Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-31-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
thebestjoe

Ibanez TS-9 mod help

So I have a few LEDs laying around, and decided to replace the one that's in my TS with one because it isn't too bright on stage. My problem is that the new one doesn't light up. Can anyone offer any help?
Schecter Omen-7 with X2N and D-Thing
Douglas Scope 727
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
95thFallout
Dave Grohl's the Man

So without seeing what you have done, please make sure you have attached all the necessary wires the same way it originally was but to the new led. Now im sure you did this but redo it just incase. Try a different led if is doesn't work cause maybe this one is dead. If you still dont have any luck try connecting the old one. If you get power then im assuming the new led needs a different voltage/resistance and you would have to change the resistor on the board because the old resistor is eating to much juice for the new led to work.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #3
thebestjoe

I checked at least 5 times before that I was connecting everything right, and tried 2 lights. I kept a 9 volt on a clip nearby to test it out, and it only lit up when I attached the 9 volt battery. I ended up putting the original back in.

I suppose that to make it work, I'd have to change the resistors, but I don't know anything about that, so I'll just keep the one in there. Thanks for the help.
Douglas Scope 727
Old 01-01-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Griffin Effects

Probably shouldn't hook up a 9v directly to a LED, they usually can't handle the full 9v and will burn out pretty quick. An LED won't work when it's hooked up backwards. Try flipping it around.
Griffin Effects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
thebestjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin Effects
Probably shouldn't hook up a 9v directly to a LED, they usually can't handle the full 9v and will burn out pretty quick. An LED won't work when it's hooked up backwards. Try flipping it around.

I tried using gator clips with it in every way I could, still wouldn't light. I'm just gonna say oh well with this one and suck it up.
Douglas Scope 727
Old 01-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

He meant you need a resistor in-line with the LED. You probably cooked it with 9V and nothing to regulate the current.

You really should note what the forward bias is for the LEDs. Some are 1.7v while others are 3.6, 5v etc. if you switched the wrong value in that would explain why it did not light up.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
95thFallout
Dave Grohl's the Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by R45VT
He meant you need a resistor in-line with the LED. You probably cooked it with 9V and nothing to regulate the current.

You really should note what the forward bias is for the LEDs. Some are 1.7v while others are 3.6, 5v etc. if you switched the wrong value in that would explain why it did not light up.

Mhm exactly, that was a new years eve post so please excuse the lack of detail :P

Rate This Thread: