

Just my 2c


The reason the Vypyr is so highly recommended is for precisely the reason that you're wrong - it's not digital crap. The rest of the modelers all are. The Vypyr is the only one that has a true analog design. Real analog distortion. It sounds amazing compared to the other entry levelers.

People bash Blackstar mostly because they're a shitty company who thrive on false advertising. I and I think others don't want to see them supported because of their practices. On top of that their low end amps just kind of suck. These are the guys who brought out the masterpiece that was the JCM900 after all.

"tube power" doesn't really necessarily mean anything anyway. Look at the Vox modelers. They have a 12AX7 in it, but it doesn't do shit. The Blackstars have tubes, but pretty much all of the dirt is coming from opamps.

The Vypyr doesn't need a tube gimmick to sound great, it's just designed well in the first place.



If you really can't tell the difference between it and the other digital shit out... well get your ears checked.
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #23
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist
 
terribleguitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Moscow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
These are the guys who brought out the masterpiece that was the JCM900 after all.

Hold on! You mean the engineers of Blackstar once worked for Marshall and developed the JCM900 Dual Reverb? Wow
terribleguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #24
MaaZeus
Registered User
 
MaaZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
The reason the Vypyr is so highly recommended is for precisely the reason that you're wrong - it's not digital crap. The rest of the modelers all are. The Vypyr is the only one that has a true analog design. Real analog distortion. It sounds amazing compared to the other entry levelers.


The Vypyr doesn't need a tube gimmick to sound great, it's just designed well in the first place.




WAAAIIT!!!! I always thought Vypyr was a digital modeler, just a good one. The reason why a beginner like me went for real tube amp like Valveking because I use my Behringer pedal (boss hm2 clone) for having fun with Swedish death metal sound for time to time, and didnt even give Vypyrs a second thought because its quite known fact that pedals and digital modelers do not match. But if Vypyr is all analog, that should mean the pedal should work just fine!?


Quote:
These are the guys who brought out the masterpiece that was the JCM900 after all.


Implying that JCM900 is poor. But then again this is coming from person who loves old Valvestates, so...
__________________

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #25
its_minchew
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
If bugs me when people talk about the Vypyr as a one trick pony. I have the 75w witha sanpera 2 and its been a godsend for me. I use if for 3 different cover bands and my originals. I use if for classic rock, soul, blues and modern rock. If you can tweak and EQ you can dial in great tones. I got mine for $200 used.
its_minchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
romeozdistress
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
try to save up for the used peavey vypyr tube 60
__________________
Ibanez VBT700
Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Blackstar HT1MC
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #27
Alucard817
Registered User
 
Alucard817's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
WAAAIIT!!!! I always thought Vypyr was a digital modeler, just a good one. The reason why a beginner like me went for real tube amp like Valveking because I use my Behringer pedal (boss hm2 clone) for having fun with Swedish death metal sound for time to time, and didnt even give Vypyrs a second thought because its quite known fact that pedals and digital modelers do not match. But if Vypyr is all analog, that should mean the pedal should work just fine!?




Implying that JCM900 is poor. But then again this is coming from person who loves old Valvestates, so...

Nope. Vypyrs are analog. All the circuitry is analog, hell even the SHarc (Super Harvard Architecture) processor is used exclusively for analog equipment. For all intents and purposes it is an analog processor.

This is one of the reasons Vypyrs are so highly praised. The signal going in from the guitar does NOT need to be converted to digital so there is no signal degradation/loss like you find in the spiders.

Heres a test. Grab a Fender MIM Strat and a Gibson Les Paul. Play both through a spider. You will notice that they sound almost identical. The reason for this is because the analog guitar signal must be converted to digital so the onboard processor knows what to do with it. The spider then has circuitry to compensate for the original analog signal loss (which sucks) which is another reason the two above guitars sound nearly the same.

This is not the case however for the Fender Mustang, I don't know much about it's circuitry so I don't know how they got around the conversion problem.

Back to the Vypyr. Since the Vypyr is analog there is no conversion, no signal degradation, so you hear a more natural tone from the amp.

Okay I'm done.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #28
hopespaul
Late-night user
 
hopespaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
I put a Rockfield Mafia in the bridge of my no-brand japanese guitar and I favor it for metalcore over my Gibson SG Standard. It picks up well if you down-tune, and has a gritty but clear sound. In case you're wondering what bands use it - I know Red Chord does, but there's a full list of sponsored artists on Rockfield's website.
__________________
It's all about feel
hopespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #29
J_W
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Death metal, solid state, cheap. Sounds like you need a Crate.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 PM   #30
ilikekfc
Registered User
 
ilikekfc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charvel1995
I'm just gonna go ahead and recommend the Vyper.

Until we get a budget. until then, Vyper.



seriously? the peavy vypyr? they suck, i had one for a few years and even got the foot controller foe it. ok it sounds OK but its too complicated and there are pletty of amps out there that have X100 better sound, look around and find one you like, dont make the mistake i did and go for what people say are good.
ilikekfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #31
dannyalcatraz
Registered User
 
dannyalcatraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Hmmm...

I'd consider:

1) Lace Pickups- Alumitone Deathbuckers or Matt Pike Dirty Heshers
3) Tesla pickups- maybe OPUS-1
__________________
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #32
Alucard817
Registered User
 
Alucard817's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikekfc
seriously? the peavy vypyr? they suck, i had one for a few years and even got the foot controller foe it. ok it sounds OK but its too complicated and there are pletty of amps out there that have X100 better sound, look around and find one you like, dont make the mistake i did and go for what people say are good.

Really? Really? It was too hard to figure out? First I've heard of this.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
In the end, the only question is: what bass would Jesus play?

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #33
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
 
jeleopard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
Really? Really? It was too hard to figure out? First I've heard of this.


I mean, it's so hard! There's stuff like... Rec... and DZL... like wtf is that. And Tubescreamer? What? Low mid high EQ? Post and pre gain, what's the difference?



OT: The Vypyr is great man.
__________________
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #34
Offworld92
One among the fence.
 
Offworld92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
^ Even though it is pretty funny, a beginner honestly wouldn't know what any of that is.

Not that that's an excuse.

I got a Vypyr before I ever discovered this forum. I played it and a Spider and a Vox VT, and I very simply just sat down, played some simple riffs, and listened very closely. Even to my undeveloped ear, I could tell the Vypyr was a little better than the rest. My dad wanted me to get the Spider.

So...
__________________
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #35
|Long|
String Theory
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
It could be worth looking into a RAT clone pedal. Check out some YT clips to see if they can get you where you need to be. Some of the clones have multiple clipping settings that can send you from hell and back.
__________________
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:33 AM   #36
MaaZeus
Registered User
 
MaaZeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
Nope. Vypyrs are analog. All the circuitry is analog, hell even the SHarc (Super Harvard Architecture) processor is used exclusively for analog equipment. For all intents and purposes it is an analog processor.

This is one of the reasons Vypyrs are so highly praised. The signal going in from the guitar does NOT need to be converted to digital so there is no signal degradation/loss like you find in the spiders.

Heres a test. Grab a Fender MIM Strat and a Gibson Les Paul. Play both through a spider. You will notice that they sound almost identical. The reason for this is because the analog guitar signal must be converted to digital so the onboard processor knows what to do with it. The spider then has circuitry to compensate for the original analog signal loss (which sucks) which is another reason the two above guitars sound nearly the same.

This is not the case however for the Fender Mustang, I don't know much about it's circuitry so I don't know how they got around the conversion problem.

Back to the Vypyr. Since the Vypyr is analog there is no conversion, no signal degradation, so you hear a more natural tone from the amp.

Okay I'm done.




Well son of a... Despite my research I ended up making a mistake anyway. Not that Valveking is bad amp, infact I love it, but Vypyr is so versatile and if you are correct still can take pedals. God damnit.

Thanks for the information though.
__________________

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:48 AM   #37
jeleopard
Jackson Fanboy!
 
jeleopard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
^ Even though it is pretty funny, a beginner honestly wouldn't know what any of that is.

Not that that's an excuse.



Even when I started, I had a vague idea of what the EQ options did. Sometimes you just gotta sit down and play with things.
__________________
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Ibanez RG8
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
Schecter KM7
83 Gibson Explorer "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
Ibanez SR485
Peavey 6505+ 112
Line 6 POD HD500
jeleopard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #38
Sagolik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
doesent get more death metal than Boss HM-2 trough a clean tube amp!
Sagolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #39
dropb81
Registered User
 
dropb81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Nothing wrong with your amp man. The 25r is not a bad amp for what it is... Id play with your knobs a bit more. I dont think theres anything wrong with your guitar or pups either and I doubt you would notice much of a difference if you were to switch them out.

whoever says you cant use pedals with a solid state amp is just wrong. Throwing a metal zone pedal infront of an isp decimator would be one way to go, but honestly I bet you could get the tone you want simply by putting a $90 digitech rp90 in line.
dropb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #40
AGrimmDemise
Certified Badass
 
AGrimmDemise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nirvana, Nirvana, in the United Nirvana of Nirvana
Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropb81
Nothing wrong with your amp man. The 25r is not a bad amp for what it is... Id play with your knobs a bit more. I dont think theres anything wrong with your guitar or pups either and I doubt you would notice much of a difference if you were to switch them out.

whoever says you cant use pedals with a solid state amp is just wrong. Throwing a metal zone pedal infront of an isp decimator would be one way to go, but honestly I bet you could get the tone you want simply by putting a $90 digitech rp90 in line.

I've played with it a bit and it sounds a little better, but it still doesn't please me. I must've missed whoever said you can't use a pedal with a solid state...I mean, I use a BOSS DS-1 for Nirvana covers...

A friend of mine who's in a metal band uses a Crate cab and a peavey head, so I'll probably look into that. And I'll still look into pickups. Those DiMarzios people were talking about in the beginning don't sound half bad. All I have to do is have this stuff hold me off until I find a job and am able to buy a better guitar and amp.

Also, coincidentally, I was looking into buying a Metal Zone pedal a couple of months ago when I heard how it's got very high distortion. I was going to use it for an Acid Bath kind of sound.
__________________
Cassie likes to swallow
Bleeding will not stop
I left Cassie hollow
Cut you with my ****
AGrimmDemise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:50 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.